Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54386

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2017, 19:41   #81
BritInSweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInSweden View Post
Found these detailed vids showing exactly whats being discussed but for s60. Not sure if relevant for v70? Having a crack at my bulbs soon.

Watch "2008 Volvo s60 driver side light replacement" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/c2ZcowAW7ts

Watch "2008 Volvo s60 passenger headlight replacement" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/_XBWSWtcsM8
Just did it following these two videos exactly and it works for my 05 D5. Took about an hour mainly because I'm slow and had to keep checking the vid. Next time reckon less than half hour. I did try getting my fingers in without taking anything away but felt akin to Stevie Wonder reading a cheese grater but more painful.
Didn't fully remove air filter just unclipped and pushed to one side and gave it a clean out which it badly need. Massive sighs of relief!
BritInSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 20:32   #82
bob865349
Bob865349

Having spent 2 hours replacing the near side dipped beam bulb then having it blow again 10 days later I decided that I would let my local Volvo dealer have the pleasure this time, cost me £40 but better than getting frustrated with a very fiddely job. But afterwards I thought about it and the problem I had on a 2006 V70 D5 was the MAF box was restricting access it was very difficult to get the bulb in the right place so I came up with the idea of using a short piece of 1/2" garden hose 2"-3" long and if you crush it between your finger it will go into an oval shape which you then push over the 2 terminals on the back of the bulb this gives you something to hold onto and should let you rotate and position the bulb with the tab located correctly, that was what took so long the first time. I haven't tried it yet as the bulb has been replaced but it should work and might be a useful tip in the future.

Update I have used this method and it works.
bob865349 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob865349 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 20:51   #83
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Reminder

A little dab of dielectric grease on the contact points reduced resistance, reduces heat and extends bulb life.

If a lot of fumbling is inevitable seat the bulb first then add the grease to the socket. This will keep the grease off your fingers and the lamp.

It's easy on the H7 bulbs. The H11's, with their plugs, are best done with a toothpick.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:30   #84
fivecylelan

Thumbs up Use someone else's knuckles!That's the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifeflier View Post
I can now confirm that this is indeed the way to do it! No taking off bumpers etc... I took the car round to my local mechanic and watched while he did it. Charged me a fiver (for the bulb)! He reckoned the o/s might be more tricky though, with the ECM having to come out, although it looked to us it might just be that the outer casing comes away, probably in 3 parts.

Thanks again for your info, Alec.

Cheers, Jim

Yep, last OctoberI went round to our local spares shop (Motorspares)in little ol' Downend, S Glos, to buy a replacement front bulb (can't remember main or dipped) and they OFFERED to replace it- yes, for a fiver. Which the guy did- took 20 minutes mind you- but no skinned knuckles- so I gave him a tenner, well, well worth it!
Alan
fivecylelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 17:11   #85
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInSweden View Post
Found these detailed vids showing exactly whats being discussed but for s60. Not sure if relevant for v70? Having a crack at my bulbs soon.

Watch "2008 Volvo s60 driver side light replacement" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/c2ZcowAW7ts

Watch "2008 Volvo s60 passenger headlight replacement" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/_XBWSWtcsM8

I did a video as well with a some extra details such as bulb rotating direction and bulbs type https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzDCjcM0TPE
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 22:58   #86
Planet_Ovlov

Just a quick thanks for the op’s original write up, followed that and a YouTube tutorial to change my nearside bulb around 10pm last night. Airbox off with 9mm socket for me.

Upside down car yoga with phone torch, near sightedness came into it’s own. Removed spectacles and left them on the engine bay. Total job around 30 minutes.
Planet_Ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 09:37   #87
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Ovlov View Post
Just a quick thanks for the op’s original write up, followed that and a YouTube tutorial to change my nearside bulb around 10pm last night. Airbox off with 9mm socket for me.

Upside down car yoga with phone torch, near sightedness came into it’s own. Removed spectacles and left them on the engine bay. Total job around 30 minutes.
not bad , volvo allow 20 minutes for this operation ... :-)
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 06:46   #88
kymg

I have changed both the high and low beam globes on my 2002 V70 and whilst it is a bit tricky and can be a bit scarring, I have not found it too difficult .

I have changed the headlight globes on 2007 V50 and that look difficult but is pretty easy I have to say.
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:11   #89
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymg View Post
I have changed both the high and low beam globes on my 2002 V70 and whilst it is a bit tricky and can be a bit scarring, I have not found it too difficult .

I have changed the headlight globes on 2007 V50 and that look difficult but is pretty easy I have to say.

2001-2004 S60 V70 had high quality headlight units with thick glass cover and well designed. Access was restricted by the airbox and ECM box, but once inside the bulb is indeed removed/replaced with ease (if a little fiddling)

Then from 2005 on some Volvo put a much cheaper and flimsy headlight with plastic cover. These are horrendous to replace the bulbs, I would advise buying a box with band-aids in advance. Basically, once the access to the bulbs is clear, I had to use pliers to unscrew the bulb (on 01-04 these are only secured with a metal clip), not to mention it is not clear which way those have to be unscrewed. Scary design, I think the engineer who did it is still ashamed to this day
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:21   #90
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
2001-2004 S60 V70 had high quality headlight units with thick glass cover and well designed. Access was restricted by the airbox and ECM box, but once inside the bulb is indeed removed/replaced with ease (if a little fiddling)

Then from 2005 on some Volvo put a much cheaper and flimsy headlight with plastic cover. These are horrendous to replace the bulbs, I would advise buying a box with band-aids in advance. Basically, once the access to the bulbs is clear, I had to use pliers to unscrew the bulb (on 01-04 these are only secured with a metal clip), not to mention it is not clear which way those have to be unscrewed. Scary design, I think the engineer who did it is still ashamed to this day
Yes the Ford cost cutting started for 2005 , only one bonnet strut instead of two as well and the CEM was different with poor water sealing ! Later the two hydraulic rams on the power tailgate of the V70 were quickly replaced by one , then the system was dropped for troublesome Ford electric struts .

Ford has just about gone now 9 years after dumping volvo after taking their technology , but i think volvo must have kept on some Ford engineers on the Genuine Volvo VEA engine which has a typical Ford plastic inlet manifold which is melting and causing a recall .. see other thread !