Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5244T15 Vacuum / PCV

Views : 1045

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 13:17   #1
mttrnd

Default D5244T15 Vacuum / PCV

Greetings all,

Just picked up a (new to me) 63' MY14 V70 D5 215 Geartronic with approx 80k on the clock, FDSH and seemingly well looked after, not towed, etc.
Getting to know the car/engine and finding a few questions as I dig around under the bonnet.

I'm getting a fair amount of white crankcase vapours if I remove the filler cap at idle, but looks similar to other videos I've seen and I understand that this is more or less characteristic / normal for these engines.

(Running well, no mayo, vapours suck back in if revved, no pressure buildup / bad blow-by detectable)

However I am getting the louder vacuum leak noise as described in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHLyubTrIQ8&t

Most of the threads and videos refer to older variants, where the vacuum leak usually happened on one of the engine mount lines and would affect performance due to the vacuum-actuated turbo vanes.

However I can't find much information on the later gen D5s... is this noise a problem on these engines? Do these still have vacumatic engine mounts? Does anyone have a schematic to help trace the lines?

If it is relevant, I also seem to have excess oil leaking from a loose connection where the crankcase breather vents back into the air intake just above the oil filter.
(As described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhsfrZ6vKE)
Its fouled up the piping and underside of the engine cover, but seems to be the only place I'm leaking from. No other leaks apparent, no injector blow-by, etc. Will clean and seal it up better at some point.

Is this normal?
Do I have a crankcase ventilation or PCV issue, in which case where should I start to look on these newer engines?

Many thanks
mttrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:45   #2
Mattjames

Hi mttrnd,

I have just bought a 2015 xc60 polestar version D5 AWD (new to this forum) and I have found exactly the same issues that you have, the noise from the oil filler is very loud, almost clicking sound but it reduces when I pump the brakes.

I also have the oil leak around the crankcase breather hose where it enters the air intake on the intake bend, and some oil around the rear left hand connection of the intake behind the engine.

Can you let me know if you have resolved this issue with yours, or any information you may have found out, also if anyone has any further thoughts on this?

Thanks very much.
Mattjames is offline   Reply With Quote