Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indicators not flashing when locking car.

Views : 821

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 22:34   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Indicators not flashing when locking car.

Hi all, I have noticed that when I lock the car the indicators don't flash, although they flash twice when I unlock it, I attempted to show my dad the problem and as sods law dictates, it worked normally every time and flashed as it always did, but now I'm home again it doesn't, am I right to assume this means that the alarm isn't armed?

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 22:41   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Open the bonnet, and push down the bonnet microswitch on the bonnet switch. You should hear it clicking. When it does so, keep holding it down and with your other hand, try locking the car. Most probably the lights will flash. If that is the case, then that is where your problem is

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 17:00   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Thanks Gatos, I can confirm that it's bonnet switch related, because if I push on the bonnet and lock it the alarm arms, then after about 2 minutes I'm hunting round the living room trying to find the source of what I presume to be one of my three and a half year olds toys playing some kind of tune, only to discover that in fact the alarm is going off on the t4 and about 3 sets of neighbours are looking out of their windows at the car, next doors dog was also going nuts, whoops haha.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 16:21   #4
villar4sotrondio

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Hi all, I have noticed that when I lock the car the indicators don't flash, although they flash twice when I unlock it, I attempted to show my dad the problem and as sods law dictates, it worked normally every time and flashed as it always did, but now I'm home again it doesn't, am I right to assume this means that the alarm isn't armed?

Many thanks in advance
I've noticed exactly the same some time ago on my financially very demanding Genevieve (2000 S40 1.8 XS Auto).

Is that micro switch a separate part from the bonnet's lock or do you have to replace the whole unit?

Regards,

Fernandez
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:38   #5
gatos
Premier Member

there are two tiny holes on the bonnet mechanism. The sensor has two little prongs that slot in there and stay secured. The wiring of the sensor runs at the top of the radiator and towards the passengers headlight. The connector can be seen just between the headlight and the radiator. Will take a photo of the switch and its wiring on the car and when it is out of the car and post it tomorrow

Nullius in Verba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:33   #6
villar4sotrondio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
there are two tiny holes on the bonnet mechanism. The sensor has two little prongs that slot in there and stay secured. The wiring of the sensor runs at the top of the radiator and towards the passengers headlight. The connector can be seen just between the headlight and the radiator. Will take a photo of the switch and its wiring on the car and when it is out of the car and post it tomorrow
What a gentleman you are Gatos.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 10:54   #7
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Well that was the easiest fix ever, the arm (for want of a better word) that connects with the bonnet on closing and pushes against the microswitch to close it was worn so it wasn't quite pushing down far enough, so I just pulled the end so it rested against the tiny plastic stop and bent it back so it now bends slightly back the other way, thus pushing further over with the bonnet closed, it's been about half an hour and the alarm hasn't gone off yet so I'm calling this one a victory.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 21:42   #8
gatos
Premier Member

A bit late, but here you go

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-04-15 13.01.43.jpg (156.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-15 13.11.00.jpg (73.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-15 13.11.07.jpg (128.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-15 21.39.10.jpg (51.9 KB, 68 views)

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:30   #9
Toxicbacon

i've jsut discovered the same thing happening on my 03 v40, however my switch has only one pronge and the bonnet catch only has one little hole and it doesn't quite sit securely meaning it never switches. atm I've bypassed the switch with a paperclip until I can find a solution. I tried taping switch but due to the heat it came unstuck and set off the very chirpy and musical alarm.
Toxicbacon is offline   Reply With Quote