Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my volvo 850se journal

Views : 12376

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2022, 21:04   #41
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
I don't think there is a seal, it fits tightly round a shaped flange and holds it tight. If it was me I would remove the old clamp and refit new one without disturbing any of the pipework
thanks for reply,i shall try just swap it out one half at a time and pray my precious fuel stays put!its been raining non stop since the part arrived and ive had to use the car and after seeing how horrid and rusty the old one is i shall be a lot less worried and am sure it would have failed mot if they had there eyes open at all.
happy motoring.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 23:19   #42
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well the above post re the fuel filler to tank clamp it fell off with a tiny of metal left,no leakage even though tank was full!new clamp fitted after throwing away the crappy mild steel bolts volvo supply and replacing with marine grade stainless steel bolts and giving a thick coat of hammerite.
then yesterday i took the car and had the ac serviced and filled and it all works great now,just as the heatwave ends! but im sure it will be used much and was the last big cost job i hope!
has anyone got a spare bonnet/hood lying around they want to part with?its so buggered jesus couldnt save it!!!!!!!!peace all
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 19:41   #43
duke1
mad mechanic

the old girl flew through another mot test today and has emissions lower than some new cars,amazing at 157000 miles so happy,a few small notes a cv boot and balljoint boot which i did 3 mots ago and has started rotting already def hard to find good replacement boots here in the uk all are chineseum rubbish.
other note was the chassis on the rear where the rear tailpipe and box mount to is rusty so i got a nice big pot of curust and some new brush on underseal and is this weekends project if weather permits,still love this old car. peace all and happy motoring
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 18:47   #44
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well after a couple of no start incidents today i removed the fuel pump relay and popped the cover off rather easily and sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner also all around the connector noted the part number and have had to go to caffyns volvo for oe one as it seems other than meyle a make ive never used or buying a used oe for £30,for £22 more i decided the caffyns is best idea,of course it may not be that but it is the original going by the code date so passed its prime i think,nice and easy to fit i do like the layout of the na 850 best,cheers all
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 21:00   #45
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all long time since my last post and in this time the car has been great reliable and i still love to drive it!
but the time has come at some 160000 miles on clock that the clutch is in need of replacement and as the main dealers no longer have the clutch available i have bought an luk clutch kit from arnold clarks for £160 and very quick delivery it came today and is the correct part number and all present and correct.
this will as normal be done out on the drive outside my house and weather permitting to this end i have bought an engine support bar with 2 hook points and a nice new set of axle stands as i seem to have lost the top bit off one of mine,no idea how or where having searched high and low,sure it will turn up 5 minutes after the new ones come!
i did look on youtube for a vid on doing the clutch on the 855 but robert only has one from after removing the gearbox not from the start and only other i can find is in german,hopefully i shall work it out as i go as per normal.
also ordered a new crankshaft rear oil seal just to be on the safe side as its bound to go pop a few miles down the road.
i shall update as i go for anyone interested,peace
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 17:31   #46
Derek UK
VOC Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSMM8pXId5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1q_pDsAtI

Last edited by Derek UK; Jul 18th, 2023 at 17:51.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 19:33   #47
duke1
mad mechanic

cheers derek i shall watch both tonight,but i already have a good start i have the majority of bits undone and have ordered new reluctor rings as both are very rusty and also a cv boot needs doing its rotten but joints are good still.
i did break the plastic that one of the vaccum pipes go onto and have to work out what the part is called first,on old cars i think it was called a flametrap it has a vac pipe and a pipe going to the idle valve,any idea what its called i should have took a pic but forgot
i did find that the electric nut gun is awful and even me with one working hand and a breaker bar did better,eventually! 8 stone dont shift much bouncing on breaker bar!
also found the radiator mount broken and all hanging down and was brand new less than a year ago and rubber has split to the stage it fell out of the mounting hole,valeo supplied with the new rad.
was cross to find the so called cv boot kit has no hub nut though it is listed in the advert but cant reuse them again there worn out so another delay and excuse for a rest day! cheers.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 17:24   #48
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well new clutch fitted also had to replace the big lower rear engine mounting as it was very broken also found the abs fault using the obd1 system and have ordered a new wheel speed sensor,fitted 2 new front reluctor rings but one of the old ones was so broke it was sticking out far enough to proper clobber the sensor and has taken a chunk out of it which stopped it working properly,should be here monday with any luck and then wednesday ive a nice 300 mile round trip for road test,i must say even though its cost rather a lot to get this far doing it myself even as i am on my own and one working hand is slow but pleasingly still possible and not having to give the garage £700+ vat is very good meaning i can fix the nasty dusty hanging down torn and baggy headliner,not looking forward to that job in the slightest though!
the horrid orange dust from it screws with my breathing (copd) but noone else is going to fix it!peace
Old Aug 4th, 2023, 15:18   #49
duke1
mad mechanic

Default help me slay the evil thing!

hi all well today i removed the evil thing and gently and with near zero damage removed the cover,pictured is my abd module but having done a search here and elsewhere for images of where i need to solder and none look even similar maybe its because its an old evil thing i even did a google search for images theres plenty of the sealed box but none of any relevants for the inside bits.
i can say ive used a magnifying glass and put me specs on but see no obvious cracks or brown bits i see folk mention the main terminals where plug connects and have been along the row and remelted the existing solder after scraping the covering matter from relevant sections i still see nothing and plugged it back in and its just the same evil thing still cruelly abusing and taunting me! any guidance much welcomed,also i read during search someone mention the early 94 855 having a particular fault re the abs but not saying in the post what said fault might be? i am so shaky today and single handed shaky soldering could well make things worse :!: :mrgreen: meds time i think,wheres me pipe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abs 002.jpg (170.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg abs 005.JPG (255.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg abs 006.JPG (289.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg abs 007.jpg (162.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by duke1; Aug 4th, 2023 at 15:22.
duke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 14:49   #50
volvo2
Master Member

I have pretty much the same car, which I have owned for for almost 30 years. Mine is now on 220k miles. I am still on the original heater matrix and PVC system. Thought there were quite a few more than nine of these left on UK roads though - more like 150 maybe.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
850, 855, journal, restore