Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noob:Differences between 2004 XC90 D and D5

Views : 1409

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 20:40   #1
Dexter22

Default Noob:Differences between 2004 XC90 D and D5

Hi all

I am a noob, I am looking to buy an XC90.

What are the differences between a D and a D5. Also are there some that are semi-auto like a smart? Surely they are full automatics right?

Also any other pointers will be much appreciated.

thanks
Dexter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 07:52   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You can buy XC90s with Manual and Automatic gearboxes. the Automatic boxes also have a Manual mode.

D5 means Diesel, 5 cylinder.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 08:11   #3
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I think all of the older (pre 14 at least) are d5, i.e., five cylenders,

The semi automatic is a feature where you can move the gear knob to the left and the gears only change by moving the lever up and down. The gear you are in is indicated in a box under the tacho on the dash. Moving the knob to right re selects auto. Such use might be to keep the gearbox in one gear for towing up a hill, but it is now no longer automatic and in this mode has the potential to stall if revs to low, or overev if too high. You need to listen to the engine or carefully monitor the tacho. This gearbox is also called 'geartronic'.

As said there is a manual gearbox option.

Mine is geartronic and after a life of manual cars, I have to say makes you very lazy and laid back!

Welcome and good luck.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 10:22   #4
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter22 View Post
Hi all
Also are there some that are semi-auto like a smart?
thanks
No. The smart uses a manual gearbox and clutch in conjunction with automated selector/clutch actuators. Mechanically, it's a manual. The XC90 auto is an automatic gearbox in the true sense, based on the torque converter principle.

Quote:
Hi all
Also any other pointers will be much appreciated.
thanks
With respect, you need to know a lot more than you currently do if you're not going to risk buying something which will be very costly for you to repair a few days down the road. Everything you need to know has been discussed hundreds of times on this forum (it is, in my opinion, the most useful marque forum I know of), so be kind to yourself and spend a weekend here reading up before going to see something.

Here's a starting point: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319549

Last edited by Moose Test; Jan 19th, 2022 at 10:27.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 18:19   #5
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Hi I have to agree with that, I have looked on other marque forums for friends and just give up.
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 21:57   #6
Dexter22

Hello all

Grateful for your help.

I still don't get what the difference between D5 and D is, I can see both D and D5s available online with 163bhp and from the same year. Are they different models?

thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 23:47   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Hello all

Grateful for your help.

I still don't get what the difference between D5 and D is, I can see both D and D5s available online with 163bhp and from the same year. Are they different models?

thanks
Sellers/vendors describing something incorrectly ... you will also find 160bhp, 165bhp,180bhp, 187bhp .... all wrong, dont worry about it, all mark1 diesel XC90's in the UK are D5's ... 5cylinder diesels ... any other descriptions are poorly advised descriptions.

hope it helps.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:18   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Sellers/vendors describing something incorrectly ... you will also find 160bhp, 165bhp,180bhp, 187bhp .... all wrong, dont worry about it, all mark1 diesel XC90's in the UK are D5's ... 5cylinder diesels ... any other descriptions are poorly advised descriptions.

hope it helps.
Parkers seem to indicate that there are various versions/specifications available, including both D's and D5's, and that they came with Power outputs at 163bhp, 182bhp, 185bhp & 197bhp.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/volvo/xc90/estate-2002/specs/ (executive trim shows the 4 engine labels/power outputs on the one spec, with the 2.4D showing 163bhp and if you select the 2.4D5 it shows it as 163bhp & (06)182bhp )

Granted I believe they are all pretty much the same 5 cylinder engine, in different states of tune but they are all not identical if that is what you are suggesting. (but I think you may just be suggesting that they are deviations in the ads from the quoted output)

Easiest way is you can put the reg in Parkers of a vehicle you are interested in and it will give the spec.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-specs/

I also have issue with the suggestion that D5 means 5 cylinder diesel.(Yes all that generation of D5's are 5 cylinder diesels) but does that mean Volvo's D2's are 2 cylinder and D3's are 3 cylinder. Also the current D5 has 4 cylinders.

Last edited by Rocinante; Jan 20th, 2022 at 12:36.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 13:59   #9
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

The info you have quoted from Parkers is plain wrong for the MK1 XC90 UK spec cars.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 15:53   #10
Dexter22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
No. The smart uses a manual gearbox and clutch in conjunction with automated selector/clutch actuators. Mechanically, it's a manual. The XC90 auto is an automatic gearbox in the true sense, based on the torque converter principle.

With respect, you need to know a lot more than you currently do if you're not going to risk buying something which will be very costly for you to repair a few days down the road. Everything you need to know has been discussed hundreds of times on this forum (it is, in my opinion, the most useful marque forum I know of), so be kind to yourself and spend a weekend here reading up before going to see something.

Here's a starting point: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319549
I have looked at that site and thank you! Your comment was spot on. I have been using Toyota's for a while and I got to the point where i would have used cars delivered to my door without checking them out first and never ever having any sort of issues with them.

I was planning to have an XC90 delivered to my door but after your message and follow on read through the forum pages, I now appreciate the XC90 beast a bit more. I can't buy one without checking it out thoroughly first.

thank you for this, credit where credit is due.