Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life in Diesels Yet?

Views : 2960

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2018, 17:44   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
One thing many/all of you has missed and that's energy security...does it matter, do you care ?

Voted leave ? It is a relevant question.
It wouldn't be if we hadn't gone into the EEC in the early 70s, we would still have had North Sea oil and gas so would have been pretty secure.

We also wouldn't have had to bow down to the EU and have 3-way cats on petrols and hype diesels as being the new "green" fuel with engines flying round, first of all belching out clouds of black smoke that cleared to then belch out flowers instead!

I'm referring to tv adverts of the mid 80s for those too young to know.

As i've pointed out several times already, i'm complaining about the damage diesels have already done, not what the emissions are going to in the future or how much less damage they'll do then - it's too late when the damage is already done.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2018, 19:02   #42
xsaab
Master Member

THe greatest contribution to reducing pollution is reducing the number of kids - breed less - an extra human being causes far more pollution than any diesel car.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2018, 20:07   #43
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Ok we're in and have been in the EEEC/EU. Let's look a concern I have had for many years.

1. in the 20 years to 2014 diesel demand increased by 76%, petrol demand during the same period decreased by 46%.

2. In the 2006 the UK became a net importer of diesel, and in 2013 the UK imported nearly 50% of its requirements.

3. There have been a number of refinery closures in recent years - Milford Haven, Teeside and Coryton all closed, and Lindsey's capacity was halved in 2015.

4. All UK refineries are old and built when diesel was a niche fuel. Margins for the energy companies are relatively small and they have no appetite for investing to convert these old refineries to diesel.

I'm sure you get the point I'm making ?

Finally and on a lighter note, I am old enough to remember tv ads of the 1980s, and I don't remember any promoting diesel - diesel cars were very niche in the 1980s.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; May 7th, 2018 at 20:13.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 20:27   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I knew about the refinery closures, i believe Fawley was also a victim or at least threatened. Coryton has been gone a long time, over 10 years to my knowledge, used to be in and out of there a fair bit for various reasons.

I've found one advert very similar to the one i was thinking of, not quite the same but so similar that it's close enough :

https://youtu.be/VwRCBHhyrAA

I'm going to keep looking for the other one, i have seen it on youtube before as well as on tv during the late 80s.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:14   #45
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've found one advert very similar to the one i was thinking of, not quite the same but so similar that it's close enough :

https://youtu.be/VwRCBHhyrAA

I'm going to keep looking for the other one, i have seen it on youtube before as well as on tv during the late 80s.
The ad (above) is from the 2000s - I remember it, find me a diesel ad from the 1980s...doubt there is one.

Jon.
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:51   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There are loads of diesel ads on youtube from the 80s, all model-specific though.

I do remember the other ad which was very similar, other than the backing track. I can't remember if it was Vauxhall or the government in the 80s but the actual video was very similar.

I did find it once on youtube, had no reason to bookmark it so i didn't. It's possible for whatever reason that it has been deleted. It's also possible that because Honda used the same 1.7 diesel Isuzu engine as Vauxhall had used that it was in fact an Isuzu ad used under licence by Vauxhall initially for the Astra Mk3 and Cavalier Mk3, the latter being launched in late 1988 so still in the 80s. Vauxhall had their own diesel engine in addition, derived from the highly successful "Family II" engines but only went to 4psi boost on the TD version of that, it was the Isuzu lump that Vauxhall used for the high pressure turbo unit.

Old May 8th, 2018, 07:57   #47
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

The ad you linked to was Honda's ad to launch the new CDTi engine in the Accord - principally (was more a brand building ad than a product one though, as Honda's ads tend to be). In addition, many of the older youtube ads may very well be cinema rather than tv ads - remember when people went to the cinema ?

Jon.
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:22   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The ad i'm trying to find was definitely a tv ad or i wouldn't have seen it. I know also that i did find it once on youtube - granted it may have been shown in cinemas as well but i only ever saw it on tv.

That said, the video part was very similar, maybe the same