Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

prins on a t5

Views : 827

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:46   #1
alz4321

Default prins on a t5

I've just bought a used prins system from a volvo s80 t6. It came with 2 tanks, a 4hole wheel well tank (nearly full) and a cylinder tank, filler and filler pipework. It also came with keihin injectors. I've read that these are good anybody have any experiences they can put forward ? I removed the kit myself after hearing it running so I'm hoping at the £160 I paid I've not gone too far wrong. I have the prins installation manual on pdf so I'm hoping apart from the software and cable to tune it I shouldn't need much more. I left all the copper pipework on the s80 so I'm intending to use the faro pipe. I'm pretty sure it had an 8mm supply pipe from front to back. I'm guessing there can be no harm in doing the same with my t5 weather it needs it or not....

Sorry classicswede, I have been trying to put some money away to buy a kit from you but it's been an expensive couple of months. Can you tune up these prins systems ? If so I might take a run up and get it all checked over.
alz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 20:39   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I spotted the sale on ebay. The prins injectors are good and I do now offer that type of injector. The only down side is you must match the flow rate of teh injector correctly or you will need to change the injectors unlike most others that can be adjusted by nozzle size. As it was a T6 you should be ok.

As to the pipe use copper and yes it should be 8mm feed to the front. You need to cross over the exhaust and that is no no with plastic even when sheilded.

Give me a shout when you are ready and I'll have a look at setting it up for you.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 08:40   #3
alz4321

Brilliant, thank you. There was something I didn't get when I removed the system, the vapouriser wasn't installed in parallel to the heater hoses. It was connected inline of the (flow) heater hose. would this not mean that when the heater is set to cold that would then stop the water circulating the vapouriser ? Or does the volvo heater not work with a basic on/off switch in the heater pipework/matrix.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 20:37   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Looks like there must be a number of thick Prins installers as a V40 I have with prins on has been done the same. the vapouriser should be T'ed in.

That was not the only thing I found, the vacuum pipe was connected to 1 branch of the manifold giving pulsed vacuum, the injector pipes were not clipped and tank was very poorly fitted.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 21:14   #5
alz4321

Best get myself some tee's then ! To be fair the rest of the install looked tidy. Had a bit of spare time today so I've mounted the filler on a bracket on the towbar. Hopefully get the tank fitted this week. Do you have any info on how the mot changes in January will affect lpg ? I keep meaning to ask the lads at work that do the class 4's. I do class 1 and 2 and don't see any lpg bikes. mind you there were some came in from china with lpg kits....
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 06:12   #6
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default heatshield

just asking=?????

Is it good enough to guide the flexible polypipe over the exhaust

providing you put a heat -shield in place ????

As far as I know a heatshield should also be installed when a copperpipe is used.

( dai- where can I find the full specifications/ rules to which a LPGsystem
has to comply towards a certificate????)
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 23:13   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post
just asking=?????

Is it good enough to guide the flexible polypipe over the exhaust

providing you put a heat -shield in place ????

As far as I know a heatshield should also be installed when a copperpipe is used.

( dai- where can I find the full specifications/ rules to which a LPGsystem
has to comply towards a certificate????)
Yes a sheild should be used with copper however you can normaly manage to send it over a crossmember and use that as a sheild. With plastic you would need to use a foil wrap and a sheild IMO.

If you search for COP11 (lpga or uklpg) you should find most of the information. You can buy the guidline but they are £35 to installers and probably more for end users
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 23:17   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz4321 View Post
Best get myself some tee's then ! To be fair the rest of the install looked tidy. Had a bit of spare time today so I've mounted the filler on a bracket on the towbar. Hopefully get the tank fitted this week. Do you have any info on how the mot changes in January will affect lpg ? I keep meaning to ask the lads at work that do the class 4's. I do class 1 and 2 and don't see any lpg bikes. mind you there were some came in from china with lpg kits....
My brother has just been on the MOT update. All that will be covered is checking for leaks with spray on the pipe connections. I'm not sure if that will be just the liquid lines or also the pressure pipes on injection system. A move in the right direction at last. There is no reason why a tester can not fail a car for insecure lpg lines or tank etc within reason but an MOT pass by no means suggest the system is correctly installed or even safe.

IMO LPG installations should all be subjected to a SVA type test but I can not see that ever happening.