Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CLIMATE CONTROL

Views : 744

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 22:27   #1
brianingle

My climate control on my S60 D5 is set to auto. During hot wheather last summer, the fan would run on high speed until the car cooled and would then slow down to a slower speed. Now we are in winter, the fan does not run at high speed unless I switch to manual, even when the engine is warm. I would not expect the fan to run at high speed with a cold engine but I would have thought that as the engine warms up the fan should speed up.

Am I expecting too much or is this normal behaviour. Would like to know at it is due for its first service next month.

Brian Ingle
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 00:25   #2
rawmusic

Brian,

From what I understand:

The fan will work at the speed required to get the cabin temperature to your desired setting. This includes selecting the optimum vents to open and shut to achieve this. If you turn the selector knob to windscreen, the fan will run at full speed to clear the windscreen as fast as possible. If you set the temperature selector to either max or min, then the fan again will work at full speed.

I used to play with the controls constantly, until I read the handbook and a fellow Volvo owner said to simply leave it on AUT and let it do its job. Now I only move the temp setting occasionally, and the windscreen demister.

I hope a) this helps, and b) I have it right!

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:39   #3
andy1

yes you are right richard, the climate control is quite sophisticated and will maintain the selected temp with no input from the driver at all(when in auto),the fan speed will vary according to ambient temp,sunlight strengh sensed etc as it maintains the correct temp, the only time the fan will run at a fixed speed is when demist is selected, full hot, or full cold or the fan select switch is moved to a manual select position, as richard says just leave it switched on all the time and in auto plus every week run it at full cold for ten minutes to lube the seals in the system
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:20   #4
brianingle

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I did not make myself clear.
I leave it on auto all the time. In summer it works fine and gives max fan speed to cool the car down and then slows down when the desired temperature is reached.
In winter, I do not get the max fan speed on auto to warm the car up fast, even when the engine is warm. The speed just increases slightly.

The question I was asking was should the fan go to max speed on auto to warm the car once the engine has warmed up. I believe it should do this and I wanted other peoples experience of this to see if I have a fault or if this is the way its meant to be.

Brian Ingle
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 13:48   #5
sarge
Master Member

Default RE: CLIMATE CONTROL

I'm pretty sure mine does. I wouldn't have thought the engine temperature should alter the fan speed. If the engine was warm I would have thought that it might not need to run the fan on max. for so long, but it will still use it for a bit. I'll check on mine on my way home tonight.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 14:07   #6
andy1

the only time the fan should constantly run at max speed is when you either select max cold, max hot or demist any other time the system will control fan speed to maintain heat selected
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 20:55   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

In summer my car is like yours.
In winter when the temperature gauge gets to about a 1/4 the fan comes on at quite a fast speed. I dont think it is maximum speed though but almost. The fan certainly makes itself known. Then the fan speed drops as it approaches the correct temperature.
Maybe the heater matrix at 1/4 engine temperature isnt hot enough to heat air blowing through it at maximum fan speed?

Simon
BTW my car is a 850 so things may have changed a bit on yours.
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 23:14   #8
doorman

Just one point comes to mind, make sure the sensors are not obstucted or dirty, these are located on the top of the dash.
However, the fan is not going to go at max speed from warm up if the difference between selected temp. and internal temp is only slight. Remenber in summer, those figures could well be extreme.
Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 20:31   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Hi

The higher the temperature setting the faster the fan turns to warm up the car...Thats what i have found, I always use the Auto setting, When its say about 2 degrees i have my temperature set to about 27 deg (i think) so the fan runs a tad quicker, hence warms up quicker!

http://www.creditbusters.biz/Software/Misc/pics/fly.gif

Regards

Bashy
Martin Chadwick
http://www.credit-busters.co.uk/C7TEA_small.jpg http://www.creditbusters.biz/Softwar.../bart-moon.gif
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote