Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing steering wheel

Views : 557

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2023, 04:43   #1
mdon
VOC Member

Default Changing steering wheel

Hi, the steering wheel in my 2014 D5 business edition is looking rather worse for wear. It only has 57k on the clock however the black paint on the wheel is peeling off. I’ve tried to scrape it all off to improve the looks slightly however it’s not all coming off.

I’ve found several replacement wheels on eBay that are chrome and leather rather than the all black and leather wheel I have. The question I have is, has anyone replaced their steering wheel before? How difficult is it? And if I get one with an intact airbag, will that have any silly issues like coding it to the car?

Cheers.
mdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 11:04   #2
YorkR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdon View Post
Hi, the steering wheel in my 2014 D5 business edition is looking rather worse for wear. It only has 57k on the clock however the black paint on the wheel is peeling off. I’ve tried to scrape it all off to improve the looks slightly however it’s not all coming off.

I’ve found several replacement wheels on eBay that are chrome and leather rather than the all black and leather wheel I have. The question I have is, has anyone replaced their steering wheel before? How difficult is it? And if I get one with an intact airbag, will that have any silly issues like coding it to the car?

Cheers.
Hi,

Changing the steering wheel is fairly straight forward, I did it myself a few weeks ago when I swapped from a 4 spoke wheel to a 3 spoke version (also from beige to black). There are guides on YouTube that are easy to follow and once you have released the airbag clips, there is just a single bolt that holds the wheel onto the column. There will be no coding, so long as you don't turn the ignition on with the airbag removed etc.

I changed a damaged chrome trim on my Dad's 2010 XC70 in about 5 minutes last weekend too.

The airbag will be a straight swap, so long as it is the same shape i.e. 2010 MY onwards or there about's.

P.S. I've found that steering wheels from all P3 cars are interchangeable, so you can widen your search to include XC70, V70, V60, S60, S80 and even V40's. Plenty of choice out there!
YorkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 22:48   #3
mdon
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkR View Post
Hi,

Changing the steering wheel is fairly straight forward, I did it myself a few weeks ago when I swapped from a 4 spoke wheel to a 3 spoke version (also from beige to black). There are guides on YouTube that are easy to follow and once you have released the airbag clips, there is just a single bolt that holds the wheel onto the column. There will be no coding, so long as you don't turn the ignition on with the airbag removed etc.

I changed a damaged chrome trim on my Dad's 2010 XC70 in about 5 minutes last weekend too.

The airbag will be a straight swap, so long as it is the same shape i.e. 2010 MY onwards or there about's.

P.S. I've found that steering wheels from all P3 cars are interchangeable, so you can widen your search to include XC70, V70, V60, S60, S80 and even V40's. Plenty of choice out there!

Cheers, I’ll give it a go.

With the damaged chrome trim in your dads car, where was that? My centre console has a few scratched and I’ve thought about changing that.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 22:56   #4
YorkR

Quote:
Cheers, I’ll give it a go.

With the damaged chrome trim in your dads car, where was that? My centre console has a few scratched and I’ve thought about changing that.
It was the trim around the airbag on the steering wheel.

There are vids on swapping the other dash trims online too.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 21:31   #5
mdon
VOC Member

Quote:
It was the trim around the airbag on the steering wheel.

There are vids on swapping the other dash trims online too.
Thanks for the help, the wheel was easy to remove, only issue I had was the wheel I bought was from a 2012, mine is the facelift 2014 model, turns out they’ve changed the wiring between facelifts so the horn wouldn’t work, however I managed to remove the silver trim from the replacement wheel and fit it to mine.

I’m going to change the volume and Chris buttons at a later date as mine are a bit shiny.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 09:24   #6
YorkR

Quote:
Thanks for the help, the wheel was easy to remove, only issue I had was the wheel I bought was from a 2012, mine is the facelift 2014 model, turns out they’ve changed the wiring between facelifts so the horn wouldn’t work, however I managed to remove the silver trim from the replacement wheel and fit it to mine.

I’m going to change the volume and Chris buttons at a later date as mine are a bit shiny.

Cheers.
Ah that's a pain in regards to the horn!

Glad you managed to get the trim swapped over though.

I do have a spare 2014 onwards black 3-spoke wheel in my garage, which you can have depending on where you are. Might help with the buttons / wiring etc
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 09:57   #7
mdon
VOC Member

Quote:
Ah that's a pain in regards to the horn!

Glad you managed to get the trim swapped over though.

I do have a spare 2014 onwards black 3-spoke wheel in my garage, which you can have depending on where you are. Might help with the buttons / wiring etc
Cheers pal, I’m ok thanks, the new wheel looks good. In hindsight if the airbag would fit (it looks like it’s the same bag) and a three spoke I probably would have got for it.

Next I need a B pillar drivers side cover as the last owners dog and scratched a few holes in it and the centre console.