Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights & bumper for rear, driver-side repair

Views : 761

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2016, 19:55   #1
iamchris

Default Lights & bumper for rear, driver-side repair

I managed to reverse into a post at low speed last week and damaged the following, surprisingly expensive bits of my car:

1. Driver side rear light cluster (lower half)
2. Driver side rear fog light/reflector (the one recessed into the corner of the bumper)
3. Driver side rear light chrome trim strip (the stick-on bit running along the bottom of the main light cluster)
4. Rear bumper upper section (the bit immediately below the tailgate)
5. Rear bumper middle section (the bit with the parking sensors in it)

I'm looking for any/all of these for a 2014 "Caspian Blue Metallic" XC90.

Kind regards,
Chris

PS. Photo attached showing damage and shonky gaffer tape repair effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14963520_10154069231844067_1984119436_o.jpg (113.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by iamchris; Nov 9th, 2016 at 19:58.
iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 19:56   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your mishap, easily done, I know because I've done it!

To be honest I can't see you getting anything second hand easily or cheaply mainly because your XC90 is quite a recent '14 model and also your colour isn't too popular. A breaker yard may be the best option but still unlikely unless you can find a front-end damaged car of the same colour!

It could be worth investigating the 'insurance' route, yes, it will affect your no claims discount and future premium, but to be honest I can't imagine your financial loss being anywhere near the cost of having your repair done properly by a reputable body shop.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 20:13   #3
iamchris

Thanks for the reply Paul. I'm normally very careful, but I was in a rush to meet my wife and 2yo daughter after an emergency hospital visit, and parking in one of those pokey temporary/flat-pack multi-story car parks which a car like the XC90 doesn't really fit in!

I've had a couple of quotes already but those are based on me sourcing a replacement bumper. The car is in at Volvo on Weds to address a warranty issue so I'm going to get one from them for good measure.

All the late XC90s I've seen being broken so far appear to have been rear-ended by a truck, so no chance of donor parts from them! And as you say, none in my colour...

Regarding insurance, the thought of claiming from them had crossed my mind... but once I've paid excess and the inevitable loss of full no claims bonus I still think I'd be better of sorting it out of my own pocket in the long run.
iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote