Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo governor - possible cheaper replacement

Views : 13625

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 18:51   #11
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Summary of parts used:

Governor from GSF: £32.82 using discount code offer10

VW/Bosch 2-way connector: £2 from scrapyard

Durite junior timer connector: £5.50

Total= £40.32, and you could probably knock a few quid of that if you source the connector a bit cheaper than I did.

Either way, the cheapest genuine governor seems to come in around around £140 so I've brought it in around £100 less.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 19:47   #12
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
Time for an update...

Last weekend I tried to measure the output from the vacuum pump and managed to convince myself it was faulty, so I located a used spare and fitted it today.

Having done that I measured the vac again and was only getting 10in/hg at any rpm.

After a bit of dismantling and measuring with a vacuum test pump I discovered that my governor was actually faulty, so this replacement exercise is actually required after all.

As per previous posts the connection on my new governor is not the same as the Volvo unit so I started there.

I was going to cut and splice the VW connector I got from the scrappy into the loom, but I had a change of heart and decided to make a patch lead just in case I wanted to revert to the original part.

Using the VW connector shown in a previous post, I attached a connector I bought from ebay. I'm sure these could be bought cheaper if you have a Farnell account (or similar), but I was pushed for time.

Comparison of original governor connection and new plug:

Patch lead made from VW plug and new plug:

Turning to the governor itself, once off it looked pretty identical to the VW/Audi part I had bought new. The main difference seemed to be the filter over the vent pipe.

Fortunately the vent filter assembly just clips off and can be fitted to the new part, so here is the new governor ready to fit;

Actually, it wasn't ready to fit - the new part has slightly narrower mounting slots although this was easily sorted with a round file.

The new governor with patch lead & filter all fitted:

After a brief test drive I can say that I think the car is stronger in the low/mid range - because the VNT will now be working It's smoother at idle - because the vac engine mounts are working, and I think it's less smoky as well. I am also hoping that the fuel consumption will improve, but only time will tell.

I did notice that when stationary (bonnet up) if I rev the car I can hear a venting type noise (dump valve-esque) when the throttle is released. This was not there before (probably due to no vacuum) and is not audible when driving the car.

I'm also happy to say that the persistent ECM6805 that the car has had has now gone
Really useful thread .

cheers
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 20:27   #13
Yosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
Really useful thread .

cheers
Thanks.

It's been really worthwhile for me as I know now the original governor was kaput. My vac pump was knackered too, but that's another story...

I've done a few more miles on the car and it's going really well. Far better low/mid power, no smoke, and no more ECM6805.

Also, the 'dump valve' type noise has more or less gone - it's certainly inaudible from within the car. I assume the ecu has adapted to the new vac pump and governor and is running as it should be again.

The last question for me is whether this will improve my fuel consumption, but I won't know that until I refuel and make the calculation (I don't trust the onboard figures). I can't help but think this can only improve the efficiency.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 15:29   #14
jimsvolvo

Smile D5 turbo governor

Hi
I'm new to this forum but this thread has worked.
Following your clear links the part from GSF is the exact same number as the volvo original, not the makers number but piedburgs part number.
Replacing this on my S60 d5 has made the car much smoother in the rev range. Have just filled the tank to full and will report back with mpg findings. Previous to this replacement I was getting 38-40mpg average. for the price difference of nearly £120 for Volvos part to the one from GSF this is a bargin.

Thanks again for you post.
jimsvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimsvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 16:53   #15
Yosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsvolvo View Post
Hi
I'm new to this forum but this thread has worked.
Following your clear links the part from GSF is the exact same number as the volvo original, not the makers number but piedburgs part number.
Replacing this on my S60 d5 has made the car much smoother in the rev range. Have just filled the tank to full and will report back with mpg findings. Previous to this replacement I was getting 38-40mpg average. for the price difference of nearly £120 for Volvos part to the one from GSF this is a bargin.

Thanks again for you post.
You're welcome. It's good to hear that someone else has been able to make this work.

Did you use the more expensive part with the proper connector, or make up a lead?

FWIW my car is still going well (much better than before this fix), but I haven't used it enough to make a decent judgement on improvement in economy (or not).
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 14:07   #16
jimsvolvo

Quote:
You're welcome. It's good to hear that someone else has been able to make this work.

Did you use the more expensive part with the proper connector, or make up a lead?

FWIW my car is still going well (much better than before this fix), but I haven't used it enough to make a decent judgement on improvement in economy (or not).
Hi, the part I used was the £36 one, I used a connector from a scap car (believe it was a 06 plate VW) cut off the Volvo one, leaving enough wire if ever needed to be re-connected, soldered the new connector in place and used heat shrink to insulate the wires. This keeps all wires looking neat and tidy.
Have also noticed the tick over to be smoother. Previous to the replaced governor I thought my rear engine pad was leaky. Reason for this was when I disconnected it and plugged the tube the engine sound changed, with new govenor fitted it makes no difference at all and the vibration felt on tick over before inside the car has now gone. Obviously the governor was leaking air somehow. Have done 130 miles of urban type driving and fuel gauge has not moved like it would have done before. Will only know true figure when I next fill up, but it looks promising.

Silly question but what does FWIW mean?
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to jimsvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 14:40   #17
Yosser

Quote:
Hi, the part I used was the £36 one
Excellent! - it's a bargain if you are confident/able with a few tools.

Quote:
Silly question but what does FWIW mean?
Cheers
Not a silly question, it's an abbreviation of For What It's Worth.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 17:05   #18
jimsvolvo

Just an update on how my car is running after this Turbo governor was replaced.
As stated previously the car is much smoother and enjoyable to drive.

Now the BIG test.... MPG?

I have just done 462 miles and decided to fill up. It took 46.2 litres divide that by 4.5 Approx the amount of ltrs to gallons you get 10.2 gallons, 462/10.2 = 45.29mpg

Thats 5mpg more than I was getting before.
So not only was the fix a heck of a lot cheaper but it wont be long before I have saved on my fuel too.

Once again Thanks for the initial info, very helpful

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm dumbing down the working out of mpg, just wanted to show how i do it.

Last edited by jimsvolvo; Nov 12th, 2012 at 17:12.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimsvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 19:15   #19
Yosser

Thanks again for the further update.

Good news that economy seems to have been improved, and all for £40 or so!!

I'll update on my own fuel figures after the next fillup, I'm not really putting too many miles on the car just now.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 18:33   #20
Yosser

Quote:
I'll update on my own fuel figures after the next fillup, I'm not really putting too many miles on the car just now.
Apologies for the delay, but having just returned from my annual Hogmanay trip up north I can report that the D5 averaged 43.47 mpg.

That figure is calculated rather than taken from the trip computer, it was reading a (very) optimistic 57 mpg......

Nothing else to report apart from the car is still going very well and there has been no return of my ecm 6805.