Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loading a kayak

Views : 880

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2018, 15:02   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default Loading a kayak

So I purchased a 2 person kayak and thought I would go all out on an expedition one and very durable ... little did I know, that these things are incredibly heavy!!!!

Used once so far after loading it I have given up hope even trying to attempt and do it myself. So my question is, how to people load theirs? are there any assists people use that might make doing it on your own easier or atleast possible?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 15:57   #2
green van man
Premier Member

A workmate baught an inflatable one because of this problem. He recons the 10 min or so it takes to inflate and deflate are worth it to be able to fit it in the boot.

Not any help to you and the only advise I can give from experience of loading heavy items on to roof rack / bars is do one end at a time. So lift front and slide onto bars, canoe at an angle to car, lift rear and slide canoe across roof as you pivot the back end onto second bar. Slide front to align canoe with car and tie down. Removal being the reverse of fitting.

Hope that of some use.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 16:26   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

My BiL has one. He is a strong blighter so he picks it up himself. I had to load it once and got someone else to help, one at each end. It was going on a smallish car, Fabia Estate, so it was quite easy to lift and put it on the roof bars. Harder if the car was long I suspect. GVM's description of how to do it probably best to follow.

I would not consider doing it alone. It is heavy and awkward, a good combination for either back damage or a scrape on your car.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 17:24   #4
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Up sh@@ creek?

Evening Dom, Thinking back I seem to remember seeing something made to lift loads onto roof racks, quite a few years back, could have been in a cycling mag.? maybe for lifting tandems? If I remember correctly,the idea was to fold the gadget down the side of the car,load and secure and then back up onto main roof rack. Have you tried looking for canoeing dedicated mags and forums? I would imagine you are not alone with that problem. Apart from getting it onto the roof sounds like an excellent idea to me, traveling by water and rough/wild camping along the way?
As I am a fully paid up member of the village idiots union, I must ask,you did empty the water out first??

Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 17:39   #5
1monkey600

Thule make extending roofracks that pull out sideways and drop down by the side of the car, if you want to spend north of £500, that is. (35 kg limit but assists by providing 18kg of lift)

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/sport...r-pro-_-898000

Personally, particularly if your car has roofrails, I would look at buying a third cross bar, fix some kind of roller and upstands to it, and then fit it right at the back of the rails. You then lift up one end of the kayak onto the roller, grab other end and push the kayak through onto the usual two roofbars.

Last edited by 1monkey600; May 2nd, 2018 at 17:44. Reason: Changed link to UK website
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 17:58   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I use a set of 4 Thule 847 mounts. They also do an easy glide mount that allows the kayak to slide but on my roof bars it ends up at the wrong angle.
So i use 4 x 847's
on the rear pair i put a piece of the Polyprop carpet(like hippo mat)
This allows the kayak to slide on at the rear.
I made a "cushion" that sits on the roof behind the rear roof bar. and again covered with the hippo mat. This raises the level and protects the roof.
My kayak is pulled to the car on a pair of wheels.
like these
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...25366107553633

I just wheel the kayak along the side of my car, lift the bow up onto the "cushion"on the rear roof. Remove the wheels.
The kayak just rests there.
Then go round the stern and easily lift and slide the kayak forward into the supports. the carpet on the rear mounts allow the kayak to slide easily.

My kayak is quite heavy but I find it easy and safe to load and offload on my own.
Then 2 webbing straps over the top to hold it there.

3 of us out in Plymouth

Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 17.55.58.jpg (81.4 KB, 15 views)
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 18:34   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Load like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPKIdVZLBH8
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 19:01   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
My mate uses those guides on suckers. They are OK but aren't that firm with a heavy kayak. He has struggled a few times with them and once they twisted enough for the kayak to scratch the car. Just to be sure we tend to load his with 2 people. With mine it is very stable and safe with no issues with any damage,
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:17   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

thanks for that guys, yes its incredibly heavy without water. I managed to pick it up myself and being a man of fitness I relished the challange but after about a 10 second walk with it I quickly realised this was a really silly idea.

But yes I do have a kayak trolley for it now to run along the beach.

Thank you for all those link! that thule one looked incredible but bit out of my price range. I will keep on looking around at loaders, I saw something like this which might be useful

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUK-Sport...kAAOSwPPpaOb~-

I have the kayak stand that stands the thing on its side.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2018, 20:48   #10
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I used to love canoeing, had two sea canoes, both built by my dad. I doubt i would even fit in one these days😢
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote