Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locking wheel nut help ?

Views : 1615

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2018, 17:16   #11
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Probably done already, is it worth another search of all the storage and seat pockets in the car. My locker was in the pocket on the back of the drivers seat, took ages to find it
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 17:17   #12
ELIMINATOR GUY

Lockable wheel nuts (kit of four + key)
Part Number: 31439228
Chromed

If a lockable nut cannot be loosened for some reason it has to be cut apart. Due to the nut's high safety level this is the only recommended service solution. Spare wrench cannot be ordered, instead the recommendation is a new kit with lockable nuts if the customer has lost their wrench. Lockable wheel nuts, specially developed for Volvo Cars, which gives improved safety. The lock pattern is located against the middle on the lockable nuts and is therefore difficult to reach with a screwdriver, for example. The top of the lockable nut rotates and is therefore very difficult to loosen without the right wrench. A solid connection between wrench and nut facilitates installation and removal, and in principle eliminates the risk of crooked tighten, which results in a damaged wrench. The steel nuts are galvanized and have very good corrosion protection. Together with plastic caps, they provide an attractive appearance that matches the rim. The design is similar to a standard nut but sufficiently different to deter potential thieves. Technical Data

Lockable wheel nuts
Material: Steel
Colour: Galvanized
Accessory weight: 0.52 kg (1.1 lbs)
Wheel nuts
Material: Steel
Colour: Galvanized
Accessory weight: 1.0 kg (2.2 lbs)
Plastic caps for Wheel nuts/Lockable wheel nuts
Material: Plastic
Colour: Tech Grey matt
SilverChromed
Advantages
Secure theft protection that makes it much more difficult to open the nut without a wrench.
The design makes for easy installation and removal.
Effective rust protection.
Good-looking design resembling a standard nut.
Weight-optimized to avoid imbalance.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 09:43   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Well, good luck with sorting it out, fingers crossed.
On the sidenote, I can recommend a decent alternative to Volvo Oem lockable nuts - those costed me 30GBP as oppose to McGard ones (80e from dealership, couldnt find them elsewhere back then) and from reading opinion on that brand it is the only one positioned beside McGard as for quality and reputation. That is if you are still looking for lockable ones.
No harm checking your volvo dealer aswell as Clan said, see what they have to offer.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 11:29   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR GUY View Post
Apparently, these are the latest volvo security wheel nuts and replacement keys and not available, not even from Volvo as they do not know who the manufacturer is.

So lots of people are going to have trouble with used cars in the future as Volvo main dealers are supposed to have a master key for removing, them (Unless your near Warrington, as they don't have one)
I explained the situation above it is an easy procedure to get them off , yes you have the latest Italian locking nuts as I described above .
Any dealer can get the master key set as I said above , I guess you did read what I wrote ?
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 12:10   #15
960kg
Premier Member

Not an answer to solving the thread BUT why do manufacturers fit locking wheels nuts in this day and age of Alarms that have a tilt mechanism and will go off if the car is jacked up to get the wheels off? .....

Even my old long gone 1997 V70 T5 had the tilt mechanism!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 15:01   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Not an answer to solving the thread BUT why do manufacturers fit locking wheels nuts in this day and age of Alarms that have a tilt mechanism and will go off if the car is jacked up to get the wheels off? .....

Even my old long gone 1997 V70 T5 had the tilt mechanism!
because it will cost around £5000 to replace a set of wheels and tyres on an xc90 for example ! As you know , nobody takes any notice of a siren these days … no doubt it is part of the Thatcham insurance rating too ,
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 20:01   #17
ELIMINATOR GUY

Hi Clan, I did read your post yesterday, I also contacted Volvo again.
It turns out that for these Italian locking nuts, they are from the company I said "Evo Automotive" in Milton Keynes, but they will only deal with trade and not public.
It also turns out that ALL Volvo main dealers are issued with their own "Master key" and if lost or damaged there parts department can order a replacement free of charge from "Evo Automotive" ( But still not for public use, for security reasons)

So I asked my local Volvo main dealer how much for a new set with a key, and how much just to undo the 4 nuts on my car now ( about 4 mins work )

They said £57.00 for the new nut set with key, and an additional £128 to unscrew 1 nut from each wheel (with the key they got for free.)

I told them to stick it up there ****.

I am getting them drilled out, outside my house Monday afternoon for £15 per wheel, then I am buying a set of volvo nuts for £3.00 each,

Robbing T**t's
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 20:25   #18
dingov70
Master Member

I have used Irwin nut removers with great success , even on security nuts with spinning top parts

http://www.irwin.co.uk/tools/screw-d...olt-extractors shows what I have used
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 21:10   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR GUY View Post
Hi Clan, I did read your post yesterday, I also contacted Volvo again.
It turns out that for these Italian locking nuts, they are from the company I said "Evo Automotive" in Milton Keynes, but they will only deal with trade and not public.
It also turns out that ALL Volvo main dealers are issued with their own "Master key" and if lost or damaged there parts department can order a replacement free of charge from "Evo Automotive" ( But still not for public use, for security reasons)

So I asked my local Volvo main dealer how much for a new set with a key, and how much just to undo the 4 nuts on my car now ( about 4 mins work )

They said £57.00 for the new nut set with key, and an additional £128 to unscrew 1 nut from each wheel (with the key they got for free.)

I told them to stick it up there ****.

I am getting them drilled out, outside my house Monday afternoon for £15 per wheel, then I am buying a set of volvo nuts for £3.00 each,

Robbing T**t's
That really is bad service to you , and it is not true that each dealer has a master set it is not allowed for security reasons , volvo has to borrow the kit from their HQ each time they need it . so there is a record of who used it and when …

Good luck with the drilling it will not be an easy job , that is a last resort really , pity when you can get a key ...
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 18:08   #20
chrisfr

Looks like volvo and the wheel nut company have got most of us by the nuts. They are not doing them selves any favours with customer loyalty. Sorry you had to endure so much cr ap from them and I hope you resolve it quickly. Best wishes.