Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 drivetrain issues

Views : 1528

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2022, 16:35   #1
NigelO

Default XC60 drivetrain issues

Apologies for the long first post - I thought I'd give as much info as possible.

My wife has a 2012 XC60 2.4 AWD Geartronic - the 212bhp version. It has 103,000 miles on it and has full service history. We've been chuffed with it since buying it four years ago - it feels genuinely 'premium' and other than a set of springs and some brakes, it has needed nothing. Definitely a smarter choice than anything German....

Wifey only drives short distances (c 30 miles a day max) and never notices any issues with the car. However, I occasionally drive it for long distances and I've noticed a worsening problem.

At very low speeds (ie walking pace or less), and ONLY when it has been driven at motorway speeds for (say) an hour or so, the front offside (ie r/h side) driveshaft sounds like it's about to fall out. It clanks loudly every wheel revolution. As soon as the speed is back up above 20-ish mph, the sound goes away and all is well. I was on a 2-hour trip last weekend and when I got stuck in crawling-speed traffic on the motorway, I moved over to the nearside lane, as I was convinced it was about to break down. I could feel each clank through the steering wheel, seat, pedals and floor.

When the car has only been driven for about half an hour, the same corner clunks when coming to a halt, or taking up drive, but nowhere near as loudly, and only when moving off or coming to a halt - never when moving.

The best I can describe the sound is if a brake pad is VERY loose in the caliper and was clunking backwards and forwards

I'm decently mechanically minded, so I was utterly convinced that the issue was a failing driveshaft or outer CV joint (it rumbles very slightly when pulling away with a bit of steering lock on). The severity of the noise is related directly to how long it had been driven and how fast it was driven, so I'm guessing it is heat-related.

However, I've just had the car serviced by my regular garage and they checked the driveshaft thoroughly and could detect only very minimal play - certainly not enough to cause the noise I was describing. they did comment that there was a fair bit of backlash in the drivetrain when turning the front wheels in opposite directions.

It feels like the sound is coming from the wheel arch end, but I'm now beginning to suspect that the sound is travelling and that it's actually coming from the gearbox / diff.

I know the Geartronic box has a dubious reputation at high mileage - I had the gearbox oil replaced by a local Volvo indy a couple of years ago. It made a fair difference at the time, but now the box is making a few noises and taking up drive can occasionally come in with a thump. Generall once rolling, it behaves just fine, with no rev flare on gear changes.

I'm now terrified that the car is about to throw a huge bill - any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? Fix it? Sell it? Set fire to it?

Thanks in advance
NigelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 17:24   #2
Adrian B

This is probably not the cause but just check the bolt that holds the wheel bearing into the drive shaft is tight to the recognised torque etc. If not replace the bolt with a new one as they can stretch/ loosen etc.part number
30640878. Regards
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 17:25   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

A worn driveshaft or damaged CV joint would generate noise all the time - not just after a motorway jaunt.

There is only one part of the differential that turns at road speed and the entire gearbox turns much faster so if your clunks are every wheel revolution - it's not that either. And the gearbox is on the nearside of the car...

That doesn't leave much left - the rotating masses on the RH side are the driveshaft, hub/wheel bearing and brake disc...

I would forget that it's just been serviced and start from scratch. I would check the following :

- Road wheel bolt torque

- Brake caliper mount bolt and pin torque

- The driveshaft centre bolth through the hub torque - this is my top suspect - this is a stretch bolt, you tighten it to a specified torque and the a number of partial turns, so probably best just to buy a new one from the dealer.

I'm fairly sure it will be something trivial that needs tightening up rather than a fundamental defect with the gearbox. If the above don't locate the cause, I would drive it on the motorway and then find a quiet road so your wife can drive the car at walking pace and you can follow it outside to look and listen. It's unlikely but possibly a failing wheel bearing.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 30th, 2022 at 17:27.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 18:40   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Maybe check your angle gear output shaft?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 10:54   #5
NigelO

Thanks for the replies so far folks - much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

- The driveshaft centre bolth through the hub torque - this is my top suspect - this is a stretch bolt, you tighten it to a specified torque and the a number of partial turns, so probably best just to buy a new one from the dealer.
Now that sounds like a plausible diagnosis - it fits perfectly with my "loose brake pad in the caliper" description of the noise. As I mentioned, the noise starts after about half an hour's driving and it only makes a noise when coming to a halt or pulling away. Given it's an auto, then this coincides with the braking.

A CV joint spline loosening in the bearing as the heat builds sounds quite logical.

I'll get hold of a new nut and try it - I'll keep you posted. The problem is that I don't drive the car much, so it may be a while before I get to see if it make an improvement.

EDIT - just searched for the part number given by Adrian B above (thanks btw ). As usual, Google offered a plethora of links, but I've now learned about "axle-ping" (on the XC90, admittedly) - sounds very much like what I'm experiencing - will investigate further.

Last edited by NigelO; Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:04.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 11:30   #6
Adrian B

Punch the part number in eBay. 30640878 you can get a generic and the original Volvo part. Your choice.regards
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 14:14   #7
NigelO

driveshaft bolts are on their way - can anyone help with the torque settings (I think someone mentioned its 'x' lb-ft, then 'y' degrees)

£5.40 each including VAT, so I bought two (might as well do both sides...)
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 16:53   #8
Adrian B

I have read 35 Nm + 90 degrees

Not positive though

Google it, I am sure it's there somewhere
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 18:54   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelO View Post
Thanks for the replies so far folks - much appreciated.

Now that sounds like a plausible diagnosis - it fits perfectly with my "loose brake pad in the caliper" description of the noise. As I mentioned, the noise starts after about half an hour's driving and it only makes a noise when coming to a halt or pulling away. Given it's an auto, then this coincides with the braking.

A CV joint spline loosening in the bearing as the heat builds sounds quite logical.

I'll get hold of a new nut and try it - I'll keep you posted. The problem is that I don't drive the car much, so it may be a while before I get to see if it make an improvement.

EDIT - just searched for the part number given by Adrian B above (thanks btw ). As usual, Google offered a plethora of links, but I've now learned about "axle-ping" (on the XC90, admittedly) - sounds very much like what I'm experiencing - will investigate further.
Yep - axle ping - it was a common issue on Mk1 XC90 but does affect models with FoMoCo suspension parts, I have had the issue on my 2015 XC60. I would suggest the difference a long run makes is the bearing/hub warms up.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 20:05   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yep - axle ping - it was a common issue on Mk1 XC90 but does affect models with FoMoCo suspension parts, I have had the issue on my 2015 XC60. I would suggest the difference a long run makes is the bearing/hub warms up.
Mine had axle pong when I bought it at 65k and still has it now at 125k but has never caused me an issue.

Somewhere in the garage I bought new axle
Bolts and
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote