Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

driveable with new before programming?

Views : 1892

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 14:31   #1
timh30

Default driveable with new before programming?

Hi Guys,

If I fit a new ETM myself, is the car still drivable (even in limp mode)?

Since my V70 is non-turbo, its very easy to change the ETM, so my plan was to buy the ETM, fit myself at Volvo dealer and then they can drive it into the workshop to apply the software update. They tell me though the car will be completely undriveable - which I didn't think was the case?

Thanks,
Tim.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 22:06   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

No it won't be drivable.

If you can drive it there with the old one and change it in their car park.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:56   #3
timh30

Just an update as I had my new ETM programmed at Volvo yesterday. I did as per my original post and fitted the new ETM in the dealer car park and then had them programme it - and seems to be driving ok at the moment.

A few points to note though:

1. The original ETM lead is run behind the starter motor which needs the starter motor removing to get the cable pulled through. You can therefore either do this in advance (as I did) or you could just cut the old lead to make removal easy - but this obviously screws up the old ETM. When replacing, obviously dont run the wire back behind the starter motor, just tie wrap it safely out of the way of the cooling fan.

2. The engine does run after installing the new ETM (and before programming). It idles at a fixed throttle position (about 3k rpm) so is driveable to some extent, and the volvo technician drove mine like that into the workshop.

Finally for pricing, this is what I paid:

ETM - £159.80
Gasket - £0.29
Programming Labour - £34.72
Programming sofware - £0.58

Grand Total - £195.39

Hope this info may help others.

Best Regards,
Tim.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:03   #4
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

don't need to remove the starter motor just the 2 nuts for the support bracket and loosen the bolt in the block then it will swing away.

used to cut the wiring all the time myself though if the ETM was being replaced.
Old May 12th, 2010, 13:49   #5
timh30

Yes thats what i did, but you need to remove the bolt in the block also, as the starter motor will not slide back which is needed to swing it out enough to get the cable/connector past. Hence at that point you've pretty much removed the starter motor.

Last edited by timh30; May 12th, 2010 at 13:51.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote