Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 142

Views : 125547

Replies : 265

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 18:00   #51
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Have done the front suspension and steering; 164 springs, Bilstein shocks, poly bushes, ball joints, rods and bronze/grease idler arm mod. Rear suspension today and then I need to check camber, castor and toe in.

Ordered parts for a wee engine performance upgrade; TT3 cam, 7kg flywheel, 2 " exhaust along with a new clutch, aluminium/steel timing gears set and the other bits needed for the job.

Would like a B20B head for the engine upgrade, anyone got one they'd be willing to sell to a good cause? :-)
. . . not forgetting the rear crank seal. . .
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 19:29   #52
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Not doing the bottom end but if it’s leaking will put in a new felt seal.
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 20:15   #53
morwenna240

Quote:
Have done the front suspension and steering; 164 springs, Bilstein shocks, poly bushes, ball joints, rods and bronze/grease idler arm mod. Rear suspension today and then I need to check camber, castor and toe in.

Ordered parts for a wee engine performance upgrade; TT3 cam, 7kg flywheel, 2 " exhaust along with a new clutch, aluminium/steel timing gears set and the other bits needed for the job.

Would like a B20B head for the engine upgrade, anyone got one they'd be willing to sell to a good cause? :-)
What is a TT3 cam, exactly? Is this the one Simon at brookhouse sells?
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:32   #54
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
What is a TT3 cam, exactly? Is this the one Simon at brookhouse sells?
It’s from Tinus Tuning in the Netherlands. He’s doing a lot of really decent stuff, check him out if you are after some more performance.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...search&pto=aue
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:42   #55
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:

Suspension and steering done. Alignment is as per the original specs at the moment but one side castor is just a wee bit out but I’m up at our cottage at the moment and as Aberdeen is in lockdown it won’t be for a while that I get the alignment how I want it.

All the new parts have arrived. Also got a new thicker ARB from Brookhouse and a high torque starter. Getting a local garage to fit the exhaust, ARB and starter next week as I don’t have access to a workshop up here at the cottage.

Going to have a play with a stub stack for the carb intake and a K&N filter and see if it makes any difference.
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 21:05   #56
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A few runs today before mods.

https://youtu.be/VsJr0-9pjdk

https://youtu.be/hhWrNfRxti0

https://youtu.be/aUri_juKUyo
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 23:40   #57
morwenna240

Quote:
Suspension and steering done. Alignment is as per the original specs at the moment but one side castor is just a wee bit out but I’m up at our cottage at the moment and as Aberdeen is in lockdown it won’t be for a while that I get the alignment how I want it.

All the new parts have arrived. Also got a new thicker ARB from Brookhouse and a high torque starter. Getting a local garage to fit the exhaust, ARB and starter next week as I don’t have access to a workshop up here at the cottage.

Going to have a play with a stub stack for the carb intake and a K&N filter and see if it makes any difference.
I'll be interested to hear results of that. While doing my own research on tuning B20's, i was strongly advised to take air inlet outside engine compartment.

Last edited by morwenna240; Aug 12th, 2020 at 23:44. Reason: Remembered more info.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 05:05   #58
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:

Which ARB did you end up going with?

High torque starter? Which one? I hope it was just the Bosch SR37X permanent magnet starter which is the later drop in replacement for the original SR37. Well, almost drop in if you ignore the metric threaded mounting ears. Dirt cheap for genuine Bosch remanufactured versions ($100 Cdn) or even less if you can find a late 240, 740, 940 ... in a salvage yard. Taking the old starter out is work because of its weight. Putting the SR 37X in is easy because its probably 1/2 the weight. Your car will be faster because of the weight loss.

Most interested to hear how the car drives with the TT3 installed. Did you check out Amazon Cars offerings? They say their cams are made by Isky; but, to their specifications. However, I have never found any details on what the differences were.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:00   #59
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I went for the 25mm one from Brookhouse in the end and just going to suck it and see what it’s like.

The starter I again went for the one Brookhouse sell. I’ve done the upgrade with a 740 one on my Amazon and it’s a really good upgrade. I initially put a used one in my Amazon but didn’t last so just going new this time.

I didn’t speak with Amazon cars and that’s the first time I’ve heard they spec their own cams, I’m not sure that is the case. I’m looking to improve low and mid range torque/hp mainly and keeping the single Stromberg. I spoke with Ben at Tinus Tuning and the TT3 should hopefully give me a nice performance upgrade but my carb/intake manifold is the bottleneck for anything more aggressive. I want to improve town driving so acceleration from low down is the goal and I don’t want to be going over 5000rpm for max power. Hopefully with the K&N, stub stack, cam, 2” exhaust and lightened flywheel it will give me a noticeable improvement. Ideally another 20hp at 4500/5000rpm would be a win.
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 09:57   #60
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Modified a SU6 stub stack for the Stromberg and added a K&N filter. Also made a new bottom bush for the rear shock.