Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would you sell your car to this man ?

Views : 3425

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:25   #31
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
I'm sure most of you are aware of the OTHER danger of buying a car......but just in case some of you haven't heard this one.

YOU go to see a vehicle that you have seen either online, in the paper or similar. Ebay ones are favourite for this.

The buyer insists on you paying him in cash. Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. But think about it.

The seller KNOWS that you are coming to see the car and that you will have £***** either on you, or in your vehicle.

There have been several cases where the seller has had a rather large gentleman hanging about in the background. YOU are looking at a car that doesn't even belong to them, and they can and will MUG YOU for that cash!!

It's happened. so ALWAYS go with somebody else, and preferably NEVER take the cash with you. Park a little bit away from where you are going to meet, so that they have no idea how you have arrived, and make sure that the cash is well hidden. Only when you are 100% satisfied that everything is kosher....do the deal.

Be careful out there.
You are spot on there , i was nearly the victim at Wigan railway station when i was going to buy a peugeot van for the work, when the big black dudes requested my money seconds after i stood at the pre arranged meeting point just outside the entrance opposite the newsagents i handed over my stool wallet , it had no cards and less than a tenner in cash, the £3700 was in a fake draft cheque that i told them would cash at a natwest branch and give them if they showed me where it was. The boy with the knife said" this was supposed to be cash, what are you up to man ?" then by chance the railway police walked round the corner and i shouted FIRE, they ran over and the robbers legged it.
1/ when carrying more than £300 blabs in cash, assume you will be mugged and have a stooge wallet and crap pay as you go phone to hand over and plead with them not to take it.
2/ SHOUT FIRE as its the only thing that brings people running to help.
(if you don't believe this, try it somewhere)
3/ keep the cash in your crutch, they usually do not put a hand in your pants to feel around your tackle for it. It also protects the testicles when the kicking is administered.
4/ Don't buy a van in wigan
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:30   #32
lolinginthelolvo

Really, I am very sorry that happened to you, but 3 and 4 made me lol enough to disturb the entire office. Now they know I'm not working.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 21:36   #33
rtbcomp

When buying insist on going to the vendor's home address.

You can have a quick look on Google Maps and check him out on the electoral register, 192.com and similar.

Get his phone number and Google it, I've found out some very interesting stuff about people that way.

As said before, go with a friend and park out of sight.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 12:44   #34
Gazdok
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosejaw View Post
It's not a question of losing your car, what he wants is your Paypal and bank account details.

The way it goes is that these people. on seeing that you've fallen for their scheme, will then try the "Oh but Paypal is expensive, why don't I just transfer the money straight into your bank account" scam, and that's when your troubles really start.
Bank to Bank transfers are much more common in continental Europe and have been for years.
They are SAFE, unless the bank allows something to be set up without proof of identity, and your gas bill is not proof of identity. Your ID card / passport would be.
IBAN and swift codes as well as account numbers and sort codes will not normally give anyone access to your money.
If someone breaks the codes nothing is safe.

When we book a holiday abroad privately we usually transfer money via bank to bank transfer.
Even old fashioned british banks are catching up slowly - sadly at much higher cost / fees though.

I know Jeremy Clarkson can be an exception!!
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:56   #35
lewfry

Yeah stay away from anything like this. I fell for a scam and sent a pair of shoes to Nigeria once. Luckily it was only some second hand shoes. I was naive back then.
lewfry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scammer alert, scammer alert.