Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is this acceptable on an ex-demo/nearly new £36k car?

Views : 2764

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2017, 17:20   #1
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Default Is this acceptable on an ex-demo/nearly new £36k car?

Picked up my ex-demo (8.8k miles) V90CC D5 on Tuesday last week.
On Thursday, I noticed the following damage on the front left tyre:-

Whilst I gave the vehicle a quick once-over upon collection, I did not necessarily conduct a detailed inspection given that it was a nearly new Volvo 'Selekt' vehicle.

I immediately flagged it up and sent the pics to the dealer confirming that it was not damage inflicted by myself (there is clear evidence of the valeter's tyre gloss over the damaged area). They promised to get back to me. In the meantime, I took the car to my local dealer for assurance that it is safe to drive on. After a thorough inspection, they confirmed all is safe as the structure of the tyre has not been affected.

Despite having chased the dealer a number of times for feedback/ideally a discussion, all I have received so far on e-mail indirectly from the aftersales manager is that the damage "is deemed cosmetic. The tyre wall has a protective beading and this is designed to take slight wear".

I have spoken to my contact at the dealer and outlined that I am not particularly happy about that response... The damage is rather more than 'slight wear', and certainly beyond acceptable 'fair wear & tear'. I have asked them to consider replacing the tyre to meet my consumer expectations based on the following 2 principles:-

1: The tyre / wheel has clearly taken quite a knock. If, say, the bumper had incurred similar damage, it would undoubtedly have been professionally repaired or replaced.
2: As I have the car on a PCP agreement, there are very clear standards around what is or isn't acceptable wear and tear that I must adhere to before returning. I have no doubt that were that tyre on my car at the end of the agreement and I returned it as is- I would be charged in full for a replacement tyre. Surely I am entitled to expect the same standards upon receipt of the car.

Any thoughts fellow owners? The Aftersales Manager is yet to call me... and I am not holding my breath.[/LIST]
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 17:41   #2
Drivetest

If the vehicle was leased they would have you on it .
Volvo Vehicle return policy is under BVRLA . like most company cars on return section here
Check the tyres (including spare) for damage. Check that the wear on the tread across each tyre is even. Inspect wheels, wheel trims and wheel spokes for scratches and deterioration.
I would be checking the history of this car to make sure it was a demo. Not ex car rental
It is side wall damage and the size is not good either.

Let us know who the dealer is after it is sorted .

Last edited by Drivetest; Dec 6th, 2017 at 17:59.
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drivetest For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 17:57   #3
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Will do- I am giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt for now so they will remain anonymous.
However, there are also a number of other (much more minor) issues that are yet to be fully resolved after 8 days. What had turned out to be a great experience in terms of deal and collection is rapidly turning into incredibly poor after-sales service. Perhaps this sort of thing comes with the territory when buying from a dealer at the other end of the country???

My patience is wearing thin- but there is still (limited) time for them to put this right.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 18:33   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

You have the option to reject the car within 30 days. Put the dealer under notice !
I would also request as well as a tyre replacement (ensuring exactly the same tread) that 4-wheel Hunter wheel alignment is performed and any corrective action carried out at their expense. It is fortunate the rim is not damaged.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Dec 6th, 2017 at 18:37.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 19:35   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Lease agreements I know nothing about never having leased a car, under selekt terms the tyres only have to be legal.
As there are no chord showing and the tread is above legal limit ( possibly 3mm under select now ) the tyre is fit for use.

If you think you will still have the same tyres when you hand it in, get an exemption in writing from the dealer, if they don't play ball return the car.

Having baught a selekt car I can only say I had no problems and think I had a bargain for the money I paid. No it was not perfect, but if you want perfect you have to buy new and hope. I accepted it's a second hand car at the right price and I can overlook the tarnished wheels because new ones will be tarnished and paint bubbling at 12 months old. For the price I paid I don't mind the cost of refurbishing the wheels when I deem their surface unacceptable.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 19:44   #6
kenny
Master Member

I can't zoom in without the picture going blurry but it looks to me there is some cord showing however since you have driven it away and some distance you have little chance in providing it was there even if as you say there is some tyre shine over the damaged area.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 20:09   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'spudmaster', referring to a damaged tyre, asks: 'Is this acceptable on an ex-demo/nearly new £36k car?'. Frankly, in my book, and in a word, NO!

As has been rightly pointed out, tyres on a used car need only to meet the minimum legal requirements. However, if I was spending that sort of money on a car I would expect it to be nigh on perfect.

If, as I did last year, 'spudmaster' was buying a sub £1k V70, then realistically he could not have any such expectation without almost certainly being disappointed.

It is a case of 'horses for courses', and in the circumstances that he describes, 'spudmaster' is right to insist, as both 'Drivetest' and 'NigelDay' advocate, that the tyre be replaced and the alignment checked. I would also be concerned regarding the possibility of suspension damage and ask that that be thoroughly checked as well.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 22:21   #8
Svendahornking

That tyre is dangerous end of. Go back and demand the tyre's replaced.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 22:51   #9
Ryan69
built like a tank.

Let's put it this way, If I was a traffic officer I make you change it It's damaged any damage to a side wall like that going to weaken it badly.
33k on a car with a buggered tyre I would be having it inspected but it's your cash not mine.
Ryan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan69 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 03:59   #10
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Looking at it from the dealer's point of view, you could easily have damaged it yourself, (new car, misjudged width etc), and tried to 'age' it with tyre shine. And if as you say they are many miles away you're not likely to be a repeat customer anyway........

Having said that, they should still replace the tyre, for safety's sake if not for PR.

I suppose the acid test is, if they still refuse, will you replace/have you replaced the tyre yourself, or are you driving the car with this 'unsafe' tyre?

Last edited by Baxlin; Dec 7th, 2017 at 04:04.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post: