Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Goodbye Every Old Landy' in Wales ...

Views : 733

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2018, 15:21   #1
julianps
Master Member

Cool Goodbye Every Old Landy' in Wales ...

... or maybe not?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...esel-cars-fail
Quote:
Dan Powell, editor of car website HonestJohn.co.uk, says the crackdown on DPF removals is long overdue. “MOT testers have told us that the old visual inspection was unfit for purpose as it made it near impossible to identify tampering or removal. This gave a free pass to owners who were willing to put lives at risk to save a few hundred pounds on their maintenance bills by having the DPF removed.”
But, it appears, if you have a tame-tester (or, as around here, and uncle, cousin or brother with a testers certificate);
Quote:
“Rather than MOT failures being black and white, the new system creates the potential for confusion as testers will have to make a judgment on whether faults are dangerous, major or minor. This will surely be open to interpretation, which may lead to greater inconsistency from one test centre to another,” says RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
So, how will you fare after May 20th?

Mine's a 2017MY and apart from lamp-washer's I suspect I'm good-to-go, but who knows any more?
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:01   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Old landies never had dpf filters Julian. They didn't even have turbos until the 19j engine. Some of the later 300 TDI had ERG valves and anything later than a td5 is not a real landrover anyway and certainly not an old one.

My 24 year old 300 TDI passes the emition fast test, has no dpf or erg and I see no reason for it not to continue to do so. As an incomer to the area I have no family to fiddle the results nor ever have. Once the new chassis is fitted I can even forget about welding for a few years.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 21:09   #3
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Old landies never had dpf filters Julian. They didn't even have turbos until the 19j engine. Some of the later 300 TDI had ERG valves and anything later than a td5 is not a real landrover anyway and certainly not an old one.

My 24 year old 300 TDI passes the emition fast test, has no dpf or erg and I see no reason for it not to continue to do so. As an incomer to the area I have no family to fiddle the results nor ever have. Once the new chassis is fitted I can even forget about welding for a few years.

Paul.
Good points Paul, and covered in the linked-to article (I accept I was peddling FAKE NEWS ...;-)

That apart, I wasn't aware such draconian changes were afoot this year; I'll need to buy an XC40 3cyl petrol (or better, a next-gen' V40 petrol) on renewal.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julianps For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 22:29   #4
HDAV
Master Member

Or buy a proper old Landy and no MOT at all.........
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 07:40   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Having looked at the proposed changes I do not really see anything to worry about if the car is maintained as it should be.

New regulations are not retrospective and the changes in standards again should be covered by maintenance. For instance, IF the car is fitted with a dpf there should be no visible smoke, well if all is as it should be there will not be, if there is, something is wrong and should be fixed. No car that came out of the factory without a dpf will have to fit one.

I accept that I may not be able to take my landrover into some cities or have to pay heavily for the privilege due to their low emition zones, that is their loss as I shall not visit if possible and if I have to visit I shall find a park and ride.

Paul
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:10   #6
tofufi
Premier Member

The changes really aren't draconian at all, in my book.

Any car that has a DPF and is well maintained will walk the MOT style test. It's only looking for cars which have been deliberately modified to worsen their emissions. And the requirements aren't applied retrospectively or to vehicles that aren't able to pass (i.e. cars without DPFs).

The changes to the wording (minor fail/major fail) are just re-naming of advisories/failures. And testers have always been able to declare a failure point dangerous.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 20:16   #7
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

I accept that I may not be able to take my landrover into some cities or have to pay heavily for the privilege due to their low emition zones, that is their loss as I shall not visit if possible and if I have to visit I shall find a park and ride.

Paul
And that is what they want you to do
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 18:22   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Dan Powell, editor of car website HonestJohn.co.uk, says the crackdown on DPF removals is long overdue. “MOT testers have told us that the old visual inspection was unfit for purpose as it made it near impossible to identify tampering or removal. This gave a free pass to owners who were willing to put lives at risk to save a few hundred pounds on their maintenance bills by having the DPF removed

What scares me is that someone like this chap could be involved in MOT criteria! Clearly has no idea how the DPF works. Collecting some of teh harmful stuff that comes out of a diesel engine while in town to then dump it out on teh open road. So yes taking it off is going to kill

But I have to fully agree with

"He added that another important update was the banning of aftermarket high intensity discharge headlights, which often blind drivers going the other way as they are poorly installed."

I just wish they could do something with all these modern cars that have these horrible lights factory fitted
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 00:33   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Factory fitted, maintained and properly used HID lights are no worse than any other, the problems come when some yahoo wanders into his local Halfords grabs a set of bulbs off the shelf and tries with much grunting and liberal use of the words "****ing ****ers don't fit proper) to force them into units into which they have no right to occupy.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 05:40   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Collecting some of teh harmful stuff that comes out of a diesel engine while in town to then dump it out on teh open road. So yes taking it off is going to kill
That's NOT how a DPF works

A DPF captures the harmful particles generated through burning of diesel, and then periodically the vehicle burns of the harmful particles, producing much less harmful ash.

What it "captures in town" and then "dumps on the open road" is not the same stuff.

It captures the really bad stuff and produces much better stuff that doesn't kill you nowhere near as fast as the bad stuff would.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: