Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Phase1 T4 EMS2000 update!

Views : 499

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 20:51   #1
Longbowt4

Exclamation Phase1 T4 EMS2000 update!

Hi all!

I have a Volvo S40 T4 made in 1997. Such a great car but obviously also hesitates and misfires sometimes!

I replaced all the common components (fuel pump, coils, maf, tcv, spark plugs, cam&crank sensors, lambda, and other various bits) and it still won't drive properly. All pricey OEM Volvo!

The funny thing is that it behaves perfect for a day or two after a new component is installed - like the spark plugs. Then it comes back to normal. When it undergoes it's learning cycle(the ECU) it comes back to the old habbits!

It won't accelerate properly till 4000rpm. Then it flies. But 80% of the everyday driving is below that threshold. Under 4000rpm it feels like the ignition timing is not correct - not like misfire but not full power.

I know that I am not alone in this boat - others had been too:
1.example
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123823
Solution: Standalone engine management system.

2.example
https://volvo40forum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15019

As they say I would need a siemens v1.3 ecu for it to work properly, mine is v1.1

3.example
From this thread I got the info that the ECU is the most probable culprit:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8585

Quote:
KevinP
Oct 14th, 2002, 17:32
Just thought I'd add my two penneth for what it's worth!

Many early T4s had less than efficient ignition/fuel mapping. Volvo recognised this (due to many complaints I guess) and introduced upgraded mapping (a 'flash' upgrade to the ECU). This was often carried out free of charge during servicing. The last version of the upgrade was released in mid 99, the Volvo 'Claim' reference being P2862 with the description of 'Poor driveability'. If you contact a friendly Volvo dealer and quote your chassis no they'll be able to tell you if you had this upgrade - don't believe them if they say they can't because I'm looking at a printout as I speak... Regards.
Kevin ...
I want to keep it stock, so I wonder if the dealers still update this ECUs?
If not, remapping probably won't help?

If I find an "updated" ecu, what else would I need for it to work in my car? The dealer can still recode the immobolizer?

Anyone around with an updated Ph1 ecu?

Last edited by Longbowt4; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 20:54. Reason: changed tiitle
Longbowt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 20:53   #2
Longbowt4

Default move thread

Can a moderator move the thread in the general section of the forum? I somehow managed to post it in the sales.
Longbowt4 is offline   Reply With Quote