Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Towbar (XC60)

Views : 1742

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:32   #11
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I've got both the Thule roof bar-mounted bike carriers and the Volvo (Thule re-branded) towbar-mounted bike carrier. I'm 6'5" so have the height for loading on to the roof yet far prefer the towbar carrier - it's soooo much more convenient. It also comes with the ability to drop it away from the back of the car so that you can access the boot without fear of clouting the bikes with the tailgate.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 12:33   #12
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
FWIW, I use roof bars and four thule bike carriers for four mountain bikes. Never had any problems over several thousand miles. A bit tricky to get the bikes on - but good weight training! Easier with a small set of steps which I take with me when the car is not loaded with other stuff. Having four bikes on the roof has a dramatic effect on fuel economy. Also, the bikes can take a bit of a battering from the windspeed, flies etc and once a bird. They get a good wash when it rains though!

If money was no object, I suspect I would have a tow bar and tow bar carrier, as I suspect that is easier and has less impact on the fuel economy. Suspect the bikes would pick up more road grime, but less flies. But then if money was no object I wouldn't care about the fuel economy...

Thanks for the info Steve - as a shorty 5' 6" roof bars have always been tricky for me to use but they are good.

However, just had my call to say car is here and sorting out etc and was advised the latest finance contribution is £500 more than when I was accepted etc. If I 'take' an insurance product they'll give me 10% off the towbar and use the remainder against the towbar. So I've took alloy wheel protection at £231 (would never usually bother with) and that has left the towbar balance at £766. OK I know its all finance jiggery pokery and they get an insurance sale but net cost to me is nothing and I get the towbar for not much more than the bars would have cost me.

What made my decision easier was I got an award at work this morning giving me £250 vouchers - so can buy the Thule 9502 using that and have some money left. Today is a good day!
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 12:36   #13
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I've got both the Thule roof bar-mounted bike carriers and the Volvo (Thule re-branded) towbar-mounted bike carrier. I'm 6'5" so have the height for loading on to the roof yet far prefer the towbar carrier - it's soooo much more convenient. It also comes with the ability to drop it away from the back of the car so that you can access the boot without fear of clouting the bikes with the tailgate.
Good to know - really pleased with how this has turned out, now just slightly nervous at how the minimal cut for the bar will look but all will be good I'm sure.
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:25   #14
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Good to know - really pleased with how this has turned out, now just slightly nervous at how the minimal cut for the bar will look but all will be good I'm sure.
I've got the folding Volvo one fitted and unless you get on your hands and knees, you'd never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 23:18   #15
cvsmjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Not spoke to Marshalls yet (being called tomorrow to arrange pick up) but have spoken to another dealer via eBay who have said they can do this for £900. Bit of a bargain to be honest.

Just need to decide if I go this route or the roof bars. Roof bar cost in total approx £400 but towbar and carrier about £1100. Far more convenient, but keep thinking the roof bars will be easier to store than the towbar carrier in the garage (and I keep/sell the bars when the car goes).

Decisions!
Realise this post was a while back but you wouldn't have the details of the dealer on eBay would you?? Expect my xc60 in Feb and require a towbar £1175 is too steep.
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote