Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres for my T4, Dunlop or Goodyear?

Views : 3825

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 20:05   #1
Marc V40

Default New tyres for my T4, Dunlop or Goodyear?

Hi all

I'm looking to get a set of 4 tyres for my new 17" Arcadias, the size is 215 45 W 17's and they will go on my stock 2001 V40 T4 SE, My budget is around £400 so there are plenty of tyres to choose from.

So far i have come down to two tyres and have the choice between Dunlop sport maxx rt's or Goodyear eagle f1's.

The the F1's are very highly rated (a friend has an Evo and says they grip like hell) and would have been my first choice but the Dunlops are £15 a tyre cheaper and also rate higher for fuel economy as they are a C instead of E with the F1's, both the tyres have an A rating for wet braking I think.

Any experiance with these tyres on a torquey front wheel drive Volvo turbo would be greatly apriciated.

Also it would appear they are both going to be XL or 91 load ratings, The V40 only came with 87 Load rated tyres as standard I think. From what I have read they will have stiffer side walls than the 87's. Any Ideas if this will have an adverse affect on the drive other than firming it up?

Any thoughts or experiance on either subject would be greatly apriciated.

Kind regards

Marc

2001 V40 T4 SE
Marc V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 20:14   #2
850Chris
Premier Member

The Goodyear's came 1st in a recent (comprehensive) performance tyre test from 'Evo' Magazine which included the Dunlops and several other brands such as Pirelli etc... Goodyear scored high on 'subjective' handling (i.e. how it makes the car feel to drive) which, ultimately, is what matters to petrol heads like us.

See

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...tyre_test.html

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 20:59   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I plan on getting the Dunlop's for my D5 next time I need tyres. Would like to say its "buying British" but the tyres are made in Germany AFAIK.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 22:30   #4
GP1

Both tyres are so equally matched I doubt you would notice any difference between them.

Goodyears will last longer and provide more of a comfort ride whereas the Dunlop will provide a better balanced tyre with more grip and feel of the road due to its very slight softer compound and firmer walls.

Dunlop are the more sporty tyre of the Goodyear Dunlop group..
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 23:26   #5
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Both tyres are so equally matched I doubt you would notice any difference between them.

Goodyears will last longer and provide more of a comfort ride whereas the Dunlop will provide a better balanced tyre with more grip and feel of the road due to its very slight softer compound and firmer walls.

Dunlop are the more sporty tyre of the Goodyear Dunlop group..
Has anyone actually read the link to Evo Mag tyre test I posted up which concludes the complete opposite of this? Loads of feel from the Goodyear (which wins test) and bugger all from the Dunlop which comes in near bottom.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 21:14   #6
GP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
Has anyone actually read the link to Evo Mag tyre test I posted up which concludes the complete opposite of this? Loads of feel from the Goodyear (which wins test) and bugger all from the Dunlop which comes in near bottom.
Yes i read it, but having read other tyre test results I've seen the results not quite in that order, but that happens with every report.

As the ASY2 has a broken center block and softer walls compared the RT I bet Goodyear Dunlop are wondering how Evo they came by that result.

Both excellent tyres and I doubt anyone would really notice any difference between the two..

Last edited by GP1; Oct 29th, 2013 at 21:17. Reason: because I can
GP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 22:50   #7
v6en
Master Member

Got Eagle F1s on my T4. Probably the best ones I have tried and plan to use them again when the time comes.

Jacqueline
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 09:33   #8
DionBullock
Volvo Nut

I had some Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my V70 T5 before selling her and can honestly say they were really grippy in the wet and dry! But the MPG's did suffer slightly! Road noise as no better or worse than they cheapy tyres i had on before! Wear was excellent for a nose heavy FWD 250+bhp car though! I've had some cheaper make of tyres and you'd swear they were made out of chocolate!!

Not had any experience with dunlops or goodyear tbh
DionBullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:56   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Neither. Toyo T1R's for me.

I ran Eagle F1's on my T4 for 2 years and whilst they were a great tyre, they didnt last very long (9k miles for me on all 4). Switched to Toyo T1R's which were cheaper, just as grippy and they have lasted twice as long as the Eagles.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 17:20   #10
malteser
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Neither. Toyo T1R's for me.

I ran Eagle F1's on my T4 for 2 years and whilst they were a great tyre, they didnt last very long (9k miles for me on all 4). Switched to Toyo T1R's which were cheaper, just as grippy and they have lasted twice as long as the Eagles.
Same as me Toyo T1R's all the way
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote