Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bristol 'going green'

Views : 3827

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 18:32   #21
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I wonder if you will get a situation where hauliers and carriers will deliver to a warehouse location outside the zone and then a third party company with an electric fleet will manage the final aspect of the delivery? This could become a model for other city centres?

Any hauliers on here? I'd be interested to hear how they plan to deal with this, assuming they don't just add an additional fee on for city centre deliveries.
Make sense, we used to do it with trains and ye olden days, freight trains combined with electric trucks sounds like win win to me
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 18:37   #22
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
I wonder if you will get a situation where hauliers and carriers will deliver to a warehouse location outside the zone and then a third party company with an electric fleet will manage the final aspect of the delivery? This could become a model for other city centres?

Any hauliers on here? I'd be interested to hear how they plan to deal with this, assuming they don't just add an additional fee on for city centre deliveries.
Of course it will be more expencive. Either the extra polution charge or the additional handling charge will be passed on to the customer. But you will be "GREEN" and save the world while India and China rub their hands with glee.

To deny developing countries cheap power is immortal, however are India and china developing countries when they have a space program and own half the western world? If China called in its debts america would be stuffed.

Just saying.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 20:48   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

There is nothing set in stone yet , just the general principle is agreed . I guess these kind of things will come out in future meetings ..
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:29   #24
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Does a an engine which complies with the EU6 exhaust standard actually produce an exhaust gas that is cleaner than the polluted air being taken into the car's engine?

If so modern vehicles should be given a welcome into the cities.
YES . I am an MOT tester & the latest versions of diesel engine regularly fail to record any smoke output on analysers , but I would also point out we try to record smoke opacity levels NOT the actual gases emitted .

Maybe it's time to burn these free trade eco-mentalist , yoghurt quaffing , fair trade dew fresh pedal cyclists in power stations where their hot air can do some useful work .

It was proven years ago when petrol engines equipped with Cats were used in polluted environments the resultant exhaust fumes contained less pollutant after being burnt due to the action of the catalytic converter . So lets race Porsche 911 with cats around Bristol to clean their air up , Any takers ?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 00:14   #25
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Maybe it's time to burn these free trade eco-mentalist , yoghurt quaffing , fair trade dew fresh pedal cyclists in power stations where their hot air can do some useful work .
Next time you get one of these eco weenies in your face I recommend a full on bitchslap and tell them to grow a pair.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 06:00   #26
dingov70
Master Member

Actually Whippy , I have ground a keen edge to my spade ready for future events involving whiney sappy people with no backbone & tender feelings .

Truth be told , when people refer to " you should be more PC " I tell them I know plenty but it does not me a computer and walk away , leaving them . Confusion reigns in their world when they get too close to me
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 16:52   #27
PRainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
YES . I am an MOT tester & the latest versions of diesel engine regularly fail to record any smoke output on analysers , but I would also point out we try to record smoke opacity levels NOT the actual gases emitted .

It was proven years ago when petrol engines equipped with Cats were used in polluted environments the resultant exhaust fumes contained less pollutant after being burnt due to the action of the catalytic converter . So lets race Porsche 911 with cats around Bristol to clean their air up , Any takers ?
Give me a Porsche and i’m In!
PRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PRainbow For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:09   #28
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
I don't think it is, I think the Portway etc are included in both zones but going over the bridge looks to be OK

I live in Bristol, and have not especially noticed an air quality problem. But the traffic here can be a nightmare... and partly due to daft road redesigns to reduce traffic flows, especially at junctions.

Several places I could name used to have left turn filters and now don't. Meaning longer queues for everyone, and more pollution...

Muller road is a great example of how not to do things... I think there are 12 sets of independently controlled traffic lights in 1.5 miles. Meaning at busy times it barely moves - it now backs up around the roundabout and onto the M32...
I’ve never been to Bristol but agree with your comments about daft traffic management. I live in south east Northumberland, near Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle City Council are about to impose a congestion zone. They have spent millions over the last few years on so called traffic management works on many roads, and it is continuing as they have mismanaged the entire process in a few cases which has meant that works which were posted as taking a few months have in fact taken a few years and are still not completed. Each one seems to have increased the congestion by reducing the traffic flow. Even the completed schemes simply don’t work.

Agreed re rail distribution then local deliveries by electric. They weren’t electric but the three wheeled Scammels did that in the past, but the large rail freight yards appear to have disappeared. Yes it may be more expensive in itself but probably cheaper overall in the scheme of things.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Nov 11th, 2019 at 10:16. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:11   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Of course it will be more expencive. Either the extra polution charge or the additional handling charge will be passed on to the customer. But you will be "GREEN" and save the world while India and China rub their hands with glee.

To deny developing countries cheap power is immortal, however are India and china developing countries when they have a space program and own half the western world? If China called in its debts america would be stuffed.

Just saying.

Paul.
It is nothing to do with china , it is the exhaust gasses collecting in the streets of the city and being breathed in ..
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 13:47   #30
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Oh, of course it is all about clean air and not pockets of companies making let's say batteries. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't most of batteries produced in Kenya?
Or control electronics, dashboards, ECUs.. these, I'll risk saying, are made in Monaco, right?

Not mentioning the fact that the very Volvo corp is owned by no-one else but small brick manufacturer in Poland.

Erm... Right?

Nothing to do with selling more new cars, at all?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post: