Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor XC90 residuals

Views : 4888

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2020, 22:41   #11
bobby2000
VOC Member

Just checked my 3 year old XC60 on webuyany car and it's value is exactly half of its new cost of 48k. The car has 10500 miles on the clock.
Good point about the RFL.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 22:53   #12
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
Just checked my 3 year old XC60 on webuyany car and it's value is exactly half of its new cost of 48k. The car has 10500 miles on the clock.
Good point about the RFL.

WBAC is a good base price guide although you can often get more - ive had better offers from dealers looking for stock through motorway when selling my last car although unfortunately covid hit.

As others have said new or list. Who pays list nowadays especially which impacts the 2nd hand market as the cars seem to find their true value.

But to be fair premium cars especially buy cars in general are murder for losing money. At one point on my last car I worked out I’d lost more than £1/mile in depreciation alone. It’s just a pain that the car I want is either bl00dy rare or the options aren’t what suit me.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 23:06   #13
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
WBAC is a good base price guide although you can often get more - ive had better offers from dealers looking for stock through motorway when selling my last car although unfortunately covid hit.

As others have said new or list. Who pays list nowadays especially which impacts the 2nd hand market as the cars seem to find their true value.

But to be fair premium cars especially buy cars in general are murder for losing money. At one point on my last car I worked out I’d lost more than £1/mile in depreciation alone. It’s just a pain that the car I want is either bl00dy rare or the options aren’t what suit me.
Mine was registered in September 2017 so one of the early 2018 XC60 cars, there were no discounts offered or used around. But this is probably going to be my last car so I thought I'd spoil myself and speced it up for comfort, I've nearly always bought low mileage, nearly new in the past and changed it before MOT was due.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 01:31   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Looking at trade prices for my car at just over a year old and they are a tad over 50% of list including options, pretty disappointing. Then I get an e-mail from my dealer offering me £12k off a new order including 'loyalty discount'. Then I notice that the GFV at month 49 in this is £5-6k less than on my contract. It's tough out there!
This is why I don't buy new cars. As soon as you drive off the forecourt, its lost money & will continue to do so at an alarming rate.

Buying used isn't everyone's cup of tea I know, but I'd much prefer to buy something say 4-5 years old with low mileage that's lost the majority of its value already. Then the depreciation isn't as much of a low blow.

Then there's the road tax for vehicles with a list price of over £40k when new. That's also another expense that puts me off buying a new car.

In your case, you wanted air suspension & a few other things. I'm sure that its a fine vehicle indeed, but I'm not convinced losing that amount of money by buying new for the sake of air suspension, wheels etc is really worth it. Then you're being offered a £12k discount to buy another new vehicle, which will lose more money up on top of what's already gone! Thanks, but no thanks.

Its your car, your money & your choice though. Just offering my opinion & like I said, a used car doesn't suit everyone.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 25th, 2020 at 01:48.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 12:41   #15
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
This is why I don't buy new cars. As soon as you drive off the forecourt, its lost money & will continue to do so at an alarming rate.

Buying used isn't everyone's cup of tea I know, but I'd much prefer to buy something say 4-5 years old with low mileage that's lost the majority of its value already. Then the depreciation isn't as much of a low blow.

Then there's the road tax for vehicles with a list price of over £40k when new. That's also another expense that puts me off buying a new car.

In your case, you wanted air suspension & a few other things. I'm sure that its a fine vehicle indeed, but I'm not convinced losing that amount of money by buying new for the sake of air suspension, wheels etc is really worth it. Then you're being offered a £12k discount to buy another new vehicle, which will lose more money up on top of what's already gone! Thanks, but no thanks.

Its your car, your money & your choice though. Just offering my opinion & like I said, a used car doesn't suit everyone.
Indeed. I think anyone who buys a new car has more money than sense, but that could be my Scottish roots coming into play.

Having said that, I'm glad they do as it gives us a decent selection of used (normally buy cars at about 2 years old) cars to buy.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 15:40   #16
Tony Harrison

Am intrigued by some of the views on here.

