Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM 3 fault?

Views : 1317

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 17:05   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default CEM 3 fault?

I've been to see a customer today with a 480, I've never worked on one before so had to do a bit of research before going.

At first he thought it was completely fried as he tried to charge it using his electric Mercedes, then he charged the battery on the car using a normal battery charger. The ignition lights came on but the starter just clicked so I jump started it with my 940 and it ran fine.

However the drivers electric window wound itself down! But won't go back up and the passenger electric window is shut luckily but won't go down. The main beam is on even with the light switch in the off position and the best bit is I have checked all the fuses have power (all at 13V with engine running) but the 30A fuse for the main beam has no power either side of the fuse! So how on earth are they on? It could be I hadn't quite got the multimeter in the correct position but I managed to check every other fuse fine so I doubt it as I checked it several times.

My thinking is the CEM 3 module is dodgy, the car is an L reg 1.7 non turbo 480 ES.

Any advice appreciated
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 13:22   #2
dcw
VOC Member

All the functions you describe are certainly controlled by the CEM, so I think you are looking in the right direction.

I wonder if trying to charge it using an electric Mercedes has somehow fried parts of the CEM? I know nothing about electric cars and their systems, but a normal jump start such as you performed with your 940 certainly shouldn't have hurt the CEM at all.

I don't know any of the background to the problem he was having, and of course you might not either, but sometimes the connections into the CEM can be slightly dislodged by rummaging around in the glove-box/passenger-side footwell side area if by any chance that has happened.

I would be inclined to remove the plastic trim down there (pull the weather-strip clear, sharp tug to pull up the inner door-sill trim, sharp tug to pull off bonnet release knob, then one screw and pull the plastic panel away (it should be held on two clips if they are still present after all these years).

There are three multi-pin connections into a CEM3 to check are tightly home.

Otherwise, best bet is to try another CEM...

Hope that helps!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 15:53   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
but the 30A fuse for the main beam has no power either side of the fuse! So how on earth are they on? It could be I hadn't quite got the multimeter in the correct position but I managed to check every other fuse fine so I doubt it as I checked it several times.
The electronics are designed with failsafe modes.
If comms are lost, some or all devices go to a failsafe mode: this means for example headlights on.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 16:16   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Thanks both for the advice, I have advised the customer of what you have both said. He is going to buy another CEM 3 (he needs one for one of his other 480s too) so if that doesn't fix it then atleast he has it for his other 480.

I'll update how I get on with it.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: