Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cool daddy cool

Views : 2032

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:10   #1
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Question Cool daddy cool

I have had recommendations to fit an ATF cooler to an Auto car for when I tow.
I have looked on Parts for volvo online and GSF but cannot find one.
Do I need to resort to going to Dick Turpin at my local main Volvo stealer?
Can any1 point me in the right direction so I can cost out this mod?

Can anyone recommend a towbar kit for an 850 t5? Towsure do a detachable one for £99
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:48   #2
DickyB V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madleee View Post
I have had recommendations to fit an ATF cooler to an Auto car for when I tow.
I have looked on Parts for volvo online and GSF but cannot find one.
Do I need to resort to going to Dick Turpin at my local main Volvo stealer?
Can any1 point me in the right direction so I can cost out this mod?

Can anyone recommend a towbar kit for an 850 t5? Towsure do a detachable one for £99
Lee, get in touch with Marshalls, WayneT5er on here works for them, he comes highly recommended. DB

Saffy V70R Auto...Gone But Not Forgotten.
Now got...Silver P2 04-05 V70 D5 (Facelift).
09 XC90 R-Design (the Barge).
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:01   #3
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default Owners manual says...

I had a look in the owners manual for the 850 and it says nowt about ATF coolers just to be wary about prolonged towing in mountainous areas.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 15:20   #4
vanbeck1

I fitted a cooler to my old 940 for towing and Volvo did the job for a very reasonable cost. Mind you it is only 2 bolts and re-connecting the input/output lines. As has been mentioned I would check to see if your car already has a ATF coller, many of the newer cars have them fitted as standard. If so, then you need do nothing further. My replacement S80 has one as standard and has hauled the van (1300kg MTPLM) all over Europe in temperatures up to 40 degrees. They had a heatwave last July. No problems so far.
vanbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 16:47   #5
bb54
diy bhp

hi,extra ATF cooler around £180 for parts,as dicky said, try wayne at marshalls for 10% off.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 00:21   #6
bryan123

Unhappy Auto Gearbox Oil Cooler & Self Levelling Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbeck1 View Post
I fitted a cooler to my old 940 for towing and Volvo did the job for a very reasonable cost. Mind you it is only 2 bolts and re-connecting the input/output lines. As has been mentioned I would check to see if your car already has a ATF coller, many of the newer cars have them fitted as standard. If so, then you need do nothing further. My replacement S80 has one as standard and has hauled the van (1300kg MTPLM) all over Europe in temperatures up to 40 degrees. They had a heatwave last July. No problems so far.

I have recently purchased a Volvo V70 D5 Sport (Geartronic Auto) from a Birmingham Main Volvo Dealer and will pick up a new 5 berth caravan at the end of Jan 07. (Caravan max total payload mass, MTPLM – 1475Kg).

The car was a demonstrator, for which at purchase I made it clear I wished to tow a caravan having requested they fit a towbar. After recieving the car and reading the owners manual and other documentation it became clear there are other Volvo V70 options for use in relation to towing. As the owners manual is generic my queries are as follows:

(1) Statement in manual 'Some models must be fitted with an oil cooler for the automatic transmission when towing a trailer' - Is an oil cooler likely to be required for a Geartronic auto gearbox on a 55 plate car?

(2) Factory option 'Load Compensating Suspension' - Will the standard suspension sag excessively with a caravan at 75Kg nose weight? Can load compensating suspension be retro-fitted to a sport model and at what order of cost?

With respect to suspension, I believe I have the standard not load compensating suspension. However this is based on my recent review of the standard specification for the 'V70 D5 Sport' model and the extensive (read, bewildering) list of available options. My uncertainty over the specification may sound strange but I have posed these questions verbally to main dealer sales, service and office staff on three occasions resulting disappointing, vague and inconclusive responses.

I changed to the Volvo from Audi A4 Avant in part for additional space and kerb weight, but also due to the V70 reputation for towing. Is this disinterest, or lack of knowledge, with respect to towing issues common among Volvo dealers?

I would value replies, in particular those for V70's of similar type / vintage.
bryan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 00:40   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

First off: Welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay here..
Enjoy, on delivery, you new Volvo too, welcome to the club.

Towing.... Worms. Bag of..! Woops - opened....

The oil cooler for the auto/geartronic is an option where regular, frequent towing of large/heavy loads will be carried out...
If yo upurdhase Practical Caravan, you will see that one of the team/testers uses an AWD version of the V70 D5. The V70 had also reasonable reviews for towing in the same magazine..
Neither had the additional oil cooler. If yo uare going on family holidays, 5 or 6 times a year then I doubt you would need to consider such an option...

Load levelers. Nivimat Shocks. There are other makes.
Expensive (Ohh thanks for them being standard on the V90...! ) to fit from a dealer. Expensive anyway from elsewhere.
Somewhere about £180 each shock. BUT you need to replace the standard springs as well - for waeker ones.
They are useful if you carry loads regularly and certainly come into their own when towing.
Certainly I would consider it.
But again there are other options (can't remember the name ATM).
And I would give a tow without to see how the complete set-up goes/feels before exercising your card.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:17   #8
JackT5

As CTC says unless you are going to tow heavy loads frequently you will probably be ok as regards an extra oil cooler, as for suspension, try it first and if you arent happy the easiest way out are Monroe Load Levellers or similar at around the same price for the full kit as Volvos are for one Nivomat.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 13:33   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackT5 View Post
As CTC says unless you are going to tow heavy loads frequently you will probably be ok as regards an extra oil cooler, as for suspension, try it first and if you arent happy the easiest way out are Monroe Load Levellers or similar at around the same price for the full kit as Volvos are for one Nivomat.
Yes, Monroe was the one I was thinking of.. Good opinions on them I believe..
Thanks Jack..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:33   #10
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

If you want Nivomats you can get them either from German, Swedish & French, Eurocarparts or the Sachs-Boge website. All of these are cheaper than Volvo dealers! Incidentally Nivomats work very well with heavy duty springs.

All the best, Peter.

Last edited by Peter Milnes; Dec 29th, 2006 at 02:37.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote