Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking noise - road speed related

Views : 1134

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:06   #11
EVOLVOLUTION
VAG 2.5 TDI

Loose wheel[lug]nuts perhaps?......................I had this once.....just a thought.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:51   #12
stellamon

I had a knocking noise on my vectra, narrowed it down to a loose anti roll bar link bolt.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:22   #13
reggit
Premier Member

Not doing it today after I'd been messing with (read examining) the driveshaft yesterday. Typical!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:39   #14
stellamon

Took me a while to narrow it down to the front nearside somewhere. In the end I had it up on the ramps with the wife rocking it side to side while I was under it looking and listening for the knocking.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 22:22   #15
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Not doing it today after I'd been messing with (read examining) the driveshaft yesterday. Typical!!
Assuming in doing that you had the car jacked up with the wheels hanging, I'd look again to one or other of the drive shafts. I had a similar issue some years ago, although mine showed itself more as a vibration. When you jack up the car there's movement within the couplings which settle for a time in a less well worn part. After driving some distance all the internals resettle themselves back where you get noise or vibration.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:07   #16
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnj View Post
Assuming in doing that you had the car jacked up with the wheels hanging, I'd look again to one or other of the drive shafts. I had a similar issue some years ago, although mine showed itself more as a vibration. When you jack up the car there's movement within the couplings which settle for a time in a less well worn part. After driving some distance all the internals resettle themselves back where you get noise or vibration.
That’s good to hear! I’ve got a drivers side shaft on the way. Could feel what seemed to me to be too much lash in the outer cv joint. The thing’s got 200k on it, so likely coming to the end of its life.