Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rse problem

Views : 3135

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 15:21   #1
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Default Rse problem

Hi all I have the rear entertainment with the screens and DVD player in the arm rest which has been fine until now ( 4 years of ownership).

But today it has played up I have done a search on here but couldn’t find anything with the same problem, I have never had the headphones so always played the sound through the rear speakers but today it plays fine but no sound I have tried different discs but nothing it says speakers on but no sound.

Was seeing if anyone else has had the same issue, it’s a 56 reg d5 as well thanks a lot.

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:33   #2
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Sorry forgot to mention over the last month when the system was switched on there has been a popping noise through the speakers not sure if it’s connected but best guess saying it is.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:47   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Had a quick look this morning, fuses are ok but did notice when sat in the back pressing the speaker button on the remote I can hear a clicking like a relay or something switching between headphones and speakers, but still not working but did plug some headphones into the jacks and it works so they can still use them for now.

But should be fun trying to find someone who can have a look at it , will keep you updated.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:06   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Electricals..... hateful things to remedy. Either simple or impossible... to the uneducated like me !
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:28   #5
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I’m the same electricals are not my strong point just been messing with it when the radio is on the rear speakers are working , you press the speaker button on the remote and they click off but no sound from the dvd, I am abit stuck, i am hoping it’s something simple.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:37   #6
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

The best person I would say on this is SwissXC90... he is a Guru with Electrics.... and everything else. Im sure he will be along soon.....
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:56   #7
Danielpsmith
Master Member

It would be nice if someone new something but not to much hope at the moment just spoke to a Volvo dealer and they said that system doesn’t have any common problems with it and it would be £120+ vat just to look at it but weren’t confident they would find anything.

I’m hoping to find someone who knows the system and has experience in it but struggling at the moment.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:22   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I read this thread yesterday but didn't respond as it contains too little information.

To be able to provide any meaningful response we need to start with the basics: identifying the system.

What MY XC90 is it?
This is critical for any response as the RSE system changed over the years.
Please respond with the MY (model year), do not post the UK registration plate information (UK registrations mean nothing outside the UK, and I'm in Switzerland). If you don't know the MY, PM me the VIN and then I can look it up for you. For security reasons, don't post your VIN on the forum (it will be visible to the entire world...)

What market was the XC90 made for?
If you don't know, try and figure out what country it was first registered in.
Reason for the question: The RSE in the UK was, for some years, different to the RSE in Europe and the rest of the world. And even the USA had a different RSE to Europe for some model years.
And I won't even go into the model differences for Japan and Malaysia....

What type of remote control is used with the RSE?
Describe it, or provide a photo. This is the easiest way to identify which RSE is fitted. In fact, it is the method VIDA uses for Volvo techs to positively identify the RSE version.

Once we have identified this basic information, I can give you some tips on what to check and where the problem is likely to lie.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:24.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:42   #9
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Hi Swiss thanks for the reply I was just taking a photo of the controller and switched it on by mistake and sound was working which is very strange I haven’t done anything to it so not really sure what was wrong or what is wrong. When I pick the kids up from school will get them to try again to see if it was a one off or they are playing up again, will post back later thanks again for the replies.

Daniel
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 14:15   #10
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

I guess as the player is in the armrest its a "factory system" and not the Volvo UK system.

I have seen this if ....

1/ the headunit is not set to "aux" position (to play through the speakers.)
2/ the remote control has set the volume to minimum
3/ the rear headphone controls on the pillar has been set to one of the radio functions (if fitted and although no headphone is attached, it seems to mute the DVD player.)
4/ something is attached to the AUX (red, white and yellow phono sockets) above the ashtray in the rear console.

Hopefully its one of your kids playing with the controls

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote