Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is a Volvo C70 still a viable purchase?

Views : 915

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2018, 16:59   #1
CapNemo101

Default Is a Volvo C70 still a viable purchase?

Hi all,
I guess the people here would know better than most if buying a C70 is a good idea. I used to own a SAAB 9-3 convertible (as a few others here have had in the past). I would probably still have one if SAAB still existed. After the SAAB I bought a BMW 1 series convertible and I have stuck with it for a couple of years, but I miss the SAAB and am looking around again. I did look at the C70 a couple of years ago but it seemed expensive compared to other cars around at the time but it looks like they have depreciated a lot over the last couple of years. I see you can still get them with less than 50k on the clock for a reasonable price. Are they still reliable? What's the spares availability like - especially for the roof mechanism should that fail.
I would appreciate any advice given.
Thanks
Charlie
CapNemo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 17:27   #2
zapcity1

Hi Charlie,

If you want sub-50K miles I'm guessing you are after a mkII tin roof version.

Generally, they are very reliable, similar to most other Volvos.

Being heavy, the shocks, springs, suspension, tyres etc. take a battering so need regular maintenance, but engines are as good (or bad) as all other Volvos.

Spares are no problem and willl be suported by Volvo for many more years. Lots of parts in breakers too, as they get written off easily as cost of repair is too high.

Avoid a 2.0D powershift. A D3, D4 late model SE Lux Solstice or Inscription is fully kitted out. T5 is great if you want petrol. Avoid 18" wheels if you value your fillings!

Roof is very reliable, much more so than a mk1. Keep the roof and seals well maintained and use it occasionally in the winter.

I always give the same advice. Only buy if the most important feature is the roof coming off. If you are only going to use it when the weather is 25+ then get a saloon with a sunroof!

Of all my cars, is the most expensive to run and maintain. Yes it is.

There are a lot of comprimises to owning a C70. Rattles, squeaks, handling etc., but when the roof is down you forgive it everything!

Some good threads on here about common issues, but don't forget, most forums are full of problems. Not many people write about the good times!

Last edited by zapcity1; May 1st, 2018 at 17:29.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:05   #3
CapNemo101

Thanks for that (Mr??) ZapCity1,
Yes, most definitely the only reason is the removable roof! My wife and I are both very tall (and slightly wide) people so we simply don't fit in most modern convertibles (with the exception of the large and very expensive German cars). The thing that worried me the most was the spares availability but it would appear my fears where unfounded, definitely looking at a 2012 model (or 2013 if I can find one but they seem to be a bit like hens teeth - guess people are hanging on to them which is also a good sign). We are all year round roof downers and from the reviews the C70 is up there with the best when it comes to keeping the cabin habitable with the roof down during the darker months. Nice to hear from someone who actually owns one.
How does the servicing costs compare to say BMW or Mercedes?
Charlie
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:09   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I'm not sure how they managed it, but the MK2 C70 (when kept clean) is an extremely classy looking car.

It wouldn't look out of place driving through Miami next to Ferrari's etc.

In terms of 'image' they are HUGE bang for your buck, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:18   #5
CapNemo101

our requirements are more space and headroom thing than image but I also think they are a thing of beauty!
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:31   #6
phil1968
Master Member

Still love ours 3 years on, they do have certain bits that go wrong, same as any other car. Buy one with a Volvo engine, avoid the 2.0D 4 cylinder (which isn't a Volvo engine) as it's gutless in this car. I bought one as it's a left field choice compared to the predictable Mercedes, Audi & BMW. All parts are still available as far as I know, servicing at dealers isn't cheap, find yourself a good independent for this age of vehicle.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:54   #7
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I'm not sure how they managed it, but the MK2 C70 (when kept clean) is an extremely classy looking car.

It wouldn't look out of place driving through Miami next to Ferrari's etc.

In terms of 'image' they are HUGE bang for your buck, if you're into that sort of thing.
I think this applies even more to mk1, stunning and classless in the good way only an older Volvo can be.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:20   #8
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

I'm on my second one of these now! I'd echo all previous advice given here.

I'd also add that from my experiences with the first one - a 2008 D5 manual - it works a lot better as an automatic, and that the later D3/D4 diesel is rather more refined. You'll also struggle to find a late T5 if you want petrol. That said, the 5-speed auto box on the 2009 and earlier models was not particularly good, it was also somewhat inefficient and the D5 engine was torque-limited on auto models to avoid breaking it. You really want the six-speed auto fitted to the 2010-onwards facelift models. You may also see a D5 or 2.4i auto in an early 2010 facelift car, these engines (along with the 2.0D) were discontinued shortly afterwards, so I don't know if they ever put the 6-speed auto on them.

The specifications for each trim level were reduced at the facelift, so the SE is still a bit basic (but better than the ES). SE Lux or better still Solstice special edition get more of the toys, although with the Solstice you'd have to find 17" wheels separately if you wanted them, as they were only specced with 18". As mentioned, the ride is better on 17", although it's not unbearable on 18".

With any trim level, for year-round usage, get one with the optional wind-deflector or source one separately second-hand - they sometimes pop up for sale in the C30/S40/V50/C70 section on this forum. (There are also non-OEM deflectors on eBay which don't have the zips to allow access to put luggage in the rear seat). The optional Tempa space-saver spare in its bag (with tools) is also a better fall-back than the standard spec compressor and tyre goo.

Any more questions, please don't hesitate to post up

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 22:21   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

My wife drives a 2005 Mk 1 C70 2.0T automatic and she loves it but wants all of the bells and whistles that can be had on facelifted Mk 2s such as the D3 and D4 Solstice.

What isn't clear at this point is whether or not she should get a D3 auto or a D4 auto.

The D3 is more widely available but the D4 has a bit more power.

One question is whether, for instance, the D3 performs better than, worse than or roughly the same as her petrol 2.0T.

Another question is whether or not the on-paper differences between the D3 and D4 translate into a noticeable difference when driving the car.

Can anyone offer any views?

Many thanks in advance.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 23:17   #10
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I love mine, even though I was 'forced' into buying it as it was the only full four seater folding hardtop I could find, all the others have a very compromised rear seat.