Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

not a happy girl!

Views : 1558

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:41   #1
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Default not a happy girl!

morning all..a few weeks back old bertha had the damp start morning symptons so i changed all the usual plugs leads rotor dizzy..no change..so i pulled the plugs and they are very sooty only been in the car for 50 miles..I"m getting worried now..because on start up seems to be only running on three or possibly two cylinders for about 30 seconds then clears and runs although not perfect is useable..this morning i thought she was going to break down completely so i pulled over as engine was getting bogged down..turned it off..started again and was fine for the remainder of journey and got me home..There is no oil in expansion tank and seem to be losing no coolant..no water in the oil..Having a compression test this week..strange symptoms..fine then not then fine..sigh..The sooty plugs might be where i should be looking..any advice will be very welcome..hj..ps erg pipe under the exhaust manifold is leaking badly.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:48   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I'm probably wrong, but something in my mind tells me these had Pierburg carburettors. If thats the case its well worth checking for a split diaphragm.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 08:04   #3
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Thanks familyman...it has a solex on it..i"m beginning to think it might be a failing coil or ignition module..I pray to the big fella upstairs its not the head gasket..hj
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 08:07   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Head gasket is very easy and straightforward on these, unless the engine gets cooked. Can't think of an easier OHC motor to do a headset on. A lazy mornings DIY. Fingers crossed its something simple though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 10:03   #5
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

another thing before i forget..she is drinking more than i am...poor spark delivery?
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 23:44   #6
grumpydad

Hi
its a carb problem

bad start running rich
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpydad For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 09:15   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Thanks familyman...it has a solex on it..i"m beginning to think it might be a failing coil or ignition module..I pray to the big fella upstairs its not the head gasket..hj
The symptoms sound more like a carburettor problem. Here is a link to a copy of the green book that covers all the carburettors (including Solex and Peirburg). I would suggest going through the set up procedure for whatever you have fitted - check the diaphragm and the oil damper level first:

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...el_Systems.pdf

All the carburettors are really simple, it doesn't take long to set them up from scratch.

It is important to be methodical when looking for a fault. I would suggest that you check the ignition timing with a strobe (takes 2 minutes) and the compression (takes 15 minutes) because they are quick and easy, and eliminate a whole raft of possible problems.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 20:25   #8
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

sigh!..ok here we go..took bertha to the garage..£100 later..no change..just fired the old girl up..not firing on cylinder one and four..on start up dont understand it...this redblock is undestoryable..there is nothing wrong with the engine..i was thinking weak spark..i dont know what the firing order is?...this is killing me guys..its getting me down...hj.
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 23:25   #9
DW42

What were the compression test results? Is there compression in cylinders 1 and 4?
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 00:46   #10
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Thanks DW...everything has gone through my head..head gasket ..valves .. compression..you guys are going have to trust me when i say this engine is bomb proof..this does not happen over night..but thats what happened..folks staring into my bonnet.a lot of head scratching..and advice..i still think its electrical which goes against all my logic..firstly i"m going to change coil pack..if that doesnt work i"ll come crawling back...thanks guys!..hj.