Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M6 Toll Road

Views : 1271

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 16:16   #11
George Holmer

I agree that it is pointless to tax alcohol, fuel and tobacco to stop people from consuming it. It does not work.

As for the Panorama programme, it was very critical of the BBC, and quite rightly so. This Mr Gilligan is clearly a bit of a loose canon.

I agree with the Dutch though, trouble is that whenever there is anything worth watching on Flemish or Dutch TV, it is either an English crime series like Dalziel and Pascoe or some halfdecent Hollywood film.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 17:50   #12
Iank

The problem is that when you have one toll road many others suddenly spring up. In my home country we had only one toll road initially but within 5 years we had several however I must say that every one had an viable alternative route but every year more and more are being added. This will happen in Britain unless it is stopped now!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 21:25   #13
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: M6 Toll Road

Hi Stu,
I fully agree with you . we are taxed to near extinction and the ******** still want more.
In my opinion toll roads will breed like a weeds if this abortion makes a profit.
The waterlogged sections are probably because it has been built across land that has a lot of natural springs on it and at one time there was a lot of wells on it.
I came down the m6 yesterday from Stafford to Brum and out of a group of vehicles of around 40 cars and lorries only 1 car went down it that was visible from this group.
I think that these road will be a first class network while us second class commoners can struggle along the old roads.
If we did boycott it then they would die the death.
Vaughan

vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 22:21   #14
George Holmer

I continue to argue that there is nothing wrong with toll roads. The French and Portugese toll roads are excellent.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 18:28   #15
vjck_uk
Premier member

You say

I cannot see how it can be good to have gas guzzlers that cost noting to refuel. Petrol comes from oil and we must be careful with what we have got left, we have wasted to much already.

Well why do Volvo make modern cars that although are supposedly more effecient and aerodynamic and yet my v40 2.0 litre is only 60% as good on fuel as my 2.3 litre 240,which is shaped like a brick and weighs as much as a bus ?.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 20:30   #16
judgeman

Hi all

I used the M6 toll road over Christmas.

Well worth the two quid.

what is wrong with paying a bit extra for what you use? This time round it may have only saved me 15 minutes compared to the 'free' road, though if the 'free' road had been blocked I am sure my 2 quid would have been even more worth it. The drive was nice and relaxing, not as many middle lane hoggers, the average speed was faster.

It's not like I use the motorways every day, and that all motorways are tolls. Every now and again it doesn't hurt to pay for a privilage.

People moan about the tax they pay. Yeah, it's not good. I'd love to pay no tax. Sorry guys, reality check - tax is a fact of life. Live with it.

Why do people insist on expecting everything on a plate, especially for them, yesterday??? What is wrong with paying for what you use?

People moan about public transport - the government don't invest enough/the cost is too high. I'm not saying public transport is great - far from it - but if you use something, it costs money. If you don't pay full amount directly, you'll pay full amount indirectly. If you expect the government to pay for the infrastructure, then the government only has what it raises through taxes, so you pay anyway.

My point? Quite frankly, I'd rather pay for what I use, when I use it. NOT for something that I don't use - and pay for that up front. Reduce the statutory roadtax, and then pay for what you use, as and when you use it (ie toll roads).

And then for those of you who are not convinced, the more toll roads that run along 'free' roads, and the more people that use the tolls, then the less congested the 'free' roads will become. Mathematical fact. Therefore for those who don't want to pay the toll, then let those who do want it, pay for it, and reap the benefits themselves.

Well, that's off my chest!

Take it easy out there!

Chris

854 T5S '96 129k
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 22:44   #17
Bashy
Aged Member

We do pay for what we use.....Road Tax, Fuel tax an son on! aint that enough?

Regards

Bashy
Martin Chadwick
http://www.credit-busters.co.uk/C7TEA_small.jpg
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 13:12   #18
vjck_uk
Premier member

We do pay for what we use,it's called a tax disc which (hopefully) you have on your windscreen.
If the revenue of all these tax discs were spent on the roads the we would have the roads perfectly smooth ,pothole free and no toll roads.
By saying you don't mind paying this charge then you are condoning that the bunch of tossers in westminster (who are raking in extra taxes from them without putting anything in) are right in allowing them,it's just another way to screw the motorist.
Still I suppose it will give them more money to waste on asylum seekers,wembley,the dome and suchlike.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:44   #19
Curtis

Vick,

I couldnt of put it better my self,

HOWEVER.

Did you know that the new M6 toll is owned by the FRENCH, And with all the problems acuring now then its going to be better for the westminster IDIOTS, for when they take it over in 10 years time.

yes u read that right. In 10 years time the government are going to buy it from the french, and BRITISH TRANSPORT ATHUROTIES, Require the government to Renew/ resurface the road again, or any other major problems, if there is any Every 10 years. BY LAW

Thus meaning, that the government are going to be after more money, taxes, vechile fees to renew the Toll road, depending if they have fund's from the M6 toll and if they have found the funds to pay the french back, currently at £600 billion. for which i cant see this happening, as they owe the americans billions.
For which tony Blair will still sniff, lick , kiss, play with, Bushes ass to get away with. Or just send us back into war again, for no god dam reason.

so either way people if you want to keep paying taxes and enjoy paying taxes, then you use the westminster tw@ts services, i.e M6 TOLL, while the rest of us will sit back and watch you waste your money. fair nuff we will pay taxes, but hey not as much as you.:D

Nigel....
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 00:04   #20
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Don't forget that the French also own the two Severn crossing bridges at £4.50 per car, one way (charge to enter Wales, no charge to leave).

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote