Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stereo upgrade

Views : 465

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 09:56   #1
spare

Default Stereo upgrade

My car is a 1999 v70
My CD player doesn't work and just spits the CD out after a few seconds. I thought about taking it apart and try cleaning the lens but I see that brand new stereos are cheap. I haven't done anything with car audio before, is it just plug the new stereo in and go or do you have to splice wires etc?

Also my car has pair of loose blue wires with connectors on running under the rear seats and in the panel above the drivers foot well. They look out of place are these something to do with audio?
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:43   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

I had this joy recently. Cleaning the lens is very easy, the only other potential fix is cleaning the microswitch on the side of the unit. If that doesn't work then it suggests the mechanism itself is knackered and you need a new unit.

Have a look at one of the latest posts in my thread, has details of trying to fix the CD player and addressing the aforementioned microswitch/lens:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...6&postcount=56

If the new stereo is from the SC- series from Volvo then yes, two plugs and the aerial cable. Basically plug and play. If you're going for a non-Volvo headunit then things become more complicated. Wiring isn't much of an issue, you'll just need to buy an adapter cable/loom and plug that into existing wiring and the other side into the stereo. The problems come from Volvo's design of the headunit space. If you want to go to double DIN (the same size as currently), you'll need to invest in a facia, a cage, and you'll have to cut the two rails on either side of the headunit area in the console off (this will mean you wont be able to refit a Volvo headunit in the future). If you go single din you'll need a facia, a blanking plate (OEM is best but expensive and hard to find) and a cage - but you wont need to cut the console.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:48   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Don't know about the two loose wires -they could be anything.

But if your CD player is playing up there's a simple fix which involves freeing off a microswitch that sticks - it's a very common problem. It's dead easy to fix. Search on here and you'll find several write-ups on how it's done.

As for fitting other players it depends. The V70 takes a double-DIN unit as standard, which limits the choice - unless you're prepared to adapt the facia to take a smaller single-DIN unit. You'll probably need wiring adaptors, and possibly a new cage to take the new unit.

But if you can get it working the original CD is player really is a superb unit - as good as anything you'd find as an after-market fitment.

The other option is simply to buy a second-hand unit - there are plenty for sale on Ebay, and that will definitely be a simple plug-and-play. Don't forget these units have 4-digit security codes.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 13:22   #4
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

You can fit a single DIN radio, and fit a blank/ cubbyhole in the second space.
You can get them on eBay, Volvo used to do them as well.

To fit an aftermarket Double DIN you will need to cut down the two guide rails on the side of the centre consul.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 15:47   #5
Richard_TD
Master Member

A single DIN stereo will sit just fine in the dash, even without a cubby underneath, that's how it was in my last Volvo when I got it. Not ideal because it leaves a bottomless hole in the dash but it works. A generic single DIN cubby will fill the gap and can be had for next to nothing.

Volvo to ISO wiring adapters are readily available and you might need to buy a gener changer for the antenna cable.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 15:54   #6
spare

I've been looking at aftermarket double din units but there is too much choice and I can't make my mind up. I've ordered a cassette adapter with 3.5mm input, so I will see what the sound quality is like before I commit. Might be a better solution then burning loads of CD's.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote