Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre pressure monitors

Views : 1591

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2020, 08:47   #11
Dippydog
Premier Member

Still remember dad going round first thing in the morning kicking the tyres on each of the three lorries!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:08   #12
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Still remember dad going round first thing in the morning kicking the tyres on each of the three lorries!
"That one's fine, it's only flat at the bottom".
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 07:58   #13
IainMcL1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
I've learnt not to take much notice of tyre pressure monitors. The first time I had one give me a warning I panicked and pulled over to the side of the motorway. I checked all the tyres and they were fine. That has been the case every time a warning has come up since.
Never had a false alarm with my 2014 XC60, but had it with my 2016 V60 Cross Country and 2018 XC60 when towing .... alarming to say the least when you are hurtling down the motorway with 1700Kg of caravan on tow.

To be fair to Volvo also happened with Skoda and VW systems when towing .... the Skoda system also didn't like the cold on one car!

We will see what recently delived 2020 XC60 does when I can get the caravan out again!
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 17:32   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMcL1970 View Post
Never had a false alarm with my 2014 XC60, but had it with my 2016 V60 Cross Country and 2018 XC60 when towing .... alarming to say the least when you are hurtling down the motorway with 1700Kg of caravan on tow.

To be fair to Volvo also happened with Skoda and VW systems when towing .... the Skoda system also didn't like the cold on one car!

We will see what recently delived 2020 XC60 does when I can get the caravan out again!
so to sum up
2 out of 3 volvo fitted ones = Rather good at being really poor
vw/skoda As good at being really rather pants,,

Quote:
the Skoda system also didn't like the cold on one car!
That is that bad its priceless,, skoda the original "heated rear screen so your hands dont get cold pushing it" has a TPMS that fails in the cold,, in the UK,,, Priceless

kinda re-affirms the views shared on here > there sh*te and a "do-nowt doohicky" that "everyone must have "

whereas something like

Works in the "warm" as well as uk weather and doesnt scare the behejuss out of you with a false alarm when towing on the motorway,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 18:14   #15
IainMcL1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
so to sum up
2 out of 3 volvo fitted ones = Rather good at being really poor
vw/skoda As good at being really rather pants,,

That is that bad its priceless,, skoda the original "heated rear screen so your hands dont get cold pushing it" has a TPMS that fails in the cold,, in the UK,,, Priceless

kinda re-affirms the views shared on here > there sh*te and a "do-nowt doohicky" that "everyone must have "

whereas something like

Works in the "warm" as well as uk weather and doesnt scare the behejuss out of you with a false alarm when towing on the motorway,,
Nice summary! I'm a fanatical tyre pressure checker so not totally reliant on the system but yes an alarm is still .... well er .... alarming!
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 18:35   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
If they're anything like the (in tyre valve) Volvo fitment they are more trouble than they are worth. If they could give notice that you were about to have a blowout I would have kept mine enabled. Constant false warnings. Tyres in the sun for instance would always trigger a warning. The rotational monitoring system I had on the BMW however was more reliable.

Edit: I would add as far as I know, the Volvo 'in tyre' system has been replaced in favour of the more reliable ABS rotational system.
My experience is the polar opposite...

Rotational systems based on the ABS sensors will not react if you get a significant puncture whilst driving, say you run over a nail and the tyre deflates over a mile you wont know.

The "in Valve" system if set up correctly can work very well - the system on my 2013 Passat which I had for 4 years worked perfectly - you could even see the pressures going up and down slightly when you went round fast corners. I'd much rather have that.

My last 2 XC70's (15 MY and 17 MY) had the ABS based system (unfortunately)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 20:14   #17
v_forty

Some interesting points raised on here, confirms my suspicions that they're probably somewhere between "more hassle than they're worth", and "worthless". Think I'll give them a miss and stick to the usual manual gauge!
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v_forty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 20:46   #18
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
My experience is the polar opposite...

Rotational systems based on the ABS sensors will not react if you get a significant puncture whilst driving, say you run over a nail and the tyre deflates over a mile you wont know.

The "in Valve" system if set up correctly can work very well - the system on my 2013 Passat which I had for 4 years worked perfectly - you could even see the pressures going up and down slightly when you went round fast corners. I'd much rather have that.

My last 2 XC70's (15 MY and 17 MY) had the ABS based system (unfortunately)
The VW system clearly had a superior constant read out. Volvo's in tyre system is just another example of useless inaccurate electronic gadgetry with constant 'cry wolf' false warnings. As with the lack of a dipstick in favour of a warning light!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 01:30   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

The one on my laguna was excellent, only play up when the batteries die. They would tell you the exact pressure per wheel so you can see if there are any issues such as a slow puncture, also a red puncture light. Its something I do miss.

There are numerous versions online most with **** poor reviews, the main issue is the locking nut rusting in place, 2nd issue is having to remove the nut just to put in air, from what I gather, its a security nut, so its only importance is if ya done want them nicked, so the nuts use is dependent on where ya live or park.

I do like the app version though, its more expensive than the el cheapo jobbies but I don't think it has an ongoing notification, ie you wont be alerted to any issues when the app is closed. Simple enough, just use an app like
tasker or macrodroid.
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 08:21   #20
DSK
C70 T5

I don't agree with 'you don't know if you have a deflating tyre'. It may be true for 99% of drivers who have no care of getting to know their vehicle(s).

Whilst I can appreciate that most people just drive blinkered, I can feel across all my cars should a tyre drops over 3psi. The more it drops, the more you notice. Its just a case of how much interest drivers pay to knowing and feeling their cars. Even my 75yr old mum can tell me which corner feels a bit 'off' once its almost at around 8psi difference to normal!

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post: