Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sticking front brakes

Views : 816

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 23:34   #1
sparky543uk2000

Default Sticking front brakes

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2010 xc90 executive 2.4 d5.

I'm loving it but I've found an issue and I'm not sure how to cure it.

When I apply the handbrake, other than it needs adjusting as it doesn't hold which is fine, I'll adjust it/replace the shoes come mot time. It's when I release the handbrake, I get a problem where it seems the front brakes are stuck on and I get a juddering noise and hot wheels. It sounds and feels like the front but can't be certain.

I don't get this problem when I just leave it in park and don't apply the handbrake.

Any help would be appreciated.
sparky543uk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:23   #2
binty

Smile Check each wheel

Hi,
If it it is parking brake related it can only be the rears.
The shoes can stick or as happened in mine the lining can detach from the shoe causing noise and heat.
If it is hot just holding your hand in front of each wheel in turn will tell you which one it is.
Siezed callipers also cause heat but not handbrake related.
Volvo shoes are the best and consider fitting adjusters from the 850 instead of the fixed spacer. Threads on here about it, and it improved mine. Quite cheap parts from Volvo.
If it’s callipers it is either a repair or exchange. Volvo was cheaper than euro car parts.
Good luck
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 12:16   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As he said - the handbrake is totally independent of the main brakes and operates on the rear wheels only, so if you have hot front wheels then that needs to be looked at as well.

You may also have a sticking handbrake cable though this would be unusual, the are well sealed.

Again it's been said but it's worth saying again - when you do the handbrake use only genuine Volvo shoes, fit the adjusters and check the inside contact edge of the discs for corrosion. Any rust and they're toast...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 00:06   #4
sparky543uk2000

I will have to check the shoes.

I'm sure that when I bought the car, it was listed as having hill start assist and thought this might be the cause of the sticking brakes. Never had a car with it so thought I would get some advice before touching it.

I had a 2004 v70 before and put the adjusters on that because I was fed up with replacing the shoes every year.

Thank you.
sparky543uk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 08:46   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I've you've done a V70 handbrake then you will fine the brakes on the XC90 quite familiar.... (other than the parking brake being foot operated).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 21:35   #6
nrobinson

Regarding the front calliper issue - for what its worth I had my left calliper stick about a year ago. Left side completely worn down - right still had about 8-9 mm. IR thermometer showing left to be about 150deg after a short journey.

I was tempted to replace calliper but as the pistons seemed to retract smoothly when removing the old pads and being in a rush opted to just change the pads.

A year on I've had no more issues. In fact the problematic left side runs cooler than the right when tested with the thermometer.
nrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote