Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.8 petrol idle issues

Views : 9322

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 22:51   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
What is the best way to clean this? I've seen some videos where they put the key to position II and press the accelerator to open the valve. Or is it easier to disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes, remove air intake hose, unplug and unbolt the throttle body and after that clean it when it is off the car? And can I then open the butterfly valve when the throttle body is off the car (overriding the electric motor)

any help is appreciated
I've cleaned the throttle body recently and wrote a guide here with photos.

In my opinion you'll be able to clean it much better if you take it out of the engine, it's not difficult to do and doesn't take long.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 00:25   #12
volvopilot

thank you, that is very useful.

did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before you started unbolting?

And did you move the butterfly valve during the cleaning? I was wondering if this could be harmful to the potentiometer for the throttle position sensor.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvopilot For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 00:46   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
thank you, that is very useful.

did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before you started unbolting?

And did you move the butterfly valve during the cleaning? I was wondering if this could be harmful to the potentiometer for the throttle position sensor.
When I did this same job, I just unbolted the throttle body and cleaned up. Pushed the butterfly valve open with my finger.

Didnt disconnect any batteries etc and the car was fine.

If you're unsure, disconnect your battery anyway. Better to be safe that sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 11:06   #14
volvopilot

Thank you very much! I will try to clean the throttle body today.

In case of erratic idle after the cleaning, is there a way to do a relearn procedure without going to the dealership? It's a 2006 S40 1.8. Is this still a car you can reset by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes? I believe newer cars still save the ECU values even after disconnecting the battery.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 12:21   #15
volvopilot

I just cleaned the throttle body, off car. The guide was super useful, thank you very much for the detailed description. helped a lot.

I found that the throttle body itself wasn't too bad in terms of carbon deposit. However, the intake manifold, directly after the throttle body is completely covered in carbon. Is this a problem? It's a thin layer of carbon all over the inlet manifold, no blockages however. Only about 1mm thin.

Last edited by volvopilot; Mar 13th, 2018 at 13:59.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 17:46   #16
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
I just cleaned the throttle body, off car. The guide was super useful, thank you very much for the detailed description. helped a lot.

I found that the throttle body itself wasn't too bad in terms of carbon deposit. However, the intake manifold, directly after the throttle body is completely covered in carbon. Is this a problem? It's a thin layer of carbon all over the inlet manifold, no blockages however. Only about 1mm thin.
Just to answer your earlier question, no I didn't disconnect the battery, maybe I should have? But there was only 1 electrical connection which simply unplugged so I thought it was pretty safe.

Interesting that on your engine the intake manifold is metal, mine was plastic. I wiped inside it but not much came out and there was hardly any build up.

I have seen guides where they spray cleaner down into the intake manifold and agitate it, but if you do that you may find the engine cuts out a few times as it burns off unevaporated cleaner. It should start after a few goes though. Your choice if you want to try it or not.

Old Mar 14th, 2018, 07:40   #17
volvopilot

I did a test drive yesterday night and this morning and it looks like the RPM fluctuation problem has been resolved by cleaning the throttle body! even though there was very little carbon built up in the throttle body. It makes a huge difference.

Not just the rpm fluctuations are solved, but it feels like the car has way more power too. It is accelerating way faster and smoother. It picks up way better at lower rpm and has a very fast throttle response now.

so a very recommended maintenance item! A huge improvement. So I think this problem is solved for me now.

thanks again for the guide, very useful!
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 18:44   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
I did a test drive yesterday night and this morning and it looks like the RPM fluctuation problem has been resolved by cleaning the throttle body! even though there was very little carbon built up in the throttle body. It makes a huge difference.

Not just the rpm fluctuations are solved, but it feels like the car has way more power too. It is accelerating way faster and smoother. It picks up way better at lower rpm and has a very fast throttle response now.

so a very recommended maintenance item! A huge improvement. So I think this problem is solved for me now.

thanks again for the guide, very useful!
No problem and I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved! How many miles are on your car btw?

I also cleaned the throttle body on mine and my sister's old car (2001 1.3l Ford Fiesta) and it made a huge difference to the throttle response and the car felt much nippier (as nippy as a 60bhp engine could feel :P). I'm planning to clean the throttle body on her new car too (Mazda MX-5).

Old Mar 14th, 2018, 20:14   #19
volvopilot

it has 130k miles now (210k kms).
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 21:12   #20
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
it has 130k miles now (210k kms).
I'm on 135K miles, didn't have any issues with my throttle though, I did the clean as a preventative measure so hopefully it's saved me some aggro in the future!