Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery and collision avoidance

Views : 1561

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 10:29   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Volvo has never come clean on the 12v battery issue, apart from them maybe adding in a ‘deeper-sleep’ mode when the car is not used for an extended period of time, to reduce battery drain. (this still needs to be confirmed)
‘Deep-sleep’ has always been there for Sensus based cars. The modem and some other systems switch off after 5 days. From day 6 to 28(?) the modem wakes up once per day. After day ~28 it stays off.

Previously: MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse Momentum with many options
Lexman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 16:22   #12
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
‘Deep-sleep’ has always been there for Sensus based cars. The modem and some other systems switch off after 5 days. From day 6 to 28(?) the modem wakes up once per day. After day ~28 it stays off.
Many thanks for that info. Do you by any chance have similar info for the AAOS based cars?

The reason I mentioned this deeper-sleep mode was that there have been a number of recent posts about people seeing “car offline” for the first time when using the Volvo phone app. (I also now see this message after the car has been parked up for some time). I had never seen this message in the past, even with the car being parked up for over a month.

The question is: has this “car offline” message been recently added through a recent software update? And if yes, does this coincide with Volvo implementing an even ‘deeper-sleep’ mode function, to try and mitigate the 12v battery drainage issue?
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 19:35   #13
Hadajag

I am sorry but the 2 previous posters seem to miss the point. The electrical system on any Sensus generation car bears no resemblance to that on the MY22 MHEV and later cars. This is not related to the change from Sensus to AAOS other that in timing the change occurred at about the same time.

Last edited by Hadajag; Feb 10th, 2024 at 19:40.
Hadajag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 20:02   #14
Hadajag

To add to my beef!
Thinking around this then according to the info from Volvo and other posters on this forum I cannot park my car at an airport for a 2 week holiday let alone a 3 week cruise and return and find my car will not start and ]if it does perform with all safety facilities inactive. THIS CANNOT BE CORRECT!
This is a car designed and manufactured in Sweden where winter sustainability and safety is of premier importance. So what gives?

Last edited by Hadajag; Feb 10th, 2024 at 20:04.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:22   #15
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you by any chance have similar info for the AAOS based cars?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with AAOS based cars as I'm still awaiting delivery of mine.

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:24   #16
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadajag View Post
I am sorry but the 2 previous posters seem to miss the point.
I didn't miss the point; I was simply pointing out how Sensus based cars operate.

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 11:25   #17
Hadajag

Posted in error.

Last edited by Hadajag; Feb 11th, 2024 at 11:31.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 10:18   #18
Hadajag

Quote:
It may also be worth contacting The Motor Ombudsman regards this .
Hello sorry for delay in reply. Did you initially formally complain to Volvo before contacting the Ombudsman? If so which department and address did you write to or email?
Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 14:38   #19
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadajag View Post
Hello sorry for delay in reply. Did you initially formally complain to Volvo before contacting the Ombudsman? If so which department and address did you write to or email?
Thanks
Background:

I first went back to my purchasing dealer to raise the issue.

As my dealer was just as much in the dark as I was, they recommend for me to raise the issue with the Volvo Customer Care part of Volvo UK. custcare@volvocars.com

Volvo Customer Care were OKish to deal with, but they also could not really do anything and had to then pass my issue onto the Volvo Factory – I assume in Sweden. The Factory came back with a weak reply.

Once The Motor Ombudsman got involved, I did at least then get a proper answer back from the Volvo Factory. It was not what I wanted to hear, but at least I was able to get closure on the matter.

I guess I could have taken this down the Trades Description Act route as Volvo sales materials did not state the removal of features in AAOS, that were there in Sensus for many, many years. I just ran out of energy and had more pressing things to be getting on with.

I wish you success if you do pursue things further.
The Following User Says Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 11:58   #20
Boatie
Master Member

Whilst I recognise that your issue regarding involving the Motor Ombudsman didn't fall within their terms of reference it should be pointed out that their involvement, currently, should be viewed as a long term option.
In January 2023 I replaced my 3 year old V90 D5 Powerpulse R Design Plus for a new Kia Plug In Hybrid Niro 4. (the biggest car related mistake of my 60 years of motoring). From day one there was a fault in the scheduled charging setup. Basically there was a 50/50 chance of the traction battery charging. After any number of months of Kia failing to resolve the issue I went down the Motor Ombudsman line. (this was in August 2023). I followed the process precisely and was told the matter was appropriate for them to act. At that stage I was also
told that there was a delay of "at least 6 months" before it would be referred to a caseworker. In other words the earliest I could expect movement (not resolution) would be mid/late April 2024.
3 weeks ago I gave up and bought a 3 month old XC40 B4 Ultimate. Very happy but £12000 poorer.