Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat nav retrofit?

Views : 8521

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2016, 13:38   #1
PaulRS

Default Sat nav retrofit?

I am about to take delivery of my first ever Volvo, a V40 D2 SE.
My car comes with the 7" screen but weirdly doesn't include the sat nav. I thought the 7" screen had the sat nav as part of that option?! Anyway, is this a case of an easy retrofit upgrade by Volvo, i.e. software download and adding the NAV button or much more complicated and expensive.

I'm not massively fussed if I can't do it as the car has some nice options in place of this anyway; TFT active display, leather trim, panoramic roof and the
7" screen which is definitely wanted over the 5.....
PaulRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 20:02   #2
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRS View Post
I am about to take delivery of my first ever Volvo, a V40 D2 SE.
My car comes with the 7" screen but weirdly doesn't include the sat nav. I thought the 7" screen had the sat nav as part of that option?! Anyway, is this a case of an easy retrofit upgrade by Volvo, i.e. software download and adding the NAV button or much more complicated and expensive.

I'm not massively fussed if I can't do it as the car has some nice options in place of this anyway; TFT active display, leather trim, panoramic roof and the
7" screen which is definitely wanted over the 5.....
What year is the car?

I'm pretty certain that the only model years which sold the larger screen were the Sensus Connect models in the past couple of years... in which case I'm guessing it should be a case of £500 + whatever your dealer charges on top to get the navigation function unlocked (£500 was the difference between just 'Sensus Connect' and 'Sensus Connect + Nav' in the price list)
Old May 16th, 2016, 20:55   #3
PaulRS

It's a 2014. £500 wouldn't be worth it to be honest. I was just a bit confused that I had the 7" screen without having nav! I'll probly just stick with my iPhone and Google Maps.
I didnt have much of a play with the whole system at test drive so I'll have a proper play on Thursday......
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:59   #4
techwatcher
Master Member

It is only the specific NAV models which come equipped with satnav as standard.

However, Sensus Navigation can be retrofitted provided your car has the GPS receiver in the 'shark fin' on the roof and a specific audio module fitted. Your dealer would be able to advise but if you have the prerequisites it is just a rather expensive software download at £640.

Sensus Navigation isn't great; it works but is a bit dumbed down - it doesn't support 3rd party Points Of Interest, for example. You do get bi-annual map updates for life included. It is more convenient than using a phone and satnav app though.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:29   #5
PaulRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
It is only the specific NAV models which come equipped with satnav as standard.

However, Sensus Navigation can be retrofitted provided your car has the GPS receiver in the 'shark fin' on the roof and a specific audio module fitted. Your dealer would be able to advise but if you have the prerequisites it is just a rather expensive software download at £640.

Sensus Navigation isn't great; it works but is a bit dumbed down - it doesn't support 3rd party Points Of Interest, for example. You do get bi-annual map updates for life included. It is more convenient than using a phone and satnav app though.
Quite an expensive convenience really. Think I'd rather use my Google Maps. I actually find that easier anyway when navigating to place names/POI's. You can just type the place, Google recognizes it and off you go.
It's finding a decent enough mount that's the issue. I have come across some CD slot mounts that looks pretty good though.
I still sort of feel that the Nav function 'completes' the system but for the price can definitely live without.....

As I haven't got Nav built in, anyone know what system I do have? I did see another thread with Levels 1,2 and 3 on it. Putting mine at 3. Is this right?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:45   #6
PaulRS

Used the iGo app on my SCT yesterday! Have to say it's dead easy to use and really like the graphics. Only thing I did find, with using Spotify also, was how much it drained my phones battery using the wifi hotspot option!!!!!