Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Old XC90 - reliable ?

Views : 334

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 10:36   #1
smallzoo2

Default Old XC90 - reliable ?

Looking for a used SUV for under £3k. its a 2nd car, need a big , spacious boot for my 2 alsations

We had an old discovery which was ok but engine died. As per a couple of other posts on this forum we too looked at estates but they are surprisingly low in terms of boot height.

I was looking at Ford S-Max, Galaxy,Mazda5, VW Sharan etc

I was told to look at a pre-2008 XC90 as it has no DPF and that they are reliable , cheap motors to run

Is that true.. If I could find one for £2500 and it lasted me 2 years without too much money spent on it I'd be happy..and of course as long as when the kids get in it to go to their festivals it will be reliable

Peter ( Cheshire )

Last edited by smallzoo2; Apr 8th, 2024 at 10:42. Reason: dont need a 7 seater necessarily
smallzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 11:37   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallzoo2 View Post
Looking for a used SUV for under £3k. its a 2nd car, need a big , spacious boot for my 2 alsations

We had an old discovery which was ok but engine died. As per a couple of other posts on this forum we too looked at estates but they are surprisingly low in terms of boot height.

I was looking at Ford S-Max, Galaxy,Mazda5, VW Sharan etc

I was told to look at a pre-2008 XC90 as it has no DPF and that they are reliable , cheap motors to run

Is that true.. If I could find one for £2500 and it lasted me 2 years without too much money spent on it I'd be happy..and of course as long as when the kids get in it to go to their festivals it will be reliable

Peter ( Cheshire )
Pre 2006 didn't have a DPF. 2006 onwards were euro 4 engines, which had a DPF. If you don't want a car with a DPF, you need to be looking at ones that are 2005 or older.

I wouldn't say an XC90 is "cheap to run". A car of that age will have problems of its own simply due to age. Fuel economy won't be great either, but that's to be expected in something so big and heavy. They can be hard on suspension parts and tyres. There's also fluids that need to be changed being a 4x4 (which an ordinary front wheel drive car wouldn't have).

In saying that, they have literally acres of space, are practical and are a very safe vehicle. Buy one with good service records and just keep in mind that it may need suspension work down the line or even when you buy one. Check the MOT history too... you don't want to buy a complete lemon.

You can't run these cars on a shoe string like people may think. Its a prestige car... Even if its old, its still got the Volvo badge. Parts may be more expensive compared to something like a Galaxy for example.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 8th, 2024 at 11:42.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 11:49   #3
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallzoo2 View Post
If you found one with a good history I wouldn't be too worried if it's not a long term keeper.

But, how old are your dogs? The tailgate on these things is pretty high and our old boy hasn't been able to make it into the boot for a few years, even the ramp is too steep for him now.

Our xc70 is much lower, he can make it up the ramp and the boot is plenty big enough.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 17:56   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Mine is almost as old as you can get (03) and at 191k miles, has seen a lot of wear and tear.

I have had her for five years from 130k and fixed all the usual problems with such an old and early car.

Try to get as low mileage as you can and look at mot history to check that all observations are regularly addressed after mot.

Make sure no fluid leaks, oil transmission oil, coolant, steering fluid, break fluid etc.

Try spinning the prop shaft by laying on your back and feeling up at the point just in front of the rear tires. Wear a rubber glove. You should not be able to turn the prop shaft. If it turns the awd needs attention.

Make sure cam belt has been changed at about 80-90k mile intervals. There should be a sticker under the bonnet somewhere giving the latest change mileage..

Take the car for a run over a bumpy road and make sure no knocks from anywhere.

The headlights may be cloudy which can be buffed out but I chose to change mine.

As a guide, I plan to change my old xc90 but really only hope for 1k max and with the following parts changed in my 5 years of ownership. The list is not fully complete but as a guide.

Engine (recon)
New turbo
New engine mounts.
Cambelt replaced
Steering angle sensor
Transfer box and spline gear
Air con compressor
Radiator
Air con condenser
Alternator
Power steering pump
New serpentine belt.
New anti roll bar.
Both front wishbones
Both front discs and pads.
Both rear wheel bearings
Both track rod ends
Rear suspension arm bushes
All four wheels refurbished plus on unused spare with no tyre.
Updated rear light clusters. Old ones included in the sale.
New front light clusters
New alarm module
Working hand break!
New bonnet struts
Rear exhaust

Tyres.. often.

So you see not a cheap car to run!

But I plan to stay in the 'family' and currently saving for at a t8 twin engine. Almost there!!

Hope this helps,
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post: