Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are the newer (FWD) Volvos as reliable as the older models?

Views : 2321

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 22:15   #21
johnelliott

Default RE: Are the newer (FWD) Volvos as reliable as the older models?

>Hi John,
>Does it use much oil?
Some, yes, bit I've been told it's probably the turbo causing that, certainly there were no emissions problems at the last MOT
>When the top end was done, I presume that the bores condition
>and piston play were closeley looked at.
Probably not, having said that I was in a desperate hurry to get it back
>I would have thought if there were any dodgy areas then they
>would have mentioned them.
>What sort of noise is it and what revs is it worse and is it
>worse or better when hot or cold,or when pulling or revving.
Sounds pretty much like an older generation diesel, quite a metallic noise, worst at idle and lower rpm, noise stops on the over-run, temperature makes no difference, can't here it at all above 70-odd
>Does it smoke?
Not so as I've noticed
>Has it started using more fuel etc.
Haven't checked. It's been rattling like this for about 18 months now
>Put as many symptoms as pos to see if anyone can suggest
>other things.
>Vaughan
Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 22:26   #22
George Holmer

I think looking at my signature is enough to tell you which era Volvo's I prefer and think are better. However, let me make one thing very clear indeed. I DO NOT drive a FWD 940, nor does Peter, nor does anybody as the 940/960 was NEVER available as a FWD, they where very much RWD. 1998 is the year Volvo made the last 940 and V90/S90, i.e. their last RWD car so far.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'80 240 GLT estate (B27E/BW55)
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 22:39   #23
George Holmer

Yes, yours would be a B200FT and the box a AW71L. No 240 engine will fit, a B230FT would fit but make sure it has the LH 2.4 injection system. Why would anyone want an automatic indeed.. I have three autos!

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'80 240 GLT estate (B27E/BW55)
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 22:39   #24
Ben O Brien

Hi
I apologise unreservadly,I assumed the later 940s were FWD,dont know where i got that idea from??
Sorry for any confusion caused as a result

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:59   #25
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

I have owned both RWD and FWD models, 700s and two 850s, one a 1992 and one the last in the line at 1996.

Garfield is absolutely right when he says you get what you pay for in reliability - the car I have now, a 850R, demands luxury fluids and predictive servicing (eg. replace parts just before they fail) to ensure sensible running costs, whereas my earlier 850 was highly reliable AFTER the dealer's and previous owner's neglect was rectified, with the one exception of an undiagnosed "dying away" under part throttle which I now realise could have been a breather hose/throttle body/MAF sensor failure - take your pick, since I sold the car.

Both 700s ran without incident, but this is solely due to meticulous dealer servicing (I had more money then) and lower specification which of course means less to go wrong.

The early FWD cars had a lot of new technology to Volvo fitted and thus had mainly electrical problems, which because of the high degree of electronic control meant that a lot of failures occured that were due to faulty connections rather than mechanical collapse. These would be cheap to fix, but damned annoying to experience and thus prejudice the views of the owners.

Because of the computerisation of the FWD cars, there is no doubt that DIY servicing is easier with the RWD cars - if you do want to keep them running on the cheap, then the RWD choice is a no-brainer.

However you have to get a low spec vehicle to avoid all the "toy" faults that appear with great frequency on the FWD and RWD forums - build quality has improved over the years, but expectations have also increased and base cars are now loaded with extras that are built down to their selling price and thus bring down the overall quality experience.

Which magazine has noted that the current FWD range is apparently more prone to faults than the earlier models - this could be a statistical anomaly in that more owners are reporting, or due to the point above; 40 and now 50 series cars are at the mass-market level not the executive one and thus have a higher bean-counter input into their assembly.

No car will withstand neglect without punishing the owner with the possible exception of a Toyota pickup (see Top Gear) but you also have to factor in the enjoyment of driving and pleasure of ownership; do that and the FWD cars become much more attractive.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:07   #26
andy1

ben i suggest you concentrate for a moment (if you can), re read the posts carefully (dont rush) and you will find i merely stated quite correctly modern body shells are far better constructed and corrosion resistant than they were in the past thats fact not opinion, plus a volvo five pot engine will easily cover 200k with care again fact, and finally servicing is straightforward, again fact you retorted that the old models were far more reliable than the new models which were "not a patch on" the old models, what you based this claim on you havent really made clear apart from some rantings that made little sense that people in the know(whoever they may be)knew this to be the case?? i then pointed out that according to a much respected consumer survey group the older models were in fact no more reliable than the newer ones at which point you took offence and started insulting me,for what? trying to back up a point with some evidence? how awfully arrogant of me!, you really need to get a grip ben if you wish to make claims as you have done, regarding reliabilty of various models you will have to back your case up with something a little more convincing than "people in the know ,know!!" if not dont be suprised and upset if people take you with a sack of salt and finally yes vaughan i have owned an "old" volvo and i have no desire to repeat the experiance, i will stick with my nice modern fast, reliable, safe comfortable t5 thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:51   #27
Ben O Brien

Awww!! poor andy,how distressing for you, a stranger to this approach.
Maybe now you might realise its not particularly pleasant to be insulted when you have conflicting views.
You might, perhaps, adapt a more polite approach to helping other members in future(The whole idea of this forum or have you forgotten)
Then again you cant teach an old dog new tricks.
Yours Sincerely.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 15:01   #28
andy1

hi ben your really struggling now, you have clearly no evidence at all to back up your ridiculous rantings, youve failed to answer any of the points raised, all you can do is waffle on about me not being helpfull, what you really mean is i didnt agree with your half backed opinions and gave john a view you didnt like ie modern volvos are reliable, durable ,and would make a good long term buy(shock horror) sorry ben but if you going to post gibberish you will have to accept people may well disagree with you, however in your case it may well be the best course of action to keep your head well and truly buried in the sand!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 16:22   #29
Ben O Brien

Read my other posts in relation to my opinions and advice on this subject, Dobnt be so self obsessed-the world doesnt revolve around you.

Simon Linton seemed to recommend the 850 as it has a a certain amount of redeeming qualities, did i disagree with him- no - why - because he puts time and effort into putting together structured answersay be of benefit to people not opening their posts with a swipe at the other persons opinions(Re. your second post)

Dont worry andy as long as there are people like you around ill always be here to challenge them so dont worry im not going to take your advice and bury my head in the sand it simply would make life too easy for you.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 17:59   #30
andy1

just keep the "challenges" at your normal standard ben and life will be easy enough !