Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remove rear head rest from XC90 (2012)

Views : 1315

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:55   #1
luckyjix

Default Remove rear head rest from XC90 (2012)

I just bought a new car seat for my daughter. Upon installing there was a large void between it and the cars own seat when the headrest was moved up, caused by the headrest in the car jutting out and not being movable. A couple of issues:

1. Volvo service dealership informed me today that since the rear car seats are a safety mesure to prevent whiplash they are therefore designed NOT to be removed.
2. Maxi Cosi informs me that >70% of the childs seat should be in contact with the car seat and per instructions the cars own headrest should be removed where that causes an issue.

Issue 2 is even more problematic when, upon speaking to the retailer that sold me this childs car seat (and deals with most other brands), all other brands for this group of car seat will present the same issue.

Bit of a dilemma, but clearly childs safety is paramount, hence trawling thorugh the internet I came across some decent instructions which I include below for anyone that experiences similar issues:

1) You've got to remove the plastic trim piece with the split tabs that go around the metal posts of the rear seat's folding headrest. Go slow, don't use a ton of pressure. You should be able to loosen the long front and back edges of the plastic with your fingers. Try the headrest in both the up and down positions to help you. The trim is held in 6 places: two along the long back edge, two inside of the headrest's metal posts and two outside of the headrest's metal posts. you may find using the shaft of a screwdriver to gently pry the front outside two clips up. The other four I could do by hand. Started with the front and back ones first. Unfortunately the plastic post of one of the outer ones snapped off but don't see that as a major issue given it is cosmetic and there are plenty of other securing posts.

2) Now you have the poastic trim off. Lower the headrest and you'll see two deeply recessed nuts within a plastic housing. On my 2012 XC90, they were 10mm nuts I used an extension to fit into the hole and the nuts came off very easily. Once unscrewed, I removed the bolts using a pair of small plyers to grip and pull them out - place to the side.

3) Next, gently work the entire plastic assembly to which the headrest is attached back and forth and you'll get one end free of its stud. Gently work the other and lift the entire plastic housing with the hinged headrest attached to it out of the seat. This should come out fairly easily. The leather trim is secrured into the plastic housing with a rubber edge and easily came off with a little teasing. Once that's off the headrest is set free.

4) Replace the nuts on the studs in the seat and screw them all the way down. They'll rattle loose as you drive if you don't. Replace the plastic trim to make it look tidy.

5) Install your car seat - will now sit flush whatever the position of the childs car seat headrest.

Hope others find this useful.
luckyjix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyjix For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 13:42   #2
Friendly

I have a 2013 XC90 and have not had any issues fitting car seats.

We currently have a maxi cosi pearl (on a base) and a maxi cosi titan pro. I make sure that they are fitted as per the instructions and the headrest does not interfere with fitting.

What stage car seat are you having problems with?
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 14:21   #3
trumpetdropper

I have a 2005 XC90 and the headrests in the rear affect the britax romer and halfords child seats we have, and it has begun to get more noticeable as my granddaughter grows and the child seat head restraint goes has to extend.
I have been trying to use it in the middle seat but the belt ratchet system is temperamental also the seats are quite wide so they affect access to the passenger belt sockets!
It hasn't been a problem in any other of the family cars, as the headrests can all be removed with a simple press of a button!
Hopefully in the not too distant future (she's a tall 4 year old - looks like 6 - but is already beginning to have a teenager's attitude!!) she'll be able to use the centre seat properly with the built in booster - but I really don't know how this sits with the Child seat regulations?