I have just bought a pre-reg S90 for 37% off list with 10 miles on the clock. OK, I'm the second owner but that's a brand new car with a full 3 years of warranty. And I got a very good trade-in value for my previous car so the cost to change was really modest.

I accept that the supply of pre-reg cars varies over time and that you may not get the spec you want (but I did).

I've set up a special savings account to pay for the road tax........

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:15   #17
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
Am intrigued by some of the views on here.

I have just bought a pre-reg S90 for 37% off list with 10 miles on the clock. OK, I'm the second owner but that's a brand new car with a full 3 years of warranty. And I got a very good trade-in value for my previous car so the cost to change was really modest.

I accept that the supply of pre-reg cars varies over time and that you may not get the spec you want (but I did).

I've set up a special savings account to pay for the road tax........
Horses for courses and perhaps what I should have said was that anyone who buys a new car without getting a significant discount has more money than sense.

That is an impressive deal and I would have been tempted by that myself but whenever I have looked for pre-reg deals they seem very few and far between and generally are just the base spec with no extras, apart from maybe metallic paint. I see that it's an S90; the market for large saloons has really plummeted over the last few years with the rise of the SUV, so that may explain such a good price.
I'm not massively fussy on spec but the one thing I wanted was the adaptive cruise, having used it heavily in previous car. That doesn't come as standard on any V60 trim so that did restrict the available suitable cars, however, I found a V60 Inscription Pro with about £7k of extras, 2 years old and with just over 20k miles at about 50% of the list price, which seemed like a good price to me.

Yes, the extra tax stings but thinking about it spread across the year it's actually not that bad. I just filter out my wife when she reminds me about the £30 VED on her Golf.
I also have car savings "pot" which I will probably start to put more into as the car gets to the end of the warranty.

Hope you enjoy the S90, I'm loving the V60.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bornmiddleaged For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 11:20   #18
Discoman

The forum is reflecting the population at large who buy cars at a range of prices and ages. That's how a market works and makes sense.

The interesting thing is that list prices keep rising but discounts are getting bigger too to level things up. What will be worth watching is how B5 Petrol or Diesel sales perform the closer we get to 2030. Hybrids are a compromise, interim technology that are reverse engineered to meet company car tax rates and all electric cars are still hugely expensive on average. Lots to change relatively soon and much earlier than 2030 due to both EU Co2 fines and customers unwillingness to buy non-compliant cars from five, six years before the ban.
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 11:39   #19
DG97

A lot of interesting opinions on new vs used. I guess everyone has a reason to go either way.

I've bought one new car before but recently swapped to a one year old S60 with around 4k miles on the clock. It's well equipped with a few extras, mainly Intellisafe Pro as that is what I wanted. The list price was around 38k new and it cost me £24k with good trade-in value. With such a price drop, it would be difficult to justify buying new at £24k as you're not going to end up with something much better than a Golf etc at that price point even with a few discounts included.
DG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 14:09   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
The forum is reflecting the population at large who buy cars at a range of prices and ages. That's how a market works and makes sense.

The interesting thing is that list prices keep rising but discounts are getting bigger too to level things up. What will be worth watching is how B5 Petrol or Diesel sales perform the closer we get to 2030. Hybrids are a compromise, interim technology that are reverse engineered to meet company car tax rates and all electric cars are still hugely expensive on average. Lots to change relatively soon and much earlier than 2030 due to both EU Co2 fines and customers unwillingness to buy non-compliant cars from five, six years before the ban.
It is a commonly held opinion that petrol and diesel cars will depreciate more heavily as we approach the ban on their sale in 2030. I can understand the logic, however I am inclined to believe the opposite.

The ban in 2030 is a ban on sale, not a ban on use. So as we pass 2030 and supply of conventional fuelled cars dries up, then I believe that the good used examples with actually be more sought after. This will have the effect of supporting residuals.

This will be especially notable if the electric (or hybrid) alternatives available new are still compromised in terms of charging infrastructure/range/purchase price/maintenance cost etc....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: