Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed with a move to Belgium

Views : 615

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2018, 01:55   #1
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Default Help needed with a move to Belgium

Hi Everyone,

Hope I am posting in the right place so here goes.

Brexit is upon us!!!! ( )

I, with my European partner, have decided to relocate from the Uk to Belgium (Walloon) and I will be bringing my V90 (the old original one) and my S80 (MY 2008 V8) so will need to convert them and get them certified, tested etc for Belgium.

I need to know of a reliable mechanic and reliable source of items to complete the "export" so I can continue to use these cars.

I would also like to sit a Belgium Driving test so I can keep my Uk license for as long as possible.

Any hints, tips and contacts would be MOST appreciated from the community.

And to any Belgians - Watch out!!!!

With gratitude,

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 09:19   #2
1monkey600

I can tell you that it will be very expensive, for the S80 at least, in Wallonia. Particularly if you are looking at keeping a UK licence I would also look at keeping the Volvo registered in the UK and, for example, bring it over to Belgium for the summer months.
Just to get a number plate will cost around 4000euro in taxes
i.e.
(one off cost, Registration tax, 'mise en circulation') will cost you:
> 205hp (155kW) - 10yr old car, on a diminishing scale = 1487 euro
Plus CO2 environment tax ( one off cost, 'eco-malus')
>255g/km. = 2500euro

Then, each year, road tax, 'taxe de circulation' for a 4.4 ltr car will cost you around 2285euro, give or take depending on exact cc.

Car insurance is also very expensive, most people only keep comprehensive insurance up to about 3yrs old there, even 3rd party fire and theft on a ten year old Toyota Verso was costing upwards of 600 euro a couple of years ago, plus 510euro a year in road tax.
I used to keep my E36 M3 in UK - £250/yr tax, £430/yr fully comp with 6mths allowed abroad. If I had brought it over it was 1100euro/yr tax, 750euro 3rd P, plus more than 2000euro to register it in the first place! (the eco-malus addition is only a few years old).

Tax System for vehicles in Belgium changed a few years ago with the regions going their own way. Flanders is cheaper for registering bigger engined newer cars (i.e greater than about 2ltrs) as the costs are based primarily on co2 output but Wallonie stick with the old CV system plus an additional tax for the CO2 output.

You do see lots of big american cars around but the majority are registered as company cars so they don't cost as much in the whole scheme of things.

You can calculate the one off taxes for your V90, yourself, here:

http://www.wallonie.be/sites/walloni...areme_tmc6.pdf

And the annual tax here:

http://www.wallonie.be/sites/walloni...areme_tc12.pdf

You will need a 'Certificate of Conformity' from Volvo in UK, usually about £80 (from memory) then change headlights and swap rear foglights from one side to t'other if you only have the one.
Once you bring the car over you just drive to any local 'Control Technique' which is like the MOT but is done by the Government in massive hangers. You just wait in the queue and they can put more than 10 cars through every hour, with fully automatic testing apart from the last step which is the visual one underneath, and three or four 'production lines'.Costs about 45 euro. You will need the cert of Conformity and previous MOT.
You arrange insurance and the broker will take the relevant road taxes from you at the same time and arrange for number plates to be delivered to you, or your garage.
You should check the sequence of the above steps with an insurer or the CT centre as I can't recall the exact procedure.

Last edited by 1monkey600; May 4th, 2018 at 09:30.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2018, 19:15   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Dear me, that sounds horrendously expensive. Roll on Brexit

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 22:54   #4
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Which country in europeland uses the least amount of soap per head of population ?
smelly france ? non. cest le belgique. phew.