Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A1 Wentbridge 40mph roadworks speed camera

Views : 2282

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:19   #1
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default A1 Wentbridge 40mph roadworks speed camera

There's a short section of the A1 at Wentbridge (just north of the 'twin' Shell stations), with a 40mph limit in the roadworks. I drove south this morning and I was convinced the signage read 'Average Speed Camera' - but I could see no cameras. Returning this afternoon northbound I once again 'think' I read 'Average Speed Camera', but dropping down to the B6474 bridge over the A1 there was a static camera van clocking the traffic. Now I know I was (with all the other traffic) doing over 40mph - not greatly - but I can't be certain.
If anyone is driving this section northbound or southbound I'd really appreciate feedback on whether the signage states 'Average Speed Camera' or simply 'Speed Camera'. If it states Average, then a single observation over the limit is probably not going to stand up to a legal challenge.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:34   #2
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I've been up & down the A1 from Washington to the Black Cat roundabout & back almost every Saturday for the last 6 weeks.

I guess you mean the 40mph limit where the rumour is they're doing something to the bridge. I can only recall seeing signs stating Average Speed Camera's in operation but not seen any evidence of a camera.

40mph is pretty hairy on that stretch as each time I've ended up with a HGV sat right on my back bumper willing me to speed up. I've been sitting through that section at an indicated 44 or 45 on the cruise control which equates to about 42 according to GPS.

I'm back down that stretch again on Saturday so will confirm the signage.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 22:44   #3
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
I'm back down that stretch again on Saturday so will confirm the signage.
Thanks Andy. There was little evidence of any actual roadworks today. Just a load of bollards on the verge. Men at work 'gone home' I guess.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 02:31   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I've not driven this section of the A1 for a while, but the location is irrelevant. Wether the signs state average, fixed or even hand held camera, if you exceed the posted red ringed speed limit sign then you have the possibility of opening yourself up to a NIP. I think there is a misconception of how average speed cameras work, (distance v time), for example in a particular stretch of average speed enforcement there will be multiple cameras which work in pairs, but you don't know which cameras are paired together, so you can't get away by speeding through one set and slowing down for the next pair.

Unusual to have fixed and average cameras together though, were they monitoring the same road?. However, if the numbers on your speedometer exceeded the numbers on the round circle with a red border, 'there could be trouble ahead'.

Hopefully you will be within the tolerance and no nasty surprise on the door mat.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 03:30   #5
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

It doesn't matter what the camera signage states as they are just there as a warning to keep to the speed limit.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 07:41   #6
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

It’s 100% says average I’ve been through it twice this week already. No signs of any cameras or camera van tho when I went through.

However was the camera van just a workers camera van? They have white vans with the camera sign on them but as far as I know they are just cctv and not speed. Did you see a hatch open with a speed gun pointing out of it?

I see North Yorkshire camera vans now sit on the A1 bridges. They never used to!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 07:52   #7
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I see North Yorkshire camera vans now sit on the A1 bridges. They never used to!
Obviously they're short of cash so needing to top up the piggy bank :-)

They also seem to work weekends & later into the evening.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:28   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
However was the camera van just a workers camera van? They have white vans with the camera sign on them but as far as I know they are just cctv and not speed. Did you see a hatch open with a speed gun pointing out of it?
Graham - you make a very good point. There was NO camera pointing out of the side of the white van, but just 'dark glass'. I fleetingly saw the words 'safety camera' so there's every chance it was - as you suggest - a CCTV to monitor the workers (except, they had gone home !).
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:44   #9
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Unusual to have fixed and average cameras together though, were they monitoring the same road?. However, if the numbers on your speedometer exceeded the numbers on the round circle with a red border, 'there could be trouble ahead'.
Mike - point taken. Actually there is no average speed camera on this short section - barely a mile in length. It's very unusual because I drive through endless 'average speed' cameras on the A1 (Scotch Corner works now thankfully finished) and the M6 in Cheshire (another epic project), and also shorter sections on the M5. I've never seen 'average speed camera' signs before without the classic SPECS cameras being installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:56   #10
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Graham - you make a very good point. There was NO camera pointing out of the side of the white van, but just 'dark glass'. I fleetingly saw the words 'safety camera' so there's every chance it was - as you suggest - a CCTV to monitor the workers (except, they had gone home !).
In that case your absolutely fine, you can’t operate a speed camera through a glass panel anyway so no need to worry I would say. I’m certain these are just for in case an accident happens because I’m sure they are operated by the construction company not an enforcement agency.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post: