Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine off fan running’?

Views : 611

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 18:16   #1
frankrizla

Default Engine off fan running’?

I noticed today that when I turned off the engine the fan continued to run for about 3 minutes and then stopped. Is this normal? Never did before but It was a hot day
2003 s40 1.9d
frankrizla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frankrizla For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 18:45   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Quite normal just the systems cooling the engine down. Should only happen on very hot days or after a fast run and a quick stop.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:58   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

frankrizla, is your check engine light (RHS of dashboard lights) staying on?

I ask because one of the effects of a problem with a couple of the fuel components can be that the engine's management system thinks it needs to run the fan when the car is switched off.

A way to check is to restart the car, run it for say 15-20 seconds and then switch it off.

If that clears it then it's possibly/probably the issue I've mentioned.

If so, if you get an OBDII code reader you'll be able to find out what's causing the problem.

... of course it could simply be that your car's got hot underbonnet over the recent hot spell (the basic answer is often the right one!)
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:00   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

frankrizla, I see you're a new member here; have you had the Volvo long?

There's a lot of useful info on here about all Volvos and the diesel in particular so ask away if you've got any questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 17:52   #5
phil_r

Mine did this a few times last week, i suspect the radiator has some limescale type deposits reducing cooling efficiency, won't be helped by the hot weather and narrow steep lanes just before my house not giving it chance to cool down.

On the plus side air con got regassed and is blowing nice and cool again
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 07:46   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Cars have had this feature since at least the '80s,while 3mins sounds a bit long to me I'd say it's normal,the fan runs after switch off to cool the under bonnet temperature in part at least to stop fuel vapourisation for an easier start next time the car is used.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 15:08   #7
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I've never had the fan run on my V40 (although I suspect my thermostat may be open at lower temps than it should be).

I don't think the diesel S40/V40s should need the fan to run on so I would expect that potentially a sensor issue or a coolant/pump issue.

I would check the temp using an OBDII scanner if possible to see if it is realistic and also check the hoses to the radiator to see if they are getting really hot.
My radiator fan only seems to kick in when the aircon is on and the car is stationary.

There is apparently some issue with the MAF sensor that can cause the fan to run at full tilt.

First off I would check the radiator is actually hot and also the temperature read out by OBDII if possible.

I would think it would be very unusual for the cooling fan to run for 3 minutes if every thing is working as it should.