Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

18'' or 19'' wheels xc40

Views : 810

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 22:40   #1
ruralrob228

Default 18'' or 19'' wheels xc40

I have just ordered a T3 inscription auto and was given the option of upgrading the wheels to 19'' ,I can't decide if they are worth the additional £450 does anyone have the standard 6 spoke 18'' and are they happy with them or do they wish they had gone for the 19'' many thanks
ruralrob228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:09   #2
EssexExile
Master Member

Lots of opinions on this over the months. Personally I have small wheels and fat tyres on my car because I like comfort, others prefer big wheels and thin tyres because they like aesthetics or tight handling.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 08:53   #3
Forg

My 2c on this says "check tyres available at your local tyre shops".

It's worked out, where I am at least, that 15", 17" and 19" are more common than 16" or 18". And 18" is less common than 16". It may work out in 5 years that the higher-performance 19" tyre could work out cheaper to replace than the 18" which is currently cheaper (or is it? 18" is an odd size!).

I'm not saying all the talk about ride-comfort vs performance+cost is irrelevant, just that people sometimes forget that odd sizes like 18" can be more exxy for tyres in future.

Last edited by Forg; Jun 9th, 2021 at 08:55.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 16:54   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

19’ is not that big however it will no doubt lead to worse driving handling dynamics so I would not pay a premium to be less comfy.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 13:01   #5
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
19’ is not that big however it will no doubt lead to worse driving handling dynamics so I would not pay a premium to be less comfy.
What if you feel safer due to the feeling of having more control over what the car is doing? That feeling of safety & control is a form of comfort, and if the suspension is any good then there shoudn't be a lot of "jiggling" difference between 50-series tyres & 55-series tyres. They're both reasonably high profile for a modern car.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post: