Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 xc90 passanger headlight not working

Views : 565

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 04:48   #1
Perrin

Default 2006 xc90 passanger headlight not working

Hello y'all. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out. I have an 06 xc90 with halogen headlights. I put aftermarket hid light from DDM for my low beams. They have worked great for about a year once I got the right kit. (so it would turn off the warning light). For the past month or so the passanger side was having a hard time starting the buld if I just turned the key and started the car. So I was putting the key to run waiting a few to let the light warm up and then start the car. Well it finally stopped. Thinking it was just a bad bulb I replaced it with a regular halogen so I wouldn't get a ticket. But the halogen won't light up either. I checked the #16 and #17 fuses under the hood but they are fine. I'm also getting power on both sides of the fuses. Checked power at the outlet to the light and I get nothing. Had my wife turn the car off and on while I'm holding the meter on the plug and still nothing. Checked continuity to ground from the plug to the fender ground. Got 0.2Ω. I've looked at all fuse locations and haven't found a bad fuse or anything that says it controls the low beam other than under the hood and both sides are fine. The driver's side works fine. Only the passanger doesn't work. Hoping y'all can point me in the right direction on where to check next. Thanks in advance.
Perrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 05:33   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If you are in the UK then here is the right direction for you:

Your HID kit is not allowed, and will be an MOT fail from May 2018.
Reason: HIDs needs headlamp washers and the entire headlamp assembly needs the proper lenses and to be type approved for use with your vehicle.

No washers and no type approval is an MOT fail.

You will need to remove it and reinstate the standard headlights that came with your car to keep your vehicle road legal.

If you are not in the UK then refer to the local rules for your local country
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 13:01   #3
Perrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
If you are in the UK then here is the right direction for you:

Your HID kit is not allowed, and will be an MOT fail from May 2018.
Reason: HIDs needs headlamp washers and the entire headlamp assembly needs the proper lenses and to be type approved for use with your vehicle.

No washers and no type approval is an MOT fail.

You will need to remove it and reinstate the standard headlights that came with your car to keep your vehicle road legal.

If you are not in the UK then refer to the local rules for your local country
I'm in the USA. We don't have the same rules. But either way. I put a standard bulb back in and it still doesn't work. I'm not getting any power to the plug. That's what I need help with. Thanks though. I appreciate your feedback.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 14:11   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
I'm in the USA. We don't have the same rules. But either way. I put a standard bulb back in and it still doesn't work. I'm not getting any power to the plug. That's what I need help with. Thanks though. I appreciate your feedback.
No power?
Check fuse, relay, wiring
In that order

The headlamps are switched via Relays on the CEM, which may be where your problem lies
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 15:51   #5
Perrin

Quote:
No power?
Check fuse, relay, wiring
In that order

The headlamps are switched via Relays on the CEM, which may be where your problem lies
The fuses are good and I have power at the fuses but at the light I do not. I thought I read that on my 2006 xc90 that the CEM doesn't have relays on it like the older CEMs did. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll check the wiring when I get home from work.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 17:00   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
The fuses are good and I have power at the fuses but at the light I do not. I thought I read that on my 2006 xc90 that the CEM doesn't have relays on it like the older CEMs did. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll check the wiring when I get home from work.
Ah USA, different to Euro.
Check the wiring diagram...
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 03:24   #7
Perrin

Quote:
Ah USA, different to Euro.
Check the wiring diagram...
Thanks but I don't really understand what I'm looking at. I work on air conditioners for work and I get those wiring diagrams no problem. But this is alien to me. If someone could explain it to me maybe. I'd really appreciate it.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 05:30   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

It is very simple

The power comes from the battery to the CEM via following fuses to the CEM:
F16 (20A) low beam, left
F17 (20A) low beam, right
Inside the CEM the headlights are switched switched using relays (I think) mounted inside the CEM. The CEM also uses PWM to control the maximum voltage on the bulbs, to extend their lifespan.
A wire goes from the CEM plug direct to the headlamp connector, without any connectors inbetween
The headlamp is a simple halogen bulb
The headlamp is connected to a common ground (common for all bulbs in the headlamp)

If you have power at the fuse (measure always when headlamps are on in low beam, measure both sides of the fuse) then you need to check:
1. power coming in to the CEM on connector B:2 (right) and B:3 (left)
2. power coming out of the CEM on B:4 (right) and B:5 (left)
If no power coming out of the CEM, then the relay fitted inside the CEM has burnt contacts and needs to be replaced.

On facelift modes (MY2007 and above) the relay is soldered to the board
You can bypass the relay with another relay as a temporary fix until you find the exact correct relay to fit to the circuit board. Electronics soldering skills required

You may be lucky and have a plug-in relay....

And always ensure fuse and contacts are clean and try. If you see any sign of corrosion then suspect bad contact due to corrosion.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 21:39   #9
Perrin

Quote:
It is very simple

The power comes from the battery to the CEM via following fuses to the CEM:
F16 (20A) low beam, left
F17 (20A) low beam, right
Inside the CEM the headlights are switched switched using relays (I think) mounted inside the CEM. The CEM also uses PWM to control the maximum voltage on the bulbs, to extend their lifespan.
A wire goes from the CEM plug direct to the headlamp connector, without any connectors inbetween
The headlamp is a simple halogen bulb
The headlamp is connected to a common ground (common for all bulbs in the headlamp)

If you have power at the fuse (measure always when headlamps are on in low beam, measure both sides of the fuse) then you need to check:
1. power coming in to the CEM on connector B:2 (right) and B:3 (left)
2. power coming out of the CEM on B:4 (right) and B:5 (left)
If no power coming out of the CEM, then the relay fitted inside the CEM has burnt contacts and needs to be replaced.

On facelift modes (MY2007 and above) the relay is soldered to the board
You can bypass the relay with another relay as a temporary fix until you find the exact correct relay to fit to the circuit board. Electronics soldering skills required

You may be lucky and have a plug-in relay....

And always ensure fuse and contacts are clean and try. If you see any sign of corrosion then suspect bad contact due to corrosion.
Wow this is great info. Thank you very much. Okay so I think last question. There are like 4 or 5 connectors on the cem. Which one is the B connector.