Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 run on

Views : 886

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:28   #1
vman99
Estateman

Default V60 run on

I have a new V60 D4, and when I lift off the throttle, the car seems to keep on going.

For example in 4th gear in traffic, if the car in front brakes and I lift off, the revs seem to stay at 1000, rather than reducing to idle, which is about 850 revs when stationary. This makes me have to brake, when in other cars easying off would have been enough.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just my car.

Pete.
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 20:32   #2
vman99
Estateman

Default V60 D4 Manual run on

Hi,
no replies suggests that nobody else has had this happen to them.

In all the other diesel cars I have owned, when you lift off the throttle the injectors are cut off by the engine management unit, which only resumes injecting, to stop the engine stalling as it approaches idle speed.

Does anybody know if this is the case with the engine in my car?

Pete.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 21:39   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman99 View Post
I have a new V60 D4, and when I lift off the throttle, the car seems to keep on going.

For example in 4th gear in traffic, if the car in front brakes and I lift off, the revs seem to stay at 1000, rather than reducing to idle, which is about 850 revs when stationary. This makes me have to brake, when in other cars easying off would have been enough.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just my car.

Pete.
have you got the car in ECO mode ? The transmission free wheels if so, this may be the effect you have ...
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 22:33   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Dynamic mode increases the idle speed as described
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 22:43   #5
Boatie
Master Member

Don't think it's a matter of having it in Eco. Is it your firzt diesel with an auto box?.My first diesel , a manual Nissan X Trail gave engine braking. My last car, a V70 auto gave little. My present V90 offers very little engine braking. Even going into manual and rapidly dropping down 2 or 3 or even 4 'cogs' seems to have little significant retardation effect. Consider it a ploy by Volvo to get you to replace brake pads more frequently
Boatie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 22:56   #6
vman99
Estateman

Hi,thanks for the replies.

Clan: I have the driving mode set to comfort.

Quacker: As above

Boatie: My car has manual transmission (see the title of my second post)

Pete.

P.S. thats 16 posts, only 14 to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to vman99 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:09   #7
roundyuk

I wouldn't expect any manual transmission car to reduce the revs down to idle speed just letting off the throttle - the engine is engaged through the clutch to the gearbox so your motion will transmit into revolutions of the engine....?

Or are we not understanding you? Do you mean you are clutching-in at the same time to disengage the drive?
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:32   #8
vman99
Estateman

Hi roundyuk,

For example if approaching traffic lights which are at stop, first I would lift off the throttle and the engine should act as brake, as I got nearer I would brake, may change down and finally press the clutch pedal and come to a halt.

Al my previous diesel cars would do the following:-

First the injectors would be shut off as I lifted off the throttle and the engine would act as a brake. This would continue if I changed down and finally as I pressed the clutch and came to rest the EMU would start the injectors again to keep the engine at idle speed.

The above does not seem to happen with my car and very little engine braking appears to happen.

I just wondered if this was the same for everbody with a manual transmission or my car is behaving differently to everone else with a similar car.

Cheers Pete.

Last edited by vman99; Apr 23rd, 2019 at 17:36. Reason: typo
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 20:16   #9
roundyuk

Ahhh, so this might be Volvo's anti-stall - it was very prevalent on my old V40, but normally only apparent when the clutch wasn't 100% all the way down. If you lifted the clutch even slightly the revs would pick up.

Unfortunately my D4 V60 is an auto, so I can't compare. The auto box has it's own niggles though too! :-D