Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 D5 (185)....Excessive Oil Consumption & Soot Filter Ful

Views : 32463

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2018, 12:46   #81
JJL

Just 1 other comment re this car: the engine compartment is a night mare. You would think big car, lot's of room... Volvo must have a different logic I would guess. Never had so much trouble working around an engine than this one, and this is an XC90, wonder how tings are on a XC70?
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 20:46   #82
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I spent some time reading all your different posts around this issue. Thank you all for taking the time to post your results and findings. It helps, believe me!
This is what I did, and where I'm at right now: High oil consumptions (1L every fuel fill at the end). The oil consumption increased gradually since 1 year, with more frequent DPF regenerations. The DPF regeneration would engage each time I go high engine rpm's (Above 2500rpm's). Changed oil to 5W30 instead of 0W30, No difference. Checked pressure on top engine cover with a rubber glove (As Robert DIY was showing): the glove would inflate but stay in place with engine cold. As soon as engine get's warm, she would pop off. Checked the PCV valve membrane: couldn't find any signs of wear or leaks on that one. Pressure has to come from somewhere else. I finally decided to open up the top of the engine. The inside is a disaster... Valves are completely filled with soot, top of pistons as well. There is even small layers of soot on the sealing surface of some inlet valves. Interesting enough, inlet valves channels are way more dirty than the outlet valve channels. As engine head is removed, checked as well the turbo: no real issue with that one, you were right Osullivant! I'm cleaning the compleet head right now: removed the valve stem seals. Haven't found any of the seal different from the others, but I must admit all of them have become very hard at the top. Is this the root cause? I would guess, but not 100% sure. I will check the vaccuum system as mentionned by a post earlier. Should I check any other parts at this stage, before fitting back the engine head?
as you have the head off you should do the rings as well.... it is the easiest part of job, sump comes off easily, then only 10 bolts on the conrods and up pop your pistons,

after doing all of this work I still had soot filter full until I changed the PCV and cleaned the DPF,,
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 16:39   #83
Christerart
VOC Member

Man, these posts are putting me off Volvo's Euro 4 engines...
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 18:41   #84
aland

Just read the whole thread.
I have a 2008 D5 185 manual on 165k miles that does not use any oil - but MPG isn't great.
Hopefully the oil situation doesn't change, but better MPG would be appreciated !
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 21:00   #85
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Out of interest, what mpg are you getting?

I've recently bought a 2007 XC90 D5 Geartronic and seem to be getting around 32mpg solo and about 24mpg with the caravan on the back.

No oil used in the 1000 miles that I've put on it so far and seems to pull well.

I had absolutely no issues on my S60 D5 E4 when I had it and put over 60k on it. No oil used and never once a soot filter full message.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 21:34   #86
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
It depends who's driving. I've just filled it and calculated the real MPG of the last tank, which was mostly driven by my lead-foot wife, doing local trips mainly and one longer journey, and it was 24.8.
I can get around that towing my 1.5T caravan, or about 23 when 5-up, bikes on top, and fully loaded for 2 weeks in France.

I always find a reasonable improvement if premium V-Power or similar fuel is used, especially on the 2nd and 3rd tanks if it has several in a row.
Last time I worked it out the improved efficiency didn't quite offset the extra cost, but sometimes the extra range is useful, especially when towing.
I'm about to do a 500 mile weekend, of which 400 will be towing and 100 around the hilly Yorkshire Dales, so will see how much it chews through.

I also have a E3 163 D5 in a V70 which always returns high 40's, although the car is lighter that engine seems way more efficient.
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aland For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:47   #87
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post

I've recently bought a 2007 XC90 D5 Geartronic and seem to be getting around 32mpg solo and about 24mpg with the caravan on the back.
In my MY2009 XC90 with 127,000km on it (79,000 miles) I get typically 9 to 10L / 100km (28 MPG to 31 MPG) mixed motorway and around town.
Real-life MPG, not displayed MPG.
The displayed figure in the car is around 10% more optimistic than real-life
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 07:43   #88
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

To be fair Swiss, I never pay much attention to the car's av mpg readout as I always work off actual fuel used against mileage covered doing brim to brim fill ups.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 17:00   #89
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Same here - consistently hovers around 32mpg except long motorway journeys where it creeps up to around 34mpg.

I have lead feet so car rarely dips below 75mph when on the motorway - I am sure if I hovered around 70 mpg would rise quite a bit more as I know the wind resistance rises quite substantially once you head towards 80mph.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 22:01   #90
green wellies

I've been away a while so if you have covered this please forgive me.

Volvo V70 D5 08 Manual 185BHP 140Kmiles

Recently started using lots of oil, now top to bottom of dipstick in 500 miles.

DPF clogs regularly I guess because of the oil consumption. (I do quite a few short journeys but generally at least a 200 mile motorway journey every couple of weeks)

Changed oil breather diaphragm, hasn't made any difference.

Always burned a lot of fuel low 30's on mixed driving (my 02 V70 always returned around 40mpg)

No visible smoke or smell, goes well but engine never sounds very sweet, lumpy idle and almost stalls when coasting to a stop, especially with aircon on. (blip throttle and it returns to a smoother idle)

Air pipes from turbo not excessively oily inside.

When driving with the windows down you can hear what sounds like belt chatter when the engine is under load at around 1500RPM. (it isn't belt chatter) I assumed this was the turbo 'flipping over' but now I'm not so sure. Lots of other wheezing and breathing noises when you lift off etc, but I'm pretty sure the intercooler is OK and all pipes seem OK.

I'm thinking oil leak on exhaust side of turbo and a recon turbo wouldn't be too painful, but if there is more than that wrong then it is probably time for a new car!
green wellies is offline   Reply With Quote