Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheapest Mod. I've found...

Views : 2563

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 18:07   #11
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Works for me. I do it once a week. Sounds daft, but I got the radio code, so I'm ok.

I went 2 weeks not so long ago and 'thought' I (and the car) were a little sluggish. Reset, and hey presto! Instant performance again. Weird, but true, or at least so my turbo seems to thinks so, lol. Bye-Bye little boys, enjoy the site of my rear-end, hehe! Yes, it's a Volvo!
i will give it a go at the weekend dave, but be prepared for a slating if it dont work lol......
cheers
jod
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 18:10   #12
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
thanks gary....you live and learn..., i did not consider the knock sensors tbh...but now you explain it, it does make sense....
cheers mate
jod

It's an age thing as non of us can remember everything we have forgot lol, when we having a beer then? Next Essex/southern meet, whoever holds it?

Gaz
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 18:19   #13
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
It's an age thing as non of us can remember everything we have forgot lol, when we having a beer then? Next Essex/southern meet, whoever holds it?

Gaz
i have not checked the n/weald events gary tbh, no doubt arbee will be in touch when and where but if your ever out my way i will treat you to a pint and pool in the fox.....i will keep an eye out and be sure to make next one as i missed the last, plus if don goes i want to test his mte....v's std v's 304....now that sound fun.....
cheers
jod
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 18:20   #14
Ren
performancevolvoworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
i will give it a go at the weekend dave, but be prepared for a slating if it dont work lol......
cheers
jod
LOL. Nice one. You do need to give it a while though. I usually leave it off whilst the footies on the box on the weekend. Some say overnight, but that's just daft. Unless you have an enclosed driveway of course, or some little bu**er will have the contents away, and you won't need to worry about the radio code!

Might be a generation thing? I know also that some cars are more responsive than others straight out the box. Just the way it goes I'm affraid. But yes, let us know.

Dave

PS T H E C A R I S S T I L L F O R S A L E !
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 18:25   #15
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:

T H E C A R I S S T I L L F O R S A L E !
jeez mate yes i heard about that...sorry business mate, chin up
cheers
jod
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 19:41   #16
peteS40

Quote:
I went 2 weeks not so long ago and 'thought' I (and the car) were a little sluggish. Reset, and hey presto! Instant performance again. Weird, but true, or at least so my turbo seems to thinks so, lol. Bye-Bye little boys, enjoy the site of my rear-end, hehe! Yes, it's a Volvo!
What is almost certainly occurring here, is that the ECU constantly adapts to suit the driving conditions and it bases the data over maybe several hundered miles worth of driving.

If you reset the ECU and then spend the next couple of miles going hell-for-leather then the only data available is that few miles.

But normally, we all have to drive around in traffic, idling at the lights, taking it easy etc. etc. so the ECU adapts everything to include that as well. So if you put in a quick burst now and then, then the ECU will "avergage it out" over all the preceding data.

I am certain that if you were able to drive with the pedal to the metal 100% of the time then you would find resetting the ECU would lead to worse performance. But because that is not possible to drive like that ALL the time - unless you are a joyrider featuring in tonight's "police, camera, action" of course - then resetting the ECU regularly seems to lead to a performance increase.

The "leave it for ages" thing is so that the contents of the volatile memory can discharge away fully. You can speed this process up by connecting the +ve and -ve leads of the battery together AFTER removing from the battery, because there is then a reduced resistance for the charge to decay away through. It may then take just 5 mins or less.

Pete
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 21:18   #17
arbee
Yellow member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

Gaz
my ears burning? lol

Gary, are you (or anyone else?) gonna make Salisbury? AC wants to do Cams way next - Nov-ish? so back down in Essex for December maybe

Edit - sorry for o/t - gonna try this ECU reset business sometime....
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 21:53   #18
DickyB V70R

Well, I left mine with the battery disconected overnight about a week ago, and as Ren said it does make a differance.

But....Will doing this Reset ALL the ECU's on the car....??

Dicky.
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 23:37   #19
bb54
diy bhp

Quote:
LOL. Nice one. You do need to give it a while though. I usually leave it off whilst the footies on the box on the weekend. Some say overnight, but that's just daft. Unless you have an enclosed driveway of course, or some little bu**er will have the contents away, and you won't need to worry about the radio code!

Might be a generation thing? I know also that some cars are more responsive than others straight out the box. Just the way it goes I'm affraid. But yes, let us know.

Dave

PS T H E C A R I S S T I L L F O R S A L E !
hi, why not just pop the lid on the ECU box and remove the ECU ?
alarm will still work.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 23:50   #20
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Spot on about the knock sensor. Many ECUs will advance the timing until they 'hear' knock, thus effectively determining the octane rating of the fuel. It shouldn't be 'learned' though - it should be dynamic. I'm just going to tune mine for 99, and hope I can find a 'fancy' petrol station at all times!

Ryan has found V-POWAH is giving better MPG and more power in the 700R, but we believe that is running on the rich side of normal due to a dubious chip...a probing with my wideband will determine that in greater clarity.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote