Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are the newer (FWD) Volvos as reliable as the older models?

Views : 2311

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 21:41   #1
johnelliott

Default Are the newer (FWD) Volvos as reliable as the older models?

My J reg 940 turbo estate is getting old and rattles badly (piston slap, it's passed through a period of neglect before I bought it), and eventually I shall have to think about replacing it. Thing is, do the newer, more sophisticated and naturally more complicated Volvos last as long? I realise it's still too early to tell for sure, but does anyone have any thoughts about this?
John
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 22:45   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: Are the newer (FWD) Volvos as reliable as the older models?

Hi John,
They certainly won't last as long body wise and it's highly doubtful that the mechanical side will last as long.
The FWD models are much more complicated and hence lots more to go wrong.
As soon as one of the many idiot lights come on it's a trip to the dealers to get a computer hooked up to find the fault.
I have a 1998 V40 and a 1988 240 and the V40 is nowhere near as well engineered as the 240.
The fuel consumption is far worse and the spares are horrendous for the newer models.
The FWD models are also far,far worse to work on
You could always keep yours and get another engine as there are plenty around and if you couldn't swop it yourself then a local garage wouldn't charge to much to swop it.
I wouldn't take it to a Volvo dealer to do it or you will probably have a heart attack when you get the bill.
I have recently done a 80000 service on mine and the plugs,oil,oil filter,timing belt,fan belt and air filter were over well £100.
The equal parts for the 240 would be around less than half and it would take about 1/4 of the time.
Regards.
Vaughan
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 20:50   #3
andy1

john, i wouldnt have any doubts about the standard of build on the newer models, car bodies now are infinitly better protected than they were a few years ago with far more sophisticated rust proofing protection provided,galvanizing, wax inhibitors in all the cavities etc, is now common place on most models, engines should last 200 k easily with regular oil /filter changes, i cannot speak for other models but the 850/v70 are very easy to work on, routine servicing is a breeze, i would have no hesitation in buying one of these models as along term bet
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:31   #4
Ben O Brien

Hi
i totally agree with vaughan but disagree with andy,
I have and have had both the newer 850s and the older 240s which are mechanically very similar to your 940 and i have to say that the older models are without doubt more reliable,cheaper to run and in my opinion have a much better build quality.although the newer volvos are very well built they are not a patch on the older models.
If you service your car yourself the older ones are far cheaper but even if you dont garages will charge you less for working on them due to cheaper spares and it generally is quicker to do an equal job on an older volvo than a newer one.
My advice would be keep the 940 and invest a few quid in it.if its totally clapped have a look out for a mint one at a decent price.
I could be wrong but i reckon that the newer 940 FWDs are more reliable than the 850s/70s/S80/60/40 but you would have to ask someone else on here like Peter K L milnes or george holmer as i think there 940s are the FWD models.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:55   #5
johnelliott

Hmmm, interesting variety of views expressed so far, thankyou. I must admit to being drawn to the simpler if less sophisticated option of the RWD models. I will probably run my car until something bad happens to the engine (obviously I will keep it correctly serviced), and if nothing bad does happen then I will be OK. If I need to replace the car due to the cost of a replacement engine being prohibitive (anyone know how much a rebuilt unit would cost, 2ltr turbo?) then I will be looking hard for a really nice 960
John
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 13:41   #6
andy1

i dont know what "evidence" the previous two posts were based john on but if you look at the jd powers website you will find some interesting facts which give a different story, the older models are not more reliable than the newer ones so no excuse get yourself a 850/v70 t5 and start enjoying yourself, youll soon wonder why you ever wanted one of those awfull old barges!
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 14:23   #7
Garfield

Well how controversial dare I be ...

A modern car is full of things to go wrong - and I mean full - the Volvo is no exception - because of this the car is really not a DIY freindly item any more. How long it will last is proportionate to the manner in which it is both treated and maintained.

The complexity brings with it a problem - expense - many people want to save money and hence try to DIY, many of those people simply aren't competent to be DIY'ing. You gets what you pay for, you put a car maintained axactly as intended and you should with the exception of component failure have a reliable and long lived car. Cheat and put in cheap oils, use cheap filters, in fact the use of OEM parts is a bad idea anyway unless you can truly be sure of the source or you will pay for it - cheap is rarely best.

Ignore the warnings the car gives you today and simply turn off the light and you are just storing up trouble - you can do a thousand pounds worth of damage in a very short time by ignoring a simple £5 sensor failure (even worse on T5's etc).

You keep it clean and protected using Wax or silicon etc, keep the 'deposits' from building up in the crevices and it will last a long time.

It took me 6 hard years to learn the trade, I then did 10 years in it for Renault and Nissan (I don't work in it anymore by the way) but I know enough to know when to leave well alone. I do simple stuff like brakes etc but once that light comes on it's in the dealers and sorted.

And before I get flamed I know that not all dealers are equal, not all are good, you need to find one whom you trust to get the job done correctly and not try to 'rip' you. I do confess to having a dislike of the 'snobbery' I have encountered in Volvo dealerships though - My last car was a Range Rover, before that an Audi A6 and the dealers for these cars treated me like royalty - charged me like royalty too :-) but they were never 'snobs'.

PS I now run an S40 T4 full Volvo service history and no probs so far and 108000 on the clock ....
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 16:05   #8
Ben O Brien

Hi
i presume you are a mechanic when you say you are in the trade.
andy, if anybody knows what they are talking about it is this guy.(no offence but i dont know your name)
Last two posts that would be yours and mine,you may have no evidence to back up your statements but i do, as people in th know will tell you.
Yet again you never pass up the opportunity to try and succeed in an argument by ridiculing the other person/people and trying to state they are lying.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 18:05   #9
andy1

ben you are making very little sense, all i did was refer to jd powers one of the most respected consumer groups in the world to back up my reasonable point, if you feel ridiculed by that ben you have got some serious problems, incidently what evidence did you post to back up your claim none apart from some waffle about "i do, as people in the know will tell" who are they exactly ben? a bit cryptic that one,(but im sure it makes lots of sense to you) john asked for some opinions i gave mine if you have problem with that, tough.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 18:51   #10
vjck_uk
Premier member

Hi Ben ,
you are spot on right down the page.
Vaughan
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote