Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 “Twitchy steering”

Views : 883

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2022, 20:52   #1
nickgla

Default XC90 “Twitchy steering”

Hey guys. After a long time looking I find a XC90 2005 2.4 for my first Volvo experience. Been after a Volvo for a while researched lots finally find a half decent one and jump in. All looked ok, took test drive engine gear box seem fine. Paid the fella got onto the motorway and the only way I can describe it is as if the steering is trying to correct itself. It only happens when turning and the best way to describe as if it is “twitchy” like trying to correct. If managed to get it home after 4 hours and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to start on what they think it might be or maybe a thread on this forum that’s discussed it before (I’ve had a look but can’t see anything)

Cheers in advance guys

Last edited by nickgla; May 19th, 2022 at 21:05.
nickgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 06:08   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

First and foremost, check tyre pressures and see if any tyre is too hard or too soft.

Rotate tyres front and rear and check again. You may have a deformed tyre.

Check power steering fluid is full and clean, if not, replace the fluid. Very easy DIY with a turkey baster.

Then check all suspension and steering ball-joints for deterioration. Replace any looking or feeling worn. Get a wheel alignment done afterwards.

Only after having done all the above, should you consider replacing the steering rack, as this is the most involved and most expensive option.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2022, 08:37   #3
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

I have the same issue on my xc90. It's noticeable when going along a sweeping bend either left or right, feels as if the wheel is kicking back against the direction I'm steering in (not aggressively, but noticeable)

My mate who also owns an xc90 has the same issue. We went to a Volvo indy who said its pretty common and normal, but I don't believe that.

I did replace the power steering fluid and that did help a little but it is still present. After a year I have now become used to it.

All steering components are new so that isn't the culprit (for me, at least) so perhaps it is the steering rack. However until it gets worse or fails on me I will continue to live with it as the process of replacing the rack seems like a PITA and something I don't want to do unless I have no choice.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2022, 10:04   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

If you decide to get the alignment checked, make sure its 4 wheel alignment and not just the front, can make a huge difference.

As you seem to be in Glasgow, I have used MTEK Glasgow in Rutherglen for years and found them very good and certainly know their stuff, they are a BMW indi, but don't mind working on Volvos

You and find other local Hunter alignment garages at https://alignmycar.co.uk/

No affiliation, just impressed with MTEK
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:17   #5
DJT

Mine does the same, as did my previous XC90.
All checks done but still does it.
Old May 21st, 2022, 13:12   #6
nickgla

Thanks for the responses guys I’ve changed the power steering fluid it was black now a nice green colour took a few times to get it green. Steering feels a lot lighter and not noticing the “twitchyness” as much. Hopefully this was it, not on to the next challenge.
nickgla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickgla For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2022, 14:18   #7
t5frankie
Master Member

Just had this same problem with my s60, just replaced the steering fluid and all fixed, took 5 minutes literally

visit my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/t5frankie?feature=mhee
t5frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 17:00   #8
passenger
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
Just had this same problem with my s60, just replaced the steering fluid and all fixed, took 5 minutes literally
Bleed your system, not just fluid in reservoir
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